Model Cars Magazine Forum

62 Corvette Hardtop Big Tank Big Brake Car

Duntov

Just a bit about my next project:

It looks like it is possible to fit the the hard top from the old AMT 62 Corvette kit to the new Revell 62. See the photo... some sanding and adjusting will be required.

I plan on building this car as a "big tank" and "big brake" car with the hard top...... this is a rare vehicle in the 1:1 world..... I will also source some dog dish hub caps as well. The resin aftermarket has the needed finned brake drums and the elephant ears will be scratch built.

Note that cars altered for race purposes had the tank fill relocated to the middle of the rear window in a plexiglass box.... the big tank car pictured here is how they were delivered in stock trim.... My current plan is to use the wheels tires and hub caps from the Revell Black Widow.... the hub caps are not correct but until I source a correct set this is the direction I will take. Also, note the significant overlap of the quarter panel window over the rear door seam.

See the photos.....more as I make progress.....

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

62Uptop-vi.jpg

ScreenShot20121120at11_28_15AM-vi.png

ScreenShot20121120at12_12_18PM-vi.png

Edited by Duntov

Just goes to show that both the AMT team and the Revell team who scaled the windshield headers did their jobs close-to-right. After all, they are essentially the same car, in the same scale, so if the scaling was done correctly on both models, they SHOULD fit as if they were made for each other.

I'm glad you've done the actual investigation here.....I'll surely be buying one of the Revell kits now.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The next step in the hard top process..... the front header bar on the hard top needs to be carefully removed, the top leading edge sanded and the header bar re-attached.... see the dotted line in the photo. Also, I highlighted the rear deck panel line with a marker and now you can see where I will need to align the bottom of the top on that deck.... a small "V" will be filed into the bottom of that part to clear the wind split on the rear deck.....

You can see in the reference photo how close the rear bow is to the rear panel line..... this is the adjustment that is required on the top from the 57....mine could actually be a bit closer yet..... I will adjust accordingly.....

One additional note.... the glass for this part has the notch to accommodate the rear wind split but the wing windows do NOT line up with the doors so forming your own windows will be required....

More later

Bill

HardTopAlignment-vi.jpg

ScreenShot20121120at3_12_02PM-vi.png

Edited by Duntov

Looks good Bill! Which AMT '57 Corvette has the top with it? I've bought a few of the street machine versions and they don't come with a top. But, I only use them for parts anyway. I look forward to watching you build this kit.

Looks good Bill! I'll be watching!

I believe the first issue Revell '62 Chevy Impala has the dog dishes you need. That one could be built with the "poverty caps" or the regular wheelcovers. I like the work you're doing on the hardtop...........despite the tops being virtually identical from '56-'62, there were some subtle changes in the rear backlite and quarter windows. '56-'60 hardtops can interchange with each other, but not with '61-'62. Not always noticeable in 1/25, but us 'Vette watchers can spot the difference! ;)

Hey Bill!!!

Thanks for the tip on the dog dish caps.... I really did not want to use the 57's.... and you are correct...the hardtops are different but this one is so close I think it will slip by..... just a bit of surgery as indicated.... I judge the real deal in the NCRS so I can definitely go "overboard" if I have to do so..... :o)

Regards

Bill

Nice work so far Bill! B)

Thanks for doing this with the hardtop, this will give some the push they need to build their own '62, until Revell steps up with the hard lid :lol:

BTW, if you need the dog dish caps from the Revell '62 Impala, just drop me a PM & they'll be in the mail :)

UPDATE!!!!

I am SO SORRY.... I really kicked the pig on this one.... the correct kit for the 62 hard top is from the AMT 62 Corvette and NOT the 57!!!!!!

Space Cadet here...... see the photo of the box for the part in question......

62Box-th.jpg

Looks good Bill! Which AMT '57 Corvette has the top with it? I've bought a few of the street machine versions and they don't come with a top. But, I only use them for parts anyway. I look forward to watching you build this kit.

My sincere apologies Roger.... it was the AMT 62 Corvette kit and NOT the 57.......my most recent post shows the 62 box.....

again my apologies for "kicking the pig" on this one!!!!

Regards

Bill

UPDATE!!!!

I am SO SORRY.... I really kicked the pig on this one.... the correct kit for the 62 hard top is from the AMT 62 Corvette and NOT the 57!!!!!!

Space Cadet here...... see the photo of the box for the part in question......

62Box-th.jpg

Seems like the 59 Revell Vette hardtop would be a better fit?

I have not tried the Revell 59.... maybe switch to that one if it is better..... so far the only issues I have seen with the AMT top are the overall length (a bit too long) and the quarter panel side curtains are too narrow. They need to rebuilt anyway because they are also too thick.....