Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius / Model King Marshall Teague 1952 Hudson kit

I made my own ...

2nd_Place__58_Edsel_Dan_Baker_op_640x479.jpg

... with a tiny rubber ponytail band.

This was the first experiment ... running out of time for a club contest, I didn't glue or tie-off the bumper ends to make it more like a single bungee cord. But this stuff will do that perfectly and it's far more in-scale than an injection-molded styrene part would be.

Craft stores and drug stores are our detailing friends.

B)

Only thing is, The 58 EDSEL Hood opens Backwards, like the 57-59 Fords!!

If they made it open normally for racing, it would more likely be Lift off & need tie-downs, or Hood

pins at the back as well as at the front!

Since those race cars Were made from Show-room stock Cars instead

of the Custom made "Stock cars of today!!

Thread & bent wire hooks would be a good start for Scale bunge's too

They do make elastic thread, but that would give out and stretch out of shape over time.

Edited by Edsel-Dan

• 2 weeks later...
:wub: oh man....what are you (Moebius) doing with us modellers? any kit you're sharing and selling (of course) is a must have. How can i get my shelf empty, if "every month" another kit from you coming up? I was happy to have more space in my shelf, but now i know, that these spaces will be filled with your new kits. Oh man...i like it.

• 3 weeks later...

My Grandson saw the picture when I opened the thread, & now I have to get a kit I really had no plans for, the first thing he said was " Oh Boy! a "Doc" model!" (from the Pixar film "Cars") :D

Does it get any better than having your grandson by your side, I just hope he like's your hobby .

what's the diff between stock hudson and tim flock version...

Abou the same as the differences were in the real cars back in Nascar's early days. NASCAR--National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing pretty much said it all back 60 years ago. Stock meant stock, only a few changes were allowed, such as removing a few accessories inside the car, Until Marshall Teague arranged for Firestone racing tires for his use in Nascar (I believe at Charlotte in 1951?) on his '51 Plymouth 6-cylinder business coupe, street tires were about all that was avaiable. Of course, most of the trim items on those early racers had to be left on the car, interiors were to be kept stock, as equipped from the factory--including back seats. (by 1957, the removal of back seats, even the passenger side folding front seat back was allowed. At best, a rudimentary roll bar became pretty standard.

No mechanical parts beyond what was readily available to the car-buying public were allowed in those early days--Twin H-Power dual carbs, the 7X aluminum high compression cylinder head, high compression pistons, high lift camshafts appeared very quickly in dealer parts catalogs at Hudson dealerships all over--some became available on production cars by at least 1953, but those parts had to be factory stock, something that anyone could buy as Hudson parts, at Hudson dealerships. The first trim items to be allowably discarded were hubcaps and wheel covers--both to facilitate tire changes in the pits (no impact air wrenches back then, just 4-way X-wrenches) and in the case of wheel covers, those tended to fly off even on street driven cars, being held in place by little more than spring clips which pressed against the inner circumference of a steel wheel. Doors on those early Grand National cars were generally held shut with simple men's leather belts (the same sort of belts that men used -- and still do use---to keep their trousers up; simply wrapped around the B-post and the rear upper framing of the side windows in the doors.

This all sounds rather "bush league" today, but in comparing any type of racing car from 60 years ago to today, they all were.

But, yes, those early Nascar Grand National cars were very much the stock item--but then there weren't any superspeedways to speak of--the vast majority of Nascar racing was done on dirt, or in the case of Daytona, a track laid out half on the sand of the beach, the other half on US Highway A1A. Times were different for sure back then.

Art

Abou the same as the differences were in the real cars back in Nascar's early days. NASCAR--National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing pretty much said it all back 60 years ago. Stock meant stock, only a few changes were allowed, such as removing a few accessories inside the car, Until Marshall Teague arranged for Firestone racing tires for his use in Nascar (I believe at Charlotte in 1951?) on his '51 Plymouth 6-cylinder business coupe, street tires were about all that was avaiable. Of course, most of the trim items on those early racers had to be left on the car, interiors were to be kept stock, as equipped from the factory--including back seats. (by 1957, the removal of back seats, even the passenger side folding front seat back was allowed. At best, a rudimentary roll bar became pretty standard.

No mechanical parts beyond what was readily available to the car-buying public were allowed in those early days--Twin H-Power dual carbs, the 7X aluminum high compression cylinder head, high compression pistons, high lift camshafts appeared very quickly in dealer parts catalogs at Hudson dealerships all over--some became available on production cars by at least 1953, but those parts had to be factory stock, something that anyone could buy as Hudson parts, at Hudson dealerships. The first trim items to be allowably discarded were hubcaps and wheel covers--both to facilitate tire changes in the pits (no impact air wrenches back then, just 4-way X-wrenches) and in the case of wheel covers, those tended to fly off even on street driven cars, being held in place by little more than spring clips which pressed against the inner circumference of a steel wheel. Doors on those early Grand National cars were generally held shut with simple men's leather belts (the same sort of belts that men used -- and still do use---to keep their trousers up; simply wrapped around the B-post and the rear upper framing of the side windows in the doors.

This all sounds rather "bush league" today, but in comparing any type of racing car from 60 years ago to today, they all were.

But, yes, those early Nascar Grand National cars were very much the stock item--but then there weren't any superspeedways to speak of--the vast majority of Nascar racing was done on dirt, or in the case of Daytona, a track laid out half on the sand of the beach, the other half on US Highway A1A. Times were different for sure back then.

Art

All very informative... but I think he was asking about the differences between the stock and Tim Flock kits.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here it is, and it looks GREAT!!! I'm really amazed by the quality of these parts, instructions, etc! I'm going to make mine as the Late-Season Version.

Here are pictures about what's in the box, in case someone hasn't seen pictures about those parts already.http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a463/VintageDragRace/52%20Marshall%20Teague%20Fabulous%20Hudson%20Hornet/

Thanks Moebius Models of ANOTHER very beautiful Model Kit!!!