Model Cars Magazine Forum

An Alternative Process for applying an Alclad II Chrome Finish

Steve_L

Over time, I’ve spent money with ChromeTech and Little Motor Kar Company for chrome plating services, but there are often times when I want to use Alclad II to apply a chrome finish on some model car parts myself. In the past, because of a serious case of OCD, I have often been unhappy with the gloss or shine of my completed Alclad II chrome projects.

Through trial and error and experimentation, I am now using an alternative process for applying an Alclad II chrome finish. I have long used automotive paint products for my model car projects and that is where I looked to try to improve my Alclad II results. I found that applying a three part base of Duplicolor automotive paints would give me the high gloss chrome finish I am looking for. I am sharing it with Y’All so you can also get better results with Alclad II chrome.

I begin by ensuring that the items to be chromed are clean and ready for paint. The first step is to apply one medium coat of Duplicolor sandable black primer. After observing the dry time specified on the primer can, I apply one heavy wet coat of Duplicolor Acrylic Enamel Gloss Black, making sure that the paint is not so heavy as to cause a “paint run.” After allowing the gloss black to dry in accordance with the instructions on the can, I apply one heavy wet coat of Duplicolor Acrylic Enamel Gloss clear, also making sure that it, too, is not too heavy. Once the gloss has dried in line with the instructions on the can, I have created a very glossy base for the Alclad II chrome finish. I most often let the parts dry at least for a day or two before I apply the Alclad II chrome. I use a Paasche VL double action air brush with #3 tips and needle at 12 PSI. I apply a light coat or coats of Alclad II Chrome, in accordance with commonly accepted practices, making sure that I don’t apply too much of the Alclad II product. The enclosed pictures show pictures of the three Duplicolor products I use as well as vintage mag wheels that received an Alclad II Chrome finish.

Try this and I think you’ll like it!

(Note: Automotive paint products like Duplicolor are often more expensive than other paints I use. I frequently shop prices at the local automotive parts stores and most often buy at the places that provide the military discount I am eligible for. A few local automotive parts stores will sometimes run sales on the Duplicolor paints. I have not yet attempted to buy what I need online, but that may be a good alternative to get discounted prices.

Another Note: Along the way, you will undoubtedly notice that the Duplicolor Acrylic Enamel clear provides a very high gloss shine. Yes, you CAN also use it on your model car paint jobs. Two mist coats and two wet coats of clear (applied in accordance with the can instructions), followed by careful polishing can provide a near-show quality finish for your model cars. Experiment with it and I think you’ll like it!)

Adap1698_030210-vi.jpg

Bda1600_030210-vi.jpg

Cda1692_030210-vi.jpg

IMG_7315-vi.jpg

IMG_7334-vi.jpg

Hi Steve,

I want to start working with Alclad II as well, so I appreciate the write-up. I hate how much flashing and casting lines are in the chrome from the box kits. One of the things I read about Alclad II is that it says to prime, then gloss black, then Alclad II (3-4 coats at 15 PSI), followed up with Alclad clear gloss. Is this any different from the technique and methods you've tried in the past? I've seen some good results with Alclad II, but before I run out and spend $40.00 on all of the Alclad II materials, I wanted to make sure I did my due diligence. Thanks!

Tim

I have also tried to get a "chrome" look with Alclad. What I found for myself is that when I used the Alclad II gloss black base, then the Alclad Chrome followed by Alclad II Aqua Gloss Clear I got the best results. Expensive, yes it is, but that seems the only way it has worked for myself. I think I'll try this method thou just to see how that works. Thank you for the info.

Ive had good results by just using testors gloss black acrylic as a base coat followed by a light coat of alclad aqua gloss clear when dry just buff with a micro fiber cloth then the alclad chrome and one more coat of the aqua gloss clear alot of work but if done right it looks amazing alclad is very tough to work with but the end results is sweet willys was done in candy orange and the truck bed was done with the chrome

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting similar results using. Duplicolor Primer + Valspar Gloss Black + Valspar Chrome Silver. (The one with the Chrome Cap).

I've been doing all of the three right out of the Rattle Cans! So clean up is zero! This is nearly as good and in some cases better than Alclad II, the only drawback to this system is that it is Enamel so it takes longer to cure out. I have tried curing in the food dehydrator and curing on its own and there seems to be no difference in shine. Like Alcad the Black Base has to be really glossy to get the Chrome Silver to Gloss like Chrome.

I haven't tried any other silver or black after the Valspar, I actually figured this combo out by accident painting some Silver and Gold colored PVC Banner poles for a church Kids Christmas Pagent, the Gold came out really shiny too and the Silver like Chrome. I used the Valspar because there is a Lowes about a mile and a half from the house and that's what they carry for cheap paint. I wasn't really even trying for gleaming Gold and Silver, just wanted a good base to lay down the metallics. Once it cures out it stands up fairly good to handling with very little rub off or dulling from rub off.