Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Official 2014 "All the Rest" Community Build-Extended to April 31st

mustang1989

Chris that is looking killer.

Continue with the "layers" of color.

Everywhere there's a chip, or the edge of piece use the final red color darkened a bit. It makes it look like wear burnished paint.

Here's an example. Look at the edges of the turret. In this case I first base coated in a dark tan enamel. I used an acrylic top coat which I scrubbed off leaving the edge of the turret a darker color. Then I painted small chips, and used some darker brown oil paint to accent the edge. It now looks like what happens when the crew crawls up and over damaging and burnishing the paint while leaving dirt and grime.

DSCF4717_zps49ce8b0a.jpg

See the fender damage?

DSCF4715_zps1fe210fb.jpg

That's just dark brown oil paint drybrushed over the hand painted chips.

The trick is using small small amounts of oil paint and spreading them around realistically. You have a great base of chipped paint it just needs that extra bit to totally come alive.

My two cents anyway.

G

Joe... thank you for the kind words rob away....lol I actually watched a you tube video from Dr. Cranky to see how to do the salt technique. All though i now need to buy some sea and rock salt because i jist used regukar table salt and Dr Cranky uses a mixture of a few.

Wayne... thank you for the information and words of encouragement. I am definitely gonna layer the paint now and just hope my first try at this extreme westhering turns out ok. i know I will be doing some dry brushing techniques and i also have some tamiya weathering pastels (i think thats what it was called) i will be trying out.

It's the old Tamiya "African" Tiger I. I bought it for next to nothing so I splurged on Fruill tracks, an Eduard full PE set and began scratchbuilding various items as well as AM decals. I intend to model Tiger # 131 of sPzAbt 504 that was captured in Tunisia in April 1943. #131 is still around has been restored to running condition.

http://www.tiger-tank.com/

This I intend as a long term build due to all the aftermarket details.

I have two more Tamiya Shermans enroute courtesy of fleabay that I intend on building using old Verlinden resin conversion kits. The Verlinden set will converty the tanks to the period correct M4A2 used by the USMC in the Pacific.

Love those jarhead tanks!

G

Edited by Agent G

Wayne.... I am looking forward to the next killer tank that you are gonna do.

Fellas... I did a little more "Salting" and got some color on to my little cart. I will say I am happy with how the salting turned out but now I have work to weather and make it look good.

Here I added some table and sea salt to the mix before I added my color:

V-1FlyingBomb069-1_zps79e89acb.jpg

V-1FlyingBomb072-1_zps9b5ba618.jpg

I painted this with some tamiya yellow right out of the spray can. I was too lazy to mix paint up and spray from my airbrush...lol, Not sure why but I wanted to make the cart yellow for some reason and I know its probably not the correct color but thought it would look good rusted up:

V-1FlyingBomb078-1_zps0b57fbcb.jpg

Here is what it looks like after chipping and knocking the salt off:

V-1FlyingBomb080-1_zps9a7f3977.jpg

V-1FlyingBomb081-1_zpsf3ed7c93.jpg

V-1FlyingBomb083-1_zpsc30408f7.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Ok fellas, I've got what I consider a major update. I've got the Tyson Chicken Legs (aka landing gear) installed on this thing. You know most times landing gear aint that big a deal to me and at first glance a Stuka, having no visible struts or oleos,let alone brake lines and all, wouldn't be that bad. It turned out to be harder than it looked. The wheel spats had a nasty seam line running down the middle and was CLEARLY visible from the front. It took alot of sanding and elbow grease to clean those things up to say the least. The tire and wheel assys weren't bad (although I forgot to prime them before I used acrylic MM paints and masked off) even though I had to paint em twice. But like I've heard and I like to say, "That's modeling folks!". I've moved on to the bombs , which have more seam lines than 10 pairs of blue jeans. The centerline bomb is 7 parts so there's plenty of opportunity for gaps and seam lines. After the wheel spats, it's all good. Here's the current progress,

I've still got to install the small propeller/ siren on the wheel spat you see in the first pic here:

Stukaonwheels002_zps925206f6.jpg

Stukaonwheels001_zps1ed0d0aa.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the next installment of my USMC armor in the PTO saga. This will be an M4A2 used on Saipan. The TC called her "King Kong".

DSCF5149_zps2717c438.jpg

DSCF5150_zps59bf7d8c.jpg

I scratchbuilt the wading trunks.

DSCF5152_zps96314090.jpg

DSCF5153_zpsc3889a8a.jpg

The bogies are Tamiya with DML wheels and details added in plastic hex rod.

DSCF5154_zpsf5cae334.jpg

This is an old Verlinden resin conversion for the Tamiya M4 series. I spiced it up with the correct final drive cover, wheels. commanders hatch and small details from DML. Everything else will be scratchbuilt.

G

Here's a little update on "King Kong". There are some period photos of this tank on Saipan. I was able to find a few of them and used the images to replicate the added on armor plate and wood planks.

It's hard to tell but it looks like the crew took sheetmetal and welded it to angle iron on the front slope.

DSCF5190_zpsc7b01298.jpg

DSCF5193_zps36459945.jpg

I used some .030 sheet to replicate the five planks bolted to the sponson sides.

DSCF5191_zpsedd1eca9.jpg

I attached the wading trunk lower piece as well.

DSCF5192_zpscd2a94c2.jpg

More to come!

G

Here's a bit more.

The Marines liked to convert old fuel tanks and what not into water tanks for the infantry on those hot hot islands. I scratched built the water can from a piece of old pen body and scraps of styrene.It will be mounted right there on the engine deck with some piping.

DSCF5194_zps318f2d83.jpg

DSCF5195_zps74cadb43.jpg

G

You'll get it Jason. Looking forward to it

Three steps in and I already screwed up. I had the nosecone/fuselage halves together, puttied and sanded the seam, then I noticed I had the front landing gear in backwards. Just like Chutes and Ladders.

I fixed that and got some other sub-assemblies started. The amount of moving parts is going to make this a challenge nightmare. Looking forwards to lots of chips and retouching.

The long long work week is behind me now and we are moving forward on King Kong. She's sitting in primer as we speak. Here are some pre primer shots of the build.

DSCF5196_zpse6e41925.jpg

DSCF5197_zps9f5e62fc.jpg

DSCF5198_zpsced910cf.jpg

DSCF5199_zpsfdf2d953.jpg

DSCF5202_zps70c37487.jpg

Additional research and some big help from a member on another site revealed the front panels on this were actually plywood, used to thwart magnetic mines. They will be painted accordingly.

G