Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Official 2014 "All the Rest" Community Build-Extended to April 31st

mustang1989

Some would say "talentless hack" but that's on another site.........LOL!

I'm going to attempt another build, this time I'm starting with the Revell (Monogram) reissue of the ancient M3 Lee. The kit looks pretty good for it's age so I think I'll try to snazz her up without any aftermarket, just good old scratch built details.

What say folks? This could take a while due to my new schedule..

G

Not the best kit for accurate representation of this bird but it's going to be a low budget build on this one. I'm actually building this for a friend of mine for Christmas and will do my best to do this kit some justice. I'll only be adding a set of PE seat belts and canopy/wheel masks for this one.

BoxArt_zps1150fc54.jpg

Guys, I'd appreciate some input.

I want to mount my Bat-Pod on a display base, and I had the idea to make a road surface with divider lines for the display base. I cut a piece of appropriately-colored sandpaper to represent asphalt. I masked off double lines, and tried misting on some yellow paint. As I was applying paint, I noticed the paint seemed to be disappearing. When I moved the masking tape, the paint had run under the tape.

I wonder if any of you folks have any better ideas. I've been googling for techniques with no luck.

I thought I might pick up some acrylic gel medium from the art store, maybe some textured stuff, and tint it with yellow acrylic pigment. Maybe it will be thick enough not to run under the tape?

I also just thought of maybe putting the acrylic gel into a very shallow mold to make narrow strips, letting it dry until solid-yet-malleable, and then gluing it on the sandpaper.

Am I on the right track?

Once I get this done, I want to detail with oil stains, dirt and garbage.

Not the best kit for accurate representation of this bird but it's going to be a low budget build on this one. I'm actually building this for a friend of mine for Christmas and will do my best to do this kit some justice. I'll only be adding a set of PE seat belts and canopy/wheel masks for this one.

BoxArt_zps1150fc54.jpg

One of my favorite war birds. Would build some planes but they do take up a bit of display case space. I will be watching.

One of my favorite war birds. Would build some planes but they do take up a bit of display case space. I will be watching.

I'll do my best with this thing but I'll tell you this Ray. Slate some display space and get the recently released 1/32nd scale Tamiya Corsair. It's da friggin' bomb!

Check out the review: http://modelkitsreview.com/tamiyas-new-1-32-f4u-1-corsair/

Danny thats an excellent idea using sandpaper as a base for asphalt. Right at the moment I can't think of anything that I would use besides what you are doing. I'll toss this one around in my head for a bit..............

Edited by mustang1989

Folks..........there just aint a whole lot to work with in the interior/cockpit of this Corsair. It's got a floor/ seat assy, a bulkhead, a control stick and an instrument panel ( which is fairly well, although inaccurate, for an old Revell kit like this). Normally I would spend "boo-coo" money here but 1) I'm on a time line with this build, 2) I'm on a $40.00 budget (to include the price of the kit) and 3) I'm not going to drop a whole lot of money into a Revell Corsair. This kit was first released in 1963 and is a pretty straight forward build like alot of the Revell kits in its day, but suffers from an overwhelming number of inaccuracies. A fairly quick build is what I'm after so this fits right into what I wanted.

I shot the floor/ seat and the bulkhead with "rattle can " Olive Drab paint as a dark base coat. I'll be airbrushing a thin coat of Zinc Chromate Green on top of that to give the Chromate a slightly darker color and to pre-shade a little.

The starting pic:

Recentpics001_zps681bb23b.jpg

The floor/ seat assy after painting the Zinc Chromate on, detailing and weathering:

Recentpics004_zps9282da5d.jpg

The details here aren't correct but I got the colors for them from reference photos. It's somewhat "within the limits of accuracy" :rolleyes:

Recentpics002_zps7312077b.jpg

The seat belts that I ordered should be here today so I hope to liven the "action" up here a liltle bit.

As mentioned earlier , the IP is so-so appointed with detail so I took full advantage of it. The instructions call for a decal............what----ever!

I brought out the dials with white lead pencil and the edges of the gauges with a silver lead pencil. I'll be putting a drop of future in the gauges to give them the "glass sheen" look.

Instrumentpanel_zps532e1c3e.jpg

Danny, don't overthink it.

Mask the line use a sponge and some $.69 yellow craft acrylic to gently daub in the color. As each coat dries, make another pass over the line and you should have a distressed lane marker in no time.

G

Thanks, Wayne. My wife actually paints with acrylics, and she said I can use some of hers. I should have asked her in the first place, but I got caught up in overthinking things.

Man you've got that right Wayne! I've overcome ALOT of obstacles with the help of folks on the forums. This one here is one of the best I've seen for being helpful too. Every forum has a jack wagon or two in it but this one seems like its got fewer of those kinds of people.

Some more progress here. I got the seat belts a couple of days after I posted the painted cockpit flooring/ seat assy and installed them. Man it's just what that basic Revell interior (or should I say detailed interior compared to some I've seen out of Revell! lol) needed to "wake" it up.

Finishedseat_zpse245fa37.jpg

The pic is a little green due to the camera settings which I am STILL learning. Here's a partial shot of the cockpit completed before installing it into the fuselage.

Fuselagezip-up002_zps973cf265.jpg

In we go with the cockpit (this is usually my least favorite part of any aircraft build as all the cockpit detail is sealed up in the fuselage halves but here it aint no biggie-there's just not that much detail) into the fuselage..........

Fuselagezip-up003_zps154302ed.jpg

and now sealed up.............with alot of seam removal work to do now.

Fuselagezip-up001_zps96327ac2.jpg

Nice work on that cockpit, Joe. It's amazing how much impact some weathering can have.

Well, I think I'm done.

10669136_10203621914086485_6336138593487

1504300_10203621911086410_49363721831439

10697330_10203621916606548_4722667670338

1540498_10203621919326616_83767707066024

1622346_10203621922606698_24240176884602

10700334_10203621931126911_1143757435827

Wayne, thanks again for your advice on the yellow lines. I did as you suggested, and I think it worked well. It even gives a bit of a 3-D effect.

I was originally going to also follow your advice on using a 50/50 mix of black and German grey for the fabric parts of Batman's costume, but when I sprayed on a base coat of Tamiya flat black, I noticed it had a greyish cast and fabric-like texture. I tried painting the body-armor with Citadel chaos black, which dried to a matte finish that I thought made for a nice contrast to the dead-flat black base. It took a few sessions to finish painting the all the body armor panels, but I got it done. The bat-symbol was painted with Tamiya semi-gloss black (which, of course, can't be seen now that the figure has been attached to the bike), the utility belt was painted with Tamiya gold leaf and a wash of Citadel chestnut wash, the face was painted with Citadel elf flesh, the lips were highlighted with some Citadel chestnut wash, and the blank white eyes are Citadel skull white. The trailing edge of the cape was thinned out with my Dremel before painting.

The Tamiya flat black works great to replicate fabric, but it just can not be handled. It will absorb the slightest bit of skin oils, even if you just washed your hands, and turn into a semi-gloss finish. I bought an IMEX display case to keep people's grubby hands off, sanded off any mold lines from the base and polished it. I glued on a piece of dark grey sandpaper, and added double yellow lines as discussed previously. I drew a line with black CA glue to represent asphalt patch (the glue is still wet in these photos) and stuck on some crumpled pieces of BMF and frisket backing paper to make some litter. I ground some Tamiya Weathering Master oil stain pastel into the sandpaper in a few spots.

Once again, thanks everyone for the advice and comments during this build.

Danny:Thanks for your comments on the cockpit. Your Batman and cycle IS AWESOME!!!! The shading detail is right on and the paint work is just as good. I'll tell you it is a blast having builds like this in here to shake things up from the norm. It's very entertaining and interesting at the same time. Thank you for being a part of this build again Dan! We still have 4 1/2 months left until the deadline so if youre feeling froggy grab another kit and join in. Let me know which pic you would like to use for the intro post.

Brayden:Man you bet you can join! Let me know the manufacturer of the kit and I'll get you entered in on the build roster. Lookin' forward to your build.