Model Cars Magazine Forum

Your favourite Box art

I think there is a story behind this box art, somebody will probably post it.

http://theboxartden.com/Artists/Bob%20Paeth%20-%20Revell%2055%20Chevy/paeth.htm

IIRC, Mark Jones aka Scale-Master is related to one of the crew members mentioned on the door.

AMT and Revell had some very appealing box art in the late '60s, and this is another of my faves, the AMT SandKat:

AMTSandkat.jpg

Walter - I agree.

What's cooler than those jet interceptor pilots admiring the graceful lines of that XKE ?

( reminds me of that Hot Rod magazine cover from the same era of LeRoi "Tex" Smith's XR6 parked next to the F-104 Starfighter )

The companion box of the yellow Jag convertible w/ the racing boats in the background was also very cool.

I have managed to re-acquire a lot of these works of art from the 60's in the past few years...often the artwork on the box cover exceeded the execution of the contents inside.

Like all those Aurora 1/32nd kits...The Wolf Wagon, The Ramrod, etc.

My favorites have always been the Monogram hot rod kits of the early 60's..The Green Hornet, the Black Widow, the Yellow Jacket, the Blue Beetle, the Red Chariot.

Those and the early Revell "Speed & Show" kits...the Stone- Woods- Cooke Willys, the Mickey Thompson "Attempt 1" & "Challenger", the Tri-Five Chevies.

Edited by styromaniac

Check out the old Heller Porsches 917K, 908 and Mercedes Gulwing 300SL ones...

Heller box art always was outstanding, and not only on their car kits.

Earlier this year, Gallerie 64bis in Paris held an exhibition of original art through the whole history of the Heller kit company, from 1957 through to the present.

The exhibition brought together some 60 original works by artists such as Michel Bez, Francis Bergèse, and Daniel Bechennec.

Noted French kit collector and historian Jean-Christophe Carbonel wrote a book about the history of Heller:

188_001.jpg

Here is some box art:

P9120156.jpg

P9120158.jpg

P9090188.jpg

P9090190.jpg

Edited by Junkman