Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tape residue removal ?

I ran out of blue tape, so l used Tartan (cheap) masking tape for a vinyl top job. Now there's thick residue that's not washing off ! I'm afraid if l keep scrubbing l'll damage the perfect body color paint. Any ideas on how to remove the tape's glue residue ? Thanks in advance for any help.

Bart

The paint is Dupli-color Metal Specks blue. I'm the impatient type, so the tape wasn't on for more than 2 hours. Perhaps l burnished it down too much ? I always clearcoat between colors to seal against bleed off, but only recently learned this trick so l'm still used to masking down hard. I'll hopefully know better next time !

Bart

Bart, no reason to clearcoat between colors.

You're creating a problem by doing that in adition to losing body detail and definition.

Paint is made to stick to other paint, not clearcoat unless you scuff or sand.

Clearcoat is the final step.

Intercoat Clear is used if your plan to stop and wait more than 12 hrs before continuing with paint.

Laying your paint down smooth and wet along with using good tape, Tamiya, is all you need to do.

CadillacPat