Model Cars Magazine Forum

1988 Corvette

Scale-Master

I’m building a replica of my Mom’s first Corvette using an old AMR 1/43rd scale white metal kit. It has been on the to-do list for almost 20 years, but since the kit did not have to correct wheels to make her car, it sat. Until I figured out how I could make the right wheels.

I made the outer rims from brass tubing. I made the centers also from brass using the etching process I have been fine tuning.

DSC02346_zps788e62aa.jpg

I made decals for the center caps. Still some clean-up to do…

DSC02365_zpsa06de557.jpg

The kit’s tires were hard and brittle; I test fitted one to a rim from the kit and it promptly (and as expected), split in half. I repaired it and made a mold of the four kit tires and cast a new set in soft rubber-like resin. Until fully cure (about a week) they tend to get all sorts of dust and junk stuck to them. The dust will wipe off before I need to install them on the car.

DSC02366_zpsb23022c6.jpg

Thanks guys.

How do I do it Dean? I just try to figure out how to. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. This is actually my second attempt since I started on this car last week. Keep in mind this was the part that held up this model being built for almost two decades.

As far as the decals Skip, I don't know what to tell you. I just draw the art and output it. I guess knowing the parameters/capabilities of your printer(s) helps...

• 1 month later...

Thanks Dan!

The body was cleaned up, but not as well as I’d like since it had already been assembled (by someone else before I got the kit). The individual body parts were not prepped fully and the epoxy bond is stronger than the white metal’s integrity.

I used Testors Gloss White enamel as the base color. Now to start detailing the mostly black trim…

DSC02480_zpscf0f8459.jpg

DSC02479_zpsdf0b731c.jpg

The black window and beltline trim are done. Decals for the emblems and side marker lights are up next.

I made a decal for the front panel where a license plate “might” go, (barely visible). It is the word Corvette in relief so I tried for a shadowed effect.

I used a dark gray wash over the front parking lights. It seems to work OK since it is a white car and those lenses are an off white…

DSC02484_zpsb2eb47f0.jpg

The door handles have been blacked out and the decals applied as well. I made a replica license plate too.

The taillights had to be filed down to about 30-35% of the thickness they came in the kit. They looked like they were from a ’53 Corvette(?).

Glass is in, waiting for the paint to cure then it is time for final assembly…

DSC02495_zps5d964e66.jpg