Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Eco friendly Cement Truck

Just got this today. I can say the propane powered trucks do not look all that different from from the regular ones. One odd thing is the engine itself looks smaller than the normal ones we run. I also have a story and pics of a T6 haulin a giant potatoe for Idaho (in case there would be any intrest).

post-1374-0-59580300-1326770696_thumb.jp

Kenworth’s latest vocational product line for ready mix operators and construction businesses will be on display at the annual World of Concrete Show Jan. 23-27 at the Las Vegas Convention Center. Kenworth’s World of Concrete booth (C5413) will feature a four-truck lineup devoted to mixer trucks this year. Leading the way is the Kenworth W900S natural gas mixer, which is equipped with the Cummins Westport 8.9-liter ISL G engine, Allison 4500RDS 6-speed automatic transmission and McNeilus Bridgemaster mixer body. Rated at 320 hp and 1,000 lb-ft of torque, the ISL G uses a maintenance-free, three-way catalyst and is 2010 EPA and CARB compliant without the use of selective catalytic reduction (SCR) technology or a diesel particulate filter (DPF).

Mike

There's a World of Concrete show? What will they think of next? Interesting W900S. Running it on natural gas is an interesting idea. I think many of the busses here in Syracuse are natural gas. One of the issues that I see is where will the company fill up their gas tanks? Will they need to have a large natural gas tank on site?

Yea, KW has been quite a few of the NG ones here in Chillicothe. Looks like the new hybrid for trucks. Not sure where they can fill them up at, but there has to be a growing demand. It has to be easier than plugging it in for a week to charge the batteries if it were an electric model. lol

Mike

Well I am currentlly in school for work....Guess what I am going to school for!!!!!! Cummins ISL G It is an 8.9 litre midrange Cummins engine,It runs on either CNG(compressed natural gas) or LNG(liquified natural gas).....They have been out since 2007 and being used more and more,mostly in refuse trucks,mixers,transit busses and other industrial trucks.

Edited by dad vader

Yeah congrats on the test. Next time we have a CNG rig in the air I'll send some pics of the system if I can get any good shots. We have some large step vans and a few rack bodies along with Honda Civics and other assoerted vehicles. Lot of Ford Escapes also all on CNG.

• 1 month later...

They have been running LP / gas trucks that my brother drives for years in Toledo. They are small block chevy engines with a 4.13 gear. They lack power when it is cold if you use the LP . He states that you warm the truck up with gas then switch over. If it is below 20 you will not make it up the hill when truck is loaded with papers on LP . Yes it is rather flat around here so once you get up the hill you are good to go on LP.