Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gold'n Duece Engine Progress

Steve H.

Thanks to Marc Nellis for posting the pic below... It turned out to be the inspiration I needed for my project! He also pointed me in the right direction for some of the parts.

nailhead-vi.jpg

I used the engine from the 66 Rivi, very nice block to start with. The valve covers and plug covers are from the old AMT 32/40 double kit. The 6 pak of Strombergs are Reps and Minis. Its topped off with 2 sets of 49 Merc air cleaners (Thanks, Hollywood!) I scratchbuilt the ribbed valley cover, intake runners and firewall. I also had to mod the fan belts to clear the fenders. I just need to do a second blackwash on the valve and plug covers to finish it off. Yeah, I know, that middle air cleaner is crooked!

PC290020-vi.jpg

I bonded 2 mil mirror mylar to sheet styrene with a coating of future, rolling out the excess till it was flat, to create the chrome firewall.

I'm making tuck and roll running boards and roof insert. You can see the rough cut running board in the pic below. I'm still kinda split about installing the roof insert... It seems a little too thick and bulky.

Heres how she's lookin' at the moment...

PC290024-vi.jpg

Thanks for lookin'... Comments always welcome!

Very nice, Steve!! The mirrored firewall really shows off the Nailhead, which is great to see because there are so few of them used in models these days...

I think that white tuck and roll on the roof would help balance the color and style of the model, especially if you use white tuck and rool in the interior.

I saw this yesterday and forgot to comment. WOW! Looks amazing, I love everything about it :)

Looking great Steve. What is the source for the mylar that you used on the firewall. I have been trying to find something like that, to no avail. Where did you get it? How is it packaged?

Thanks,

REX

Looking great Steve. What is the source for the mylar that you used on the firewall. I have been trying to find something like that, to no avail. Where did you get it? How is it packaged?

Thanks,

REX

Rex, email me off board and I'll hook you up with some... I have WAY more than enough to spare!

Steve, ModelCarGuy2003@yahoo.com