Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's hear/see your Craft Store findings for our models!

lots of good ideas here!

Not the craft store but I was looking around at ACE hardware on Sunday and found some really thin nylon washers I plan on using as beadlocks on my 77 Power Wagon. Also using paperclips as my u-bolts.

And while i was at ACE i found some bolt head covers that will work as baby moon hubcaps.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a good post. Some of the items I have been using already. I found a pack of small dice recently @ Hobby Lobby in the doll house section. Noticed some 'coke' cans there recently. I use the jewelery pins with a formed circular ends with the crimp tubes and styrene tubing for 4 link systems. I bought some quilting quarter fabric recently to make upholstery. From an automotive supply group I bought some vinyl masking tape and used it for seat belt material. It is very flexible. I also use 4mm,6mm, & 9mm rings for gauge bezels. light rims etc. I made a couple of dome lights using them, filled it with clear nail polish after painting it blue. I've also obtained samples of wood veneer (attached to a flexible backing) for wood grain use. Keep looking, there's all kinds of goodies out there.

• 4 weeks later...

I might loose man points here but,,, I worked in a Rubber stamp store for awhile. (it was a friends and they needed somebody to run the cash register) Embossing powder is typically on top of pigmant or dye based Ink and then its heated to turn that embossed look. I would imagine any product that would allow the stuff to stick to it would work be it glue or paint. Just let it dry real good before doing anything with it. There really are quite a few different brands and colors to be found. If your local craft store does not have the color you like, I would check any rubber stamp store or scrapbooking store.

Edited by Trucker_tim

Lordy, I love this thread . . . because it always reminds me of the neat stuff we find in the crafting isles, including bead and jewelry findings . . . .

If you go here:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57601&pid=686117&st=140&#entry686117

You can see all the stuff I'm using from the craft store . . . best, DC

That was my exact thought, too.

Nick could you please post a pic of the container? Is this it?:

il_fullxfull.194737952.jpg

One other craft store item which comes in handy are googly eyes, especially the variety packs which contain multiple sizes. The clear shells can be used as headlight lenses on smaller scale (1/32 for example) builds, and the shells can be used as masks for painting. The pupils can be used for just about anything where you need a flat, near-perfect circle or disc.

Here is what the embossing powder looks like once applied. On this particular project, I was trying to match an interior on a 1:1 vehicle.

The craft store where I bought my embossing powder had only a few colors. So, what is a determined modeler to do - but buy the white and make it work :D .

picsay-1335649840.jpg

The seats had already been airbrushed with Tamiya flat blue. I applied Elmers glue with a microbrush, and allowed it to set for just a minute. I then sprinkled the embossing powder over the surface making sure to cover it from all angles. I then set it aside to dry. Once dry, lightly brush away any loose powder. Any extra was returned to the container. The next day, the seat was airbrushed with more of the Tamily flat blue. The airbrush nicely applies the paint without damaging the surface. I guess rattle can paint would work as well. Hope this helps to show the results. You could go crazy if you want, shadowing and highlighting with various shades of the base color.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Since I moved, there is a Michaels 1/2 mile away and like Hobby Lobby they are great for printable 40% coupons and usually 20-25% tota; purchase coupons. They have a few types of embossing powder or flocking, the martha st#@rt ###### has glitter in it, lays awesome but...the other day in the "scrapbooking are" by th inks etc.. I found the good stuff, in a 12 pack variety "RECOLLECTIONS SIGNATURE ESPECIAL" there are 2 colors im not fond of but maybe ill make my niece a pink and neon green model1 day. My on bench amt freightliner post has a pic of the kit bottles, that was 6 bucks. They also have singles the sizr of a testors spray can for 4 bucks each, at least had 30 colors there. Went in today for another "Crankified" adventure, paint for fast times z28,and 40%off all craft storage, found a few neat things and lil multi drawer wood cabinet (2'x2' cube? or so with a fold down bottom to use as a garage for those that are waiting on the mechanic or painter to get the heck off mcm forum! lol. "I can fix this..my dads a tv repairman,he's got an ultimate set of tools" 10$ for lil desk top storage, 3 bucks for paint etcc.IMG_20120516_034902.jpgIMG_20120515_084156.jpg ,,ty

• 2 months later...

While perusing the clearance aisle at our local 'Great Wal of Mart' the other day, I found these sequins among the craft ribbon:

DSCN5699-vi.jpg

After a little snipping of thread and maybe 20 minutes of 'down time' during the TV news, I stripped the bottom roll(1/2" x 12 feet) clean and yielded a lifetime supply of CDs for car interiors. Snipping them in half makes for a convincing 'in-dash' player, like I did in my Miata in the 1990s:

DSCN3059-vi.jpg

I needed the right shade of red for carpeting for a vintage Mercedes. At Hobby Lobby yesterday, I found a large Christmas bow with a faux velvet finish and thin plastic backing. Perfect. (Christmas supplies seem to be a permanent department at Hobby Lobby.)

• 4 months later...

Craft stores are a scary place for me. I find it best to leave check book, credit and debit cards home and only take limited amount of cash, I can find a use for almost anything.

But here's a tip i'd like to share. Some of the best gagetry that i have found is in Second hand stores. Old VCR's, Printers, Transistor radios, Tape decks, Old Computors, Watches (wind ups) Kids toys (Tires and rims) Maybe even a scraped half built model..

I'll buy a couple of these for 2-5 bucks, take them apart piece by piece.

Odd pieces of thin metal, tiny screws, metal rods, belts, wireing, lights, odd plastic parts. Just let your imagination go, with a little mod work, who knows what you can come up with.

• 3 weeks later...

Tiny jewelry chain for tailgate chains. Sorry for the bad focus in the photo.

6198207161_d1be9f4ef5.jpg

Sam

Sam, I wanted to ask what your method was in doing the wood and metal rails in the bed of this pickup if you would'nt mind telling. I am in the process of finishing a 1965 Chevy pickup with this type of bed as my first. Beatiful build by the way!!

Dante, thanks for your compliment on the 37. This is one of my favorite models. Nothing exotic or special on the bed. I brush painted the floor with Testors enamel (I think the shade is just called "wood"), from the little glass bottles, then used a Testors silver marker for the metal rails. The marker tip fits nicely in the rails and makes a good straight line of silver. Pretty easy.

Sam

In the bead aisle, these 'bead cones' spoke to me:

DSCN3122_edited-vi.jpg

I recall you mentioning the bead cones at Michael's had a seam, so I looked these cones I saw at Jo-Anns over thoroughly and saw no seam at all. They were a bit heavier/more solid than the cones at Michael's and had a nice, rolled lip, too. I think they were priced at $3.99 for this package: