Model Cars Magazine Forum

I was perusing the car lot today as mine was getting serviced and the dealer had one of these on the lot:

7F1B732F-1F28-4701-86DF-960A5A43BE4D-586

I would love to see a model of this, the Hyundai Genesis Coupe. There has not been a single Hyundai model (excluding a few diecasts). Hyundai has been morphing from a basic-drive type of maker to something a little more exciting. The Genesis coupe (this one) has an optional 348 hp V6 and is rear wheel drive. I would like to take it for a test drive!

BB830D39-44E6-4917-8189-FF45ECA0BD4F-586

I think it is also a very cool looking car - black with a red leather interior.

D4321635-97CF-494D-BE41-F230212C9BAF-586

Brembo Brakes, too!

601912D3-E935-4A8E-9034-C9BA2D35AA4E-586

We got the Subaru BRZ and the Scion/Toyota 86 - now how about branching out to the Korean car market?

I would to get some engine and interior shots but it was locked up, maybe later...

Oh, and the window sticker? $31,000.

Edited by Erik Smith

I thought you of all people would've owned these kits, Erik! :D

attachicon.gifhy.JPG

attachicon.gifhy2.JPG

I think I actually sent one of those academy kits to Eelco Egelmeer (Diymirage)??? Maybe somebody else... a year or two ago - so, ya, there is some respect ;) and age related memory loss, I guess.

I see the similarity with the Toyota/Subaru - I like the Hyundai a little more, looks wise, for some reason.

That is a sharp little car! Hyudai has came a long way in recent years especially in their quality and design department. My daughter recently bought an '11 Sonata in black and it's a sharp little car also. She traded in her junk Lexus GS300 for it when her extended warranty ran out. I think Hyudai borrows designs from different manufacturers. The 2013 Sant Fe's on the front row in the photo shares a very striking resemblance to the '13 Ford Escape.

I'd really have no use for a sports car, but it is a sharp looking car. I was one of those people that always said I'd never buy a foriegn make car, BUT in 2006, when Hyundai did a 180 on everyone, I was so impressed with the new Sonata, I had to check it out. Ended up buying a 2007 seven months later. Right now there are 4 different Hyundai's in my family...Elantra(sisters husband), Sante Fe(sister), Tucson 4x4(my wifes), and my Sonata. No major problems with any of them. I wouldn't mind seeing a model of the Genesis Coupe or the new Genesis R-spec Sedan. Just saw a commercial for it the other day on TV. Yup, Hyundai "sported" the sedan.

• 2 weeks later...

I work at a body shop for a company that owns about 14 dealerships. On our property we have a new Hyundai showroom, Nissan showroom and a GMC/ Buick dealer. We also sell everything from Kia to Maybach. I've never heard one complaint from a Sonata or Genesis owner and very very minimal complaints from owners of other Hyundai models. On the flip side Benz owners seem to have problems with nearly every car they buy. I actually own a 2000 Camry with 227,000 miles and a 2007 Santa Fe with 75,000 and have never had a problem with either one. The new Genesis coupe V6 is a blast to drive. It out performs the Mustang, Challenger, G37 and Camaro (all V6 models) on the strip and the track. The sedan is just beautiful. But if you want performance in the sedan, check out the R Spec 5.0 429 horse model. Yes, a 5 liter 400 plus horse Hyundai. And if you've got about an extra 65 Grand you can pick up a new Equuis. Every option you can get on cars twice its price. Reclining seats, fridge in the console, the works. I wasn't even a Hyundai fan until a few years ago. Get behind the wheel of one and ignore the emblem on the hood and you will be incredibly surprised.

The Gen coupes are quite hot little coupes! My son has a '10 gen coupe (2.0 turbo) that has been fully customized, with all the tuning tricks as well....the modest 210 HP factory rating has been bumped up slightly (just shy of 350 HP). These cars lend themselves well to the "tuner" treatment....10 years ago I would have said" Korean car; are you kidding me?" But today we own 3 of them.....an 09 Sonata, the 10 Gen coupe, and an 11 Sonata Limited. I will say that these cars have all been great, the 11 Sonata being built right here in Alabama! The Sonata has just about everything you could want in a car, very cofortable to travel in, and gets 38MPG on the highway road trips. I have been "eyeballing" the R-Spec Gen sedan for a while; but since the intro of the

HCD-14 concept; I think I will hold out, to see if the concept car moves toward production next year, before getting my own Big sedan...Anyway; just thought I would pipe in....If you like the gen coupe...Buy it; They are great cars............................Matt

I had an 02 Kia Sportage (basically the same parent company) and man that thing was a turd. It was 4 wheel drive and I didn't know it until it was already in a ditch but that didn't even work. But my biggest gripe was that is was only a 2.0 4 cyl and got a whopping 18 mpg on the highway! My 91 F150 2 wheel drive 4.9 got that!!

This is all pretty funny actually, I guess the advertisements do work on some people!
I worked as a GM for a "car rental co.", in 2009 the company bought allot of Hyundai's because of a great "deal" that we couldn't pass on. We had so many different issues with these cars it created real problems for us because of always having so many of the fleet in the garage or waiting for long periods of time to be repaired. We got them new, and we were to turn them back to Hyundai at 30,000 miles. We had to break the deal with the Hyundai Co. because we couldn't afford to have so many vehicles out of service waiting for parts, and repairs for extended periods of time. We would run out of cars to rent, yet there would be 40-60 cars and suv's sitting on the lot we couldn't use. We had every imaginable problem with them, from windshield wiper arm teeth stripping and the wipers being useless (last thing you want if you rent a car) to heater's not working, to windows stuck open, or closed. We also had allot of the Santa Fe's that the 4 wheel drive's wouldn't work to just being flat out busted internally!
I rid ourselves of a huge problem when we sent them all back to Hyundai! Never again!

A few years ago, I got a ride home in a fairly new Azera from a friend of mine.

Other than a little tire noise (he had put on rather aggressive performance-oriented tires), I was absolutely floored at how good a car Hyundai had become.

I still thought back to a girl I knew in college and a couple of rides I had with her in her still fairly-new Excel (about five or six years old), and man was that thing tired already.

I hope Craig and Mike's experiences are anomalies. I would be willing to try one if the time for a new car ever does come.

Charlie Larkin

I wonder how many owners of Hyundai's will still have their car when the 100,000 mile/10year warranty expires? The company knows that they will only last 2-3 years at best, then those owners will move on to different cars, but in the meantime the company makes a fortune off of gullible American buyers who believe the advertising. I have a 97 Ford pickup way over 100K that makes it 16 years old, still runs like a new truck, Also have a 98 Mustang Cobra that is 15 years old, it's like a new car, also have a 04' Mustang GT that is now 9 years old. Point is, I seriously doubt that you will ever see a hyundai vehicle still running like it is almost new when that odometer hits the 100K mark, if so I want to see what it looks like, lol!

I wonder how many owners of Hyundai's will still have their car when the 100,000 mile/10year warranty expires? The company knows that they will only last 2-3 years at best, then those owners will move on to different cars, but in the meantime the company makes a fortune off of gullible American buyers who believe the advertising. I have a 97 Ford pickup way over 100K that makes it 16 years old, still runs like a new truck, Also have a 98 Mustang Cobra that is 15 years old, it's like a new car, also have a 04' Mustang GT that is now 9 years old. Point is, I seriously doubt that you will ever see a hyundai vehicle still running like it is almost new when that odometer hits the 100K mark, if so I want to see what it looks like, lol!

Well, first, I am not sure what the advertisement thing is you keep mentioning. I watch little to no TV, so, I guess I haven't seen the irresistible brainwashing occurring somewhere. Second - Hyundai knows that the cars they make will only last 2-3 years? That sounds like a great business model - give out a 10 year warranty on a car you know will only last 2-3 years. Seems like their share of the market would be shrinking...

I get the picture. A couple people had bad experiences with Hyundais. You don't really need to post over and over the same rhetoric. If you look at the reliability ratings for cars, Hyundai generally ranks average or above average. They are not Toyotas or Hondas - nor do you pay the premium. JD Power ranks them as one of the most reliable compact cars. Anecdotal stories are, as I have said before, useless in determining reliability. Yes, you worked in rentals and had Hyundais. There is inherent bias in human beings to notice things they want to notice. It was not a scientific evaluation of reliability. That would require a large sample of many users and cars.

Really, the point of this topic, though, was the Hyundai Genesis and how I would buy a model kit of one. Not how reliable one person's car is...

• 3 weeks later...

I can't stand Mustang's...there ugly and most owner's think they are so much cooler than they really are. There now I stated my stupid opinion that didn't have a thing to do with the OP. Back to the topic at hand though, yes a scale kit of this would be really nice, I would swap the wheel's and slam it on the ground.

I have an '03 santa Fe with 148000 on it. Only had to replace the usual things. still drives fine. In 2009 I bought a Honda Accord Coupe V6 automatic. At 35000 miles the tranny blew, before that the 2 rear brake calipers froze up at around 18000 miles all of which were OUT OF WARRANY of 12 months 12000 miles