Model Cars Magazine Forum

KUBEL-BAJA DONE

kod38

This is a ww2 Hasegewa Kubelwagen slightly modified to represent a class 5 open desert racing vehicle.

I just finished building the rear trailing arms,battery and equipment shelf,some rear cage tie in.

I will probably do the coil over resevior shocks and mounts next.

I mocked it up so you get an idea of the look.

Follow the link if interested in more pictures.

Doug R

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/kod...amp;media=image

100_3293Medium.jpg

note from a (former) "the thing" owner:

the name of the VW was "the thing" not "thing". it is therefore more approriate to refer to it in terms of, for instance, "look at the the thing" rather than "look at the thing".

another in the many strange stories one learns when one owns a vehicle for 30 years!

another is that it was dubbed "the thing" by advertising types when the original name (and the name it was sold under in south america among other places) "safari", was trademarked for the "grand safari" wagon by whomever (oldsmobile?)

it was originally called a "trekker" in europe and throughout most of the world.

and a kubelwagen actually bears only a passing resemblance to the "the thing"/safari/trekker, in fact they are much more different than alike.

ho hum

nice model by the way. i have a plastic 1/32 the thing that i plan to build one day. no one i know has ever seen it before or since...i got it in the early days of ebay before all the jackels began circling!

Kubel-thing??

you have to work with kits that are available.LOL!

I wish they made a safri wagen-"thing" in 1/25 or 1/24.

Think I am going with piggy back reseviors on this build.

I just built one so far.

What do you think .The top will be hidden in the mount.

Doug

100_3302Medium.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I am doing the final assembly and details. Here is a couple of shots this morning.

I hope to be done tomorrow.

I have to make rear shock reseviors and an exhaust system,finish the seats and rear brakes....

Thanks for looking.

Doug R

100_3377Medium.jpg

100_3379Medium.jpg

Great job Doug! As a former air-cooled VW junkie your model certainly pressed a few buttons with me! Your fabricating skills are killer. The cage...shocks...various brackets. Awesome build. But what engine are you using? Is that the twin cam from the Revell Acura kit?

I just noticed something else on your build: Your axle & shifter boots. Are those wiring insulators from a harness connector on a car? Nissan uses little boots like that to insulate the terminals in a multi-plug connector.

I've often thought how much they look like scale CV boots.....Ponder.gif

John aka-Fastback

The engine is an acura/honda motor from a revell tuner kit. They actually use these in Class 10 off road race cars.

The CV boots are GM weather pack seals. Good eye.

Replicating CV's are hard,and I thought those worked good.

Here are 2 more VW's I built since you like the aircooled ones.LOL!

Doug R

RDClove1.jpg

100_2293_0001.jpg

Started life as a Hasagewa WW2 Kubelwagen,I modified the body to look more like a thing.

Scratch built the entire chassis,shocks,suspension,steering,exhaust,shifter,.....

Has a honda V-Tec with Porsche trans..

03 GM redfire metallic

Hope you like it.

Doug R

100_3414Medium.jpg

100_3406Medium.jpg

100_3398Medium.jpg

100_3386Medium.jpg

• 12 years later...