Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Holy Grail" Models?

Dear Randy, thank you for such a prompt reply. Heres what I can tell you and all you kit kolectors out there east of Cycolac and south of "Estar". The Cab over hauler we were disussing was and stiil a "Prototype" . You see a certain Truck modeler who wrote for another magazine told me that there was never such a model ever produced. Loook this was in Dallas several years ago, I was at a contest with Joe Cavorley, may he rest in peace, and even he faintly recalled seeing the kit. Mean while the certain know it all modeler who will remain un named, still the "Big-Boys know who he is. Any how, a couple of years back right before Bud Anderson left A M T he wrote me and asked me for my opinion on doing some construction kits. Well I wanted a Steam Shovel. Next thing I know theres this Curbside Tractor trailer combo at the drug store where I bought a lot of kits. That was 1965 Now around 1970, I heard rumors of a Peterbuilt 359 comming out. Never heard about a re-issue of the moving trailer, in fact until you showed a picture of the truck, it's been the only one I have seen since 65. I probably don't get to too many shows, politics being what they are and I build gasoline pumps primarily. I did a good deal of the pictures in the book Check The Oil by Scott Anderson. Never was credited properly in the bibliography, but thats o k cause he either couldn' t idenify the pumps properly most of the time or the were mislabeled. I moved on, Iv'e earned several trophies for my work, ill build more and continue to share what I do with any one who will listen. Hey it's been great mabye we'll see one another some day..... happy trails to you

I could hook you up with a 68 Fairlane formal roof kit. Scale 1:1

I have a 1:1 '68 Torino GT Formal that is complete but, for lack of a better term and in keeping with this forum, a "Glue Bomb", but has lots of potential. Got the 390 for it in the garage... I just wish I had a parts supply for this one like I do for the little ones...

It's confirmed.....i am a FORD guy! I have another '68 Galaxie and probably some others that i forgot about, but here is my Galaxie stash. I DO plan to build every one of them. I have to re-build some and other's are not built yet. I mentioned before, i am NOT collector and i don't care how much any of these sell for on eBay.....they will be cut, painted, shaved and glued together just like they were meant to be. *these are my "Grails"....just cars i like, not any one specific kit* I don't fondle any of them :lol:

What i did was grouped them all together, even the ones i have started and finished.

100_7386-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

Here are almost all my Fairlanes....

100_7404-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

100_7415-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

I think this is all my Mercury's

100_7419-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

probably all my Victoria's

100_7417-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

i am going to continue grouping my kits like this for the heck of it, so i might update again if anyone cares to see.

Edited by awbcrazy

TXRAT......cool kits! i love that' 53 delivery, but man it's a pain to build lol. i ended up breaking it before it would go together nicely. i had all those at one time, traded off for other things i wanted. i still have photos of them i think. the one i still have is the touch tone terror..that is a really cool kit! here is mine started...well about half done now

100_3260-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

The kit i own that i realy like are

galaxie 48 chevy aroesedan and delivery

60 chevy truck origional amt of course

57 ford fairlane with the styline fron ends

57 chevy with styline front ends

2 40 for sendans origional 60s build

33 chevy panels

32 chevy convert

smp 60 el camino

Probably missed like 20 but those are the ones off the top of my head

The kit i own that i realy like are

galaxie 48 chevy aroesedan and delivery <------have it too, i won't build it until i am ready for some customizing etc..

60 chevy truck origional amt of course <-------have two or three but all need re-built i love the LWB

57 ford fairlane with the styline fron ends <------have original and few newer ones, love that car!

57 chevy with styline front ends <----- have original body with glass and styline front, but that is all lol

2 40 for sendans origional 60s build <------have a couple

33 chevy panels <------- chevy panel? got pics, i would like to see!

32 chevy convert <------ dont remember if i saw this one either

smp 60 el camino <-------cool! don't have one yet

Probably missed like 20 but those are the ones off the top of my head

The title of this thread is misleading. The Holy Grail is the thing you seek just like King Arthur in Monty Python's Holy Grail. You guys are listing your favorite kits which is fine.

My favorite kits I own ( therefore not holy grails since I found them)

Britten 1/12 battle of the twins racebike

Profil 24 & Lemans kits of the 2 Bugatti T57 Lemans winners -'37 & '39

All of my Fishermodels 917 kits ( I have them all)

Wills Finecast 1/24 1907 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost

Wills Finecast 1/24 Bugatti T59

and a whole bunch of others!

Holy Grail ?

Dunno.

Andy

Yeah, I am Porsche guy first. Ferrari second, GTP 3rd. :P

The blue one is Hasegawa's Omron 962, but I have 3 or 4 different Tamiya 956s. You don't see too many 905s around.

I have some other cool stuff you'd like.

1 Toyota GT1

1 Toyota 84C

1 Toyota 88C

1 Jaguar LM 8

1 Jaguar LM 9

2 Sauber Merc C9

2 Mazda 787B

2 Nissan 89V

1 Nissan 90V

Too many Porsches to list 63 different ones 27 different Ferraris 5 Lambos.

I am getting pretty well stocked up on Ferraris too.

It took a long time to collect all these kits up and have every intent on building them. :blink:

Wow, thanks and yes, I do love all those! ;) You better build them all! :D

I like your Porsche first, Ferrari seco......and so on, I'm like that except.......I'm more a Ferrari guy, was born on the F40 and swear by it......ahhh ^_^ no ###### right? :o

:lol: your more, YEAH ###### LIZARDS! :blink: and I'm ###### LIZARDS! :rolleyes:

Steve Milberry....

I never got into mopars much, but those are cool kits! Cinder Bug is such a cool box art. I had the Petty car unbuilt, but ended up selling to buy something else (story of my life)

Andy Martin.....

Yep you are right, i guess i took it wrong too when i saw multiple kits etc....

so my holy grail would have to be..... SMP 1958 Pontiac , i guess that is one of my favorite cars, especially in kit form.

Some great graile's and collections guys! My graile that I've hunted and managed to acquire three of now (very difficult kit to find for as new as it is) over the last two years -

BMWM3KIT-1.jpg

Here's what's next on my "wish list"

bmw320ikit.jpg

Wow, thanks and yes, I do love all those! ;) You better build them all! :blink:

I like your Porsche first, Ferrari seco......and so on, I'm like that except.......I'm more a Ferrari guy, was born on the F40 and swear by it......ahhh ^_^ no ###### right? :blink:

:blink: your more, YEAH ###### LIZARDS! :o and I'm ###### LIZARDS! :D

Exactly right on the ###### Lizards!

Yeah, but they say it wasn't a very good car to drive, and really wasn't fixed to the F50 came out.

Everyone shoud drive a Porsche 997 Turbo :P Especailly in LA and other metro areas. They say it is so efficiant that what comes out the tailpipe in these polluted cities is actaully cleaner than the air going in. :blink: So see, it's really a green car, too.

Nevertheless, I have a growing fondness for the Ferraris, they do build some nice looking cars that are just amazing now days.

The last Ferrari I was in still had rope for interior door handles, thinly padded plastic seats and couldn't hear yourself think. It was pretty much ######.

I am quite partial, however, to the 550, well both actually Porsche's and Ferrari's 550. I know the 575 is supposed to be a bit better, and looks almost the same, but I still like the 550 better.

And some of Ferraris earlier cars are just so ###### sexy. Nothing in the world looks or sounds like a P330

O K everyone, here is my list of kits; mostly A M T stuff, but ....61 Buick Special wagon with it's little trailer. 61 or 62 Chevrolet Apachie Pick- up, sorry the re-issued 60 isn't worth building 61-63 Ford F-100 The oddly scaled Ford Leva car A M T's origional 63 Corvette Sting-ray convertible, yeah the one with the lights that you could rotate. The 61 Ford Ranchero with ALLLLLLLLLL the Styline parts put back, A M T's 62 Styline Thunderbird any of A M T's Craftsman kits including their 60 Pontiac 60 Chevrolet wagon Hey the 59 Mercury convertable can you say "gook-wagon" kids ? Any thing Jo-Han did from 63 on he really had his act together then. The early days of M P C yeah; their 64 corvette with working suspension, the Mako- Shark 2 the 32-3 Chevrolet Roadster and Sedan Delivery 66 Pontiac Bonniville. Lastly Revell PLEASE READ THIS : WHAT HAPPENED TO DARYL STARBIRD's FUTURESTA, hey get a copy of Car Craft magazine june 1963 right on the cover folks, uh huh there it is....NOTE TO MODEL KING

I searched many years to acquire two kits in my collection...

1. The super-rare Monogram 1/20 '56 Cadillac convertible in styrene (not the warp-prone '55 in acetate). Have one unbuilt and another mostly complete, unpainted restorable.

2. AMT '58 Ford annual. Have one built, completed in 1980. Plus a super-clean restorable built-up in the original box with instructions and restorable convertible (the latter in progress, off and on).

58one.JPG

:unsure: Ive always wanted the old AMT 28 Ford sedan from the mid 60's I finally found one at a toy show and paid 100.00 bucks for it! Wouldn't cha know it, since I gotten it, I've found 2 more for about 50 bucks each,naturally I bought them both, now I've got 3 of them rascals!All unbuilt in original boxes!Now my quest is on for a 65 Chrysler 300, by Jo han.I've posted it in the wanted section of the forum, but so far no ones been able to help.I've got Quite a few of peoples "wish list of cars,so if anyones got one I'd be MORE than HAPPY to make a deal of some kind(HINT,HINT) :unsure:

:unsure: Ive always wanted the old AMT 28 Ford sedan from the mid 60's I finally found one at a toy show and paid 100.00 bucks for it! Wouldn't cha know it, since I gotten it, I've found 2 more for about 50 bucks each,naturally I bought them both, now I've got 3 of them rascals!All unbuilt in original boxes!Now my quest is on for a 65 Chrysler 300, by Jo han.I've posted it in the wanted section of the forum, but so far no ones been able to help.I've got Quite a few of peoples "wish list of cars,so if anyones got one I'd be MORE than HAPPY to make a deal of some kind(HINT,HINT) :unsure:

they pop up on ebay everyone once in a while from reasonable money.

:unsure: Cal if your talkin bout the Chrysler 300(65) I've yet to see one go for LESS than 200.00 bucks!I bid on the last one I saw up to 235.00 bucks, But still got out bid.It finally sold for 285.00! I want to BUILD IT not make an investment.I coulda kicked my own a$$ for bidding 235.00 But I really want one! thats why I said I'll go a coupla kits for it! :unsure:

The title of this thread is misleading. The Holy Grail is the thing you seek just like King Arthur in Monty Python's Holy Grail. You guys are listing your favorite kits which is fine.

My favorite kits I own ( therefore not holy grails since I found them)

Britten 1/12 battle of the twins racebike

Profil 24 & Lemans kits of the 2 Bugatti T57 Lemans winners -'37 & '39

All of my Fishermodels 917 kits ( I have them all)

Wills Finecast 1/24 1907 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost

Wills Finecast 1/24 Bugatti T59

and a whole bunch of others!

Holy Grail ?

Dunno.

Andy

Everything Modelmartin produces, as I cannot afford them yet. I am working on it. :unsure:

awbcrazy pics of course give me an email at apacheflock@aol.com and i will send ya pics of the sedan and convert. I just dug out a box which i bought 3 weeks ago its for the 57 chevy with some custom parts in iy styline parts to. chopped glass top and for the origional monogram 57 chevy the choped to rear section. WOW but sure email me and we can talk.

Edited by sdrodder

My Holy Grails.... hmm, let's see.... I guess I got hooked by this collecting bug in the early 80's. Some of my favorites, that I do own, are:

The first issues of Monogram's '40 Ford pickup, '55 Chevy, '58 Thunderbird. Li'l Coffin, Uncertain T, Beer Wagon, Garbage Truck and Hurst Hairy Olds. Let's not forget the "Silver Flash" all chrome quarter midget.....

AMT: '25 T kits, '28 Ford tudor, '32 Vicky-Phaeton, '40 Ford coupe, '49 Mercury, '56 Ford, '58 Impala, '59 El Camino, '65-66 Impala.

MPC: '32-33 Chevy panel truck, "Wild Ones" - '28-29 Ford roadster pickup/woody, '57-60 Corvette, '65 Corvette w. parachute, '68-72 Corvettes - 1/20 scale also, '73-76 Caprice - a '75 will be built as a tricked out lowrider....

Revell: Lincoln Futura, Pontiac Club de Mer, Mysterion, Road Agent, Outlaw, Surfite, Mickey Thompson's Challenger 1, Stone/Woods/Cook Willys,

I could go on a bit more, but I'm getting too tired now, have been working all night, taxi driver.....

I have many jewels buried in the closet......

A stack of Tamiya 1/12 F1 kits, a Richard Petty Dart kit car, a Howmet Turbine LeMans racer, the HRM Cobra Daytona coupe, the AMT/Heller double kit of the Brabham and Matra cars, an Airfix 1/12 blower Bentley, and the Model King re-issues of some classic stock cars. But I had given up on this one......

16a8_1-vi.jpg

My wife and I just came back from a vacation to Stratford Canada. We were walking around downtown when I found a die-cast shop worth looking at. They had a small stack of plastic kits and right on top was the Chaparral with a $14.99 price tag on it. :lol:

It was a great trip!!

:lol: Cal if your talkin bout the Chrysler 300(65) I've yet to see one go for LESS than 200.00 bucks!I bid on the last one I saw up to 235.00 bucks, But still got out bid.It finally sold for 285.00! I want to BUILD IT not make an investment.I coulda kicked my own a$$ for bidding 235.00 But I really want one! thats why I said I'll go a coupla kits for it! :lol:

Hee Hee! I've got a very clean (unpainted and arrow straight) builtup of a '65 Chrysler 300 I got a few years ago off the 'bay for $50.00!! Believe it or not it was on a "Buy It Now" and was actually on for a couple of days with no takers.

I immediately snatched it up! :lol:

It's on one of my to do lists to be fully built someday.................but that was one of my Holy Grails as they're VERY hard to find and VERY pricey!

Actually, IMO the '66 is tougher yet to get (I've got one of those too), as getting a straight one is tougher still to find because of those goofy flat boxes. :lol:

Some of my other Holy Grails I now have.................

Johan 1970 Hemi 'Cuda (unpainted but engine started)

MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet Convertible

Two MPC 1971 Trans AM's (One completely mint, the other a built-up)

Pocher 1/8 scale Mercedes 540 K

1963 Volvo P1800 resin kit I just got the other day from Tapani Rauramo (look for a review soon!)

AMT 1968 Torino Pace Car completely mint (what I paid for that broke the bank! :lol:)

AMT 1968 Ford Galaxie Fastback

Johan 1970 AMX clean builtup

There are some others I'm leaving out, but just off the top of my head, those came to mind that I have stashed away.