Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Take-A-Turn Torino Project

Casey

OK, so the engine got here today............buuuuuuuut, I wasn't home so FedEx left a card for me to sign and they should drop it off tomorrow. That would mean I'm only waiting on the hood and mirrors from Billy once he is able to paint them. I'm about to do some foiling, can't wait to se that chrome against the blue paint !!!

• 2 weeks later...

BMF is finished, I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow. I PMed Billy a few days ago and should have the hood and mirrors next week. I have a couple questions for the group. First, the kit comes with a set of traction bars, should I use them or not? Second, I was looking at the decals and the white to blue strobe looks more like white to purple. I dont think they look very good holding them up to the body, certainly not up to the standards of all the work that has been done, should I still use them? Does anyone know if the decals in the reissued kit are better? I have the same Pro Modeler kit and the decals in my kit also look purple but I dont have the reissue to compair. Last, there is an option of headers or stock manifolds. If I go with the headers I have to cut the already instaled exhaust pipes, to me the headers seem like the way to go on this build though. What do you guys think?

If I could add my 2 cents to the dilemma. Lol

1. No traction bars. Think that was decided earlier. With the wheel and tire choice it will look silly

2 the stripes look better off the paper. The engine will look stupid if the stripes are not on the car imho.

3. I agree headers are the way to go. They will clear everything barely. The cut is not too bad to do. I can put up a couple pics of that and stripes on one of my gt's

4. The headers will need plug boot clearance, did I do them both? I did one side for sure. Manifolds will keep the underside clean and front clearance at a premium.

I look forward to seeing this come together

The stripe is a little more purple than the 1:1 but there is no other source. I'm sure it will look ok. I was wanting the yellow to red stripe on the blue. There is a pic of that combo I posted in here somewhere. But that won't work now with my engine either unless I change the valve covers which I can do as I have several sets here. Let me know which way you want to go

128ADD5C-29C9-4AC7-85C4-32CAEA9213A9_zps

Edited by freakshow12

001_zpshbamrhvm.jpg

002_zpswzgzor4k.jpg

All foiled except for the hood, which I'm waiting on. I'm going to see if I can make the louvers look a little better. Looking at reference pics there is supposed to be some body color showing between them but in scale its hard to trim between them. The back edge of them should have some flat black too, that might be enough to create the illusion of space between them. I'll start working on fitting the headers and wrapping up the rest of the kit now.

After looking at the decals in different light they aren't as purple as I though they were so I might try to put them on tomorrow.

^What they said. :wub:

I do think the rear part of the stripe looks too purple, but I can't recall if the sheet contains any better options. I think Jeff has the reissue, so maybe he could compare the original and reissued decal sheets if possible.

*edit*

Hmmm, I guess they just look more purple in person than what they did on the original sheet:

8c15c37c-db42-49d9-995f-d25f89aa1627.jpg

None of the other stripes on the sheet would even be close, so no help there.

The hood and mirrors have arrived so now I have the whole kit and can start final assembly.....after I add the final piece of BMF to the rear of the hood.

COOL!!!

Can't wait to see her all buttoned up... B)

Ron, I can send you the reissue stripes if you want, I compared them and there wasn't a significant color difference in any of them...

Jeff, don't bother sending the other stripes. I'll use the ones from the kit, after I looked at them under different kinds of light (incandescent, florescent, daylight) they aren't as bad as I first thought. Also when I was firs looking at them it was about 1:30AM and my judgment might have been off a little.

it was about 1:30AM and my judgment might have been off a little.

:lol:

We should start getting serious about discussing what to do with the completed model, since it's getting very close to completion. If you've participated in the build, let's hear your suggestions, please. :)

I would like to buy it. Donate money to a charity or a kids thing. Or see if the model museum wants it? We could all sign the instructions or box top or something. Gotta be one of the few builds that has travelled as far as this has and made it alive

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...