Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why are builders using the term kit bashing?

Of course there is . . .

You sometimes see someone refer to a completed model as a "kit."

An unassembled group of parts in a box with instructions may be referred to as either a 'kit' or a 'model kit,' but once completed, it is no longer a 'kit,' it is a 'model.'

That's taking it to extremes, IMO....

No different than electing to call all computers 'typewriters' just because you want to.

:lol:

You're absolutely right, though. A "kit" is only a kit until it's assembled, at which point it ceases to be a kit.

If I have the ingredients for a cake on hand, and I mix those ingredients together properly and bake the result, I'd ask you if you'd like to try a piece of my cake, not a piece of my ingredients. ;)

Actually, still a kit, but now it's an assembled model kit. :)

No, not actually still a kit. A kit is an unassembled collection of parts. Once it's assembled into its final form, it's not a kit anymore. Like my cake analogy. Once everything is mixed and baked, it's not cake ingredients any more... it's a cake. Not a "combined and baked ingredients" cake. Just a cake.

You're absolutely right, though. A "kit" is only a kit until it's assembled, at which point it ceases to be a kit.

If I have the ingredients for a cake on hand, and I mix those ingredients together properly and bake the result, I'd ask you if you'd like to try a piece of my cake, not a piece of my ingredients. ;)

In my neighborhood some folks call everything "jawns" - as in "From what jawn did you get those jawns you used on that jawn there?"

Edited by Brett Barrow

Philly/South Jersey thing. Just realized that the better known spelling outside of Philly is "jawn". The key is the subtle inflection you give to each "jawn" to make them make sense. Like this -

"Hand me that jawn right there." "This 86-tooth spur gear?" "No, the jawns with the jawn on it." "Oh, the upgraded shock tower for the Traxxas Jato?" "Yeah, man, them jawns is tight!" "Yes, it certainly is nice. Will this be cash or credit?" "How much do it bring?" "What?" "How much does them jawns cost?" "Oh, $9.95" "Ok" *hands me a $10 bill* "Umm, there's sales tax..." "What? There's tax on that jawn? *to friend* Yo man, lemme borrow a jawn, so I can buy these jawns right here" *hands me cash* "Would you like a bag?" "Nah, man, save that jawn. *to friend* Yo man, let's go, I go by the jawn and get my jawns so we can go down to the jawn and run these jawns"

And that is pretty much how 75% of the R/C car part transactions I do on a busy Saturday go. For ultimate realism image the customer is simultaneously carrying on a cell phone conversation...

Edited by Brett Barrow

Why change long established terminology to fit a few? Does it change anything? Will it help you to build a better model? Been around model cars since I was a kid in the early 60's it was kit bashing then, everyone knew what it meant still means the same thing as it always has. A model assembled from more than one source of parts. Call it what you want, it's still Kitbashing!

Dan:

So........ When you are done "Kit bashing", you then can no longer call it a kit bashed model.

You have to refer to it as a model bashed model.

No ... actually, the bashing occurred when it was still a kit. It's now the result of a kitbashed process, but now its a model. You been sniffing too many submarine fumes, dewd!

"Hand me that jawn right there." "This 86-tooth spur gear?" "No, the jawns with the jawn on it." "Oh, the upgraded shock tower for the Traxxas Jato?" "Yeah, man, them jawns is tight!" "Yes, it certainly is nice. Will this be cash or credit?" "How much do it bring?" "What?" "How much does them jawns cost?" "Oh, $9.95" "Ok" *hands me a $10 bill* "Umm, there's sales tax..." "What? There's tax on that jawn? *to friend* Yo man, lemme borrow a jawn, so I can buy these jawns right here" *hands me cash* "Would you like a bag?" "Nah, man, save that jawn. *to friend* Yo man, let's go, I go by the jawn and get my jawns so we can go down to the jawn and run these jawns"

Just Smurf me a wee bit of Smurf in a class, do it Smurfly!

Strictly speaking, yes.

But assembled 1:1 kit-cars like the Chaterham are still known as kit-cars after they've been assembled. This distinguishes them from factory built cars and owner/builders are rightly proud of the difference. For the same reason I often refer to my built models as model kits, rightly or wrongly. It's the easiest way to make it clear that when I bought them they were in pieces.

Kit-bashing: I always thought the word "bash" in this context referred to the fact that the donor kit had taken a "hit" - in that it was no longer complete, in many cases no longer able to be built as originally intended.

And around and around we go... wouldnt have expected this thread to be longer than one or two replies. Guess I didnt realize it would be a polarizing hot button. Cant ask a simple question without stirring the pot!

You think this is bad. Ask folks to define the difference between a hot rod or street rod. The resulting argument will create a thread that will crash the server.

Let's just say "kit bashing" is a legacy term from the early years of the hobby.

The one that drives me nuts is "Kit making" people writing "I made this model", the show called the "Model Makers group" that kind of thing... we don't MAKE models, we build them, we assemble them. I'll even accept "I put the model together." Only the manufacturer MAKES the model.

Let's just say "kit bashing" is a legacy term from the early years of the hobby.

The one that drives me nuts is "Kit making" people writing "I made this model", the show called the "Model Makers group" that kind of thing... we don't MAKE models, we build them, we assemble them. I'll even accept "I put the model together." Only the manufacturer MAKES the model.

Unless you're scratch building. Kenb is definitely "making" his models. :)

The fact that this has 3 pages is retarded. Who cares? Getting defensive and arguing about something so petty is ridiculous.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to scratch paint my model bashed Mustang II street rod touring dragster. :lol:

You forgot to mention Rat!