Model Cars Magazine Forum

FULL BUILD REVIEW: 1/12 Revell Shelby Mustang GT500

I plan on doing my chassis as a super clean right off the assembly line but with the steel natural axle color. I have already started the transformation. That amber orangish rust protective primer is no an easy color to replicate! I am using tamiya dark copper. Its pretty close. I plan on adding some factory markings as well

thanks for the compliments... with some detail painting it should create some nice visual interest....

It sure will, Dave! You'll do it proud as ever.

At this point, I begin to worry a bit about doing your head in - but have you totally reversed your body-color overspray?

'Cause these two 2010 Shelby shots -

2010_GT500_Axle1-1.jpg

2010GT500011.jpg

and this 2010 GT shot -

DSCN2252.jpg

have some interesting things to suggest about that... (as in, maybe your gut wasn't so far off after all)

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

Too late Chuck!! Maybe the black underside/rusty/copper treatment is an option? Interesting info though....

Anyways... I resprayed the chassis semigloss black (duplicolor). Then I applied Tamiya dark copper with a flat brush. Its not the exact color but that color is funky! I think it needs to be a custom mix. I like the outcome. I detail painted the bolts, fuel lines, and added a black wash here and there. definitely different than I thought it was!

Thanks to all for the reference pics especially Mr K. :)

P1010714-vi.jpgP1010715-vi.jpgP1010713-vi.jpg

Dave, I would have to say you are doing an AWESOME JOB!! Everything looks great so far. Can't wait to get mine!

I wouldn't worry too much about the bottom and think it looked great either way (that copper color with the black will look really cool IMO with the blue body color if the car is displayed on a mirror).

My thinking is that cars like this one are more likely to end up in the hands of a "car nut/collector" and could have undergone axle painting, undercoating, etc... within the first couple of weeks of being in the hands of it's new owner. It's not like it's a 6 cylinder car that some high school girl got as a gift and is just gonna drive.

For example, I consider my father to be one of those "car nuts"... When the 4th gen Camaros came out, he bought a brand new Z28, and within 5 minutes of being home from the dealership, the car was already up on jack stands with the rear coming out to receive a treatment of black rustoleum.

I knocked the interior out this weekend. It was all done with Scalefinishes Black interior paint over duplicolor grey filler primer. I gotta say again.... it goes together extremely well and is very accurate. Revell gives you all the decals needed including the AIR BAG tags for the front seats. If one was to add seatbelts and flocking it would look perfect. I did mine stock and it still looks great. The stripes on the seats are also decal. The trickiest part is the silver on the dash. That was done by hand with testors lacquer bottle silver.

P1010716-vi.jpg

P1010717-vi.jpg

P1010718-vi.jpg

P1010719-vi.jpg

2012 Boss 302. Others are similar.

normal_2012_mustang_boss_302_104.jpg

-MJS

This is like the shelby and the boss I saw at our dealership, detailed like this and no undercarriage over spray. The same customer bought both, so maybe he had them detailed this way. Guess they can be done both ways, sorry David. Nice build, I haven't done any complete builds in a while, but I am liking the stang here, may have to pick one up.

Edited by prostockmania

This is like the shelby and the boss I saw at our dealership, detailed like this and no undercarriage over spray. The same customer bought both, so maybe he had them detailed this way. Guess they can be done both ways, sorry David. Nice build, I haven't done any complete builds in a while, but I am liking the stang here, may have to pick one up.

No worries.... I like this look.... right or wrong!

Thanks,

I just wont park it next to any of my Tamiya stuff.

:lol: I like your way of thinking Trey.. :)

Though, in all honesty...I do NOT think it would look too out of place. I reckon it will hold it's own, even with a lower level of details. ;)

(I'm also secretly wishing Revell had given us a bit more, but that's not gonna stop me from getting several......)

That interior ROCKS David. Just some simple paint detailing goes a long way. :)

Oh, and the chassis, I would've done mine (when I get them) with body coloured over spray too.....Good to know either way can be correct. :D