Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 1937 Packard convertible

sjordan2

I figured this reference link made more sense here than in the 1:1 Reference section, since it's for large scale builders with specialized interests. Anyway, Fantasy Junction again provides a huge amount of outstanding reference images for models, like this for the 1/16 Entex 1937 Packard, though the real car is an 8 and the kit is a 12-cylinder. In the images, there are some things about the undercarriage that I question as being true to the factory original, such as paint overspray that doesn't match the body color, but perhaps Art Anderson has some thoughts on the subject.

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/974-Packard-Super%208%20Convertible%20Coupe-8-Cylinder

37PackardFJ.jpg

37Packardkit.jpg

Here's a red 8-cylinder

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/797-Packard-Super%208%20Convertible%20Coupe-Inline%208%20Cyl

A 1934 V-12 with good engine pictures:

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/665-Packard-Twelve%20Sport%20Phaeton%20LeBaron-V12

Edited by sjordan2

• 6 months later...

Two 1934 Packard 12 LeBarons I wish were available as models; such pretty cars.

ard12_1107_LeBaronSportCoupe02-vi.jpg

34Packard12_1108_LeBaron02-vi.jpg

On last week's Real or Model, someone mentioned they'd like to build a 1/16 Packard Phaeton. There's a formal sedan now on eBay that could serve as a good start for it (currently at a decent starting price).

http://cgi.ebay.com/entex-1937-12-cylinder-packard-formal-sedan-1-16-ob-/260763477650?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb6b6e692

Edited by sjordan2

I have been able to get the '37 Convertible Coupe model at a very reasonable price, far less than Ebay. It was shipped from Canada today. It's an early release, with the body molded in red. I wish it had been a later one molded in tan, but I'm not going to complain. It'll be primed and painted in automotive colors anyway. I'm contemplating the color scheme; I'm leaning towards a metallic grey similar to the following picture:

37Packardphaeton01-vi.jpg

I am considering the interior in a dark red "leather" finish. The roof would be finished in black, with red piping. I don't know if red piping was available from the factory, but it looks good. I've seen Cords that way, and built a model of one that way for my doctor. It adds a little visual interest. Artistic licence, etc. The one thing I would like to do, but have no bloody idea how to do it accurately, is to add red pinstriping to the body and wheels. Red decal sheet will work for the body, but I would also like to stripe the wheels. I have no bloody idea how to do that since the wheels have a conical shape, and decals might not work well. I'm having nightmares from my early drafting days using a ruling pen in a compass with acrylic paint. Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed!

37Packard37Wheels-vi.jpg

Here's a nice one in blue; this shows the pinstriping a bit better.

37Packardv12victoria01-vi.jpg

Any comments. suggestions, etc. will be welcomed. When I start this, I will start a post in this Big Boys forum. It's been over 30 years since I last built this kit, but I'm looking forward to re-visiting it. And for fun, a Packard promotional photo (grandma was a hottie, lol!):

37Packardad01-vi.jpg

Since I joked about grandma, I had to include this photo of her and my mother, circa 1932. It'll make a nice backdrop for the Packard model. I actually might do a bit more recoloring in Photoshop to improve the original hand tinted print, then size it and cut it out as a foreground "stand-up" accessory for the model.

mom02-vi.jpg

Edited by Jim Gibbons

Since I joked about grandma, I had to include this photo of her and my mother, circa 1932. It'll make a nice backdrop for the Packard model. I actually might do a bit more recoloring in Photoshop to improve the original hand tinted print, then size it and cut it out as a foreground "stand-up" accessory for the model.

mom02-vi.jpg

Very much looking forward to this.

Well, Skip, you're guilty of making me spend some money. I checked out your Ebay link, and for grins, added my bid. I felt pretty confident the bids would sail past it. Well, they didn't. I got it at $71. Yeah, not exactly cheap, but fairly reasonable, especially in light of one site trying to get $175 for it. I built this kit 30 years ago, after I had built the Convertible Coupe. It's a neat blast from the past. The previous owner had started the engine, but never scraped plating off, so most of the parts popped off. The only parts missing from the kit is the rear separate trunk, which was in the Ebay pic, but I think they forgot to pack it. I don't care, as I have no intention of using it. There were a couple of really nice tweezer sets and a nearly new XActo knife in the box (and a 4th of July sparkler???!!!) so, it more than made up the missing trunk.

A brief re-visit of the kit was great; this is indeed, a fine kit. The two bad issues are some incredibly large ejector pin marks on the underside of the body parts, and some very serious sink marks in the front fenders adjacent to the fender mount spare locations. They will be dealt with. I didn't 30 years ago, and likely didn't notice them the way I do now.

I won't be working on this kit initially; I'm waiting for the Convertible Coupe version to arrive first. I'm a bit concerned as the coupe has the body molded in red, and I've followed some bleed through threads. If anyone has some prep/primer suggestions, I'd appreciate it. I plan on an automotive paint medium grey metallic for the body. Whatever kit I do indeed start on, I'll post a thread in Big Boys as a journey of building it.

While I'm here, and since you folks are classic car fans, I have a question. I was able to get an original Monogram Mercedes Benz 540K model for $9.95 (early box, red colored instructions, etc). Not too shabby. I received this very kit for my tenth birthday, and built it out of the box with little detailing. Sadly, it didn't survive numerous moves, etc., and is lost to everything but memory. I am sorely tempted to build it the same way I did as a kid; I might polish the red plastic, add a little more detail, engine painting, etc. but just do a clean build of it with a minimum of paint. Am I nuts? Heck, I build, not collect. I'm pretty convinced there are enough of the 540Ks out there that I shouldn't feel guilty. Whaddya think?

• 1 month later...

A bit of an update; I was going through my back issues of Hemmings Classic Car, and found this article with some great photographs of Jack Benny's personal '37 Formal Sedan. The website photos don't show the color as well as the printed ones. I've decided that I will build mine the same way. I built Al Jolson's '33 Cadillac many years ago, and have the Franklin Mint diecast of Greta Garbo's Duesenberg, so I might as well keep up a Hollywood theme. I find it interesting that Jack Benny's doesn't have the front fender "parking" lights. I didn't know they were optional.

http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/2010/02/01/hmn_feature9.html

A bit of an update; I was going through my back issues of Hemmings Classic Car, and found this article with some great photographs of Jack Benny's personal '37 Formal Sedan. The website photos don't show the color as well as the printed ones. I've decided that I will build mine the same way. I built Al Jolson's '33 Cadillac many years ago, and have the Franklin Mint diecast of Greta Garbo's Duesenberg, so I might as well keep up a Hollywood theme. I find it interesting that Jack Benny's doesn't have the front fender "parking" lights. I didn't know they were optional.

Jim, that link doesn't work for me.

Weird, I had the same problem. Here's the link as text; copy and paste it into your browser. This way worked for me.

Edit: when I pasted this in, the link seems to work without using the "Insert Link" feature here.

That's some great reference. I also noticed there's additional reference for other 30S Packards on that page.

The red convertible doesn't have much on that site, but you can get to more shots here:

http://www.artcurial.com/en/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=2015+++++260+&refno=10350424

Edited by sjordan2

Found this on Hemmings while I was there:

1934PackardMyth_700.jpg

Hemmings caption:

"Next, the Myth, a wild 1934 Packard, built by Frank Roxas with a Packard V-12 and an all-steel body built by Scott and Dave Knight. It made a fairly big splash at the Detroit Autorama earlier this year, but I haven’t seen much of it since. All we know from the RM description so far is that it’s going up with no reserve."

Search roxas packard myth in Google images for some other pretty cool shots.

Edited by sjordan2

The Myth is nice; the only thing I don't like is the headlight treatment. I would have preferred the traditional headlight buckets, maybe downsized a little for modern lighting technology.

I agree. I think it would look better with a headlight treatment similar to the Chrysler Atlantic concept car.

• 8 years later...