Model Cars Magazine Forum

I just saw this. Competition Resins 1971 Challenger

I was cruising around Comp resins site this morning and I see they have released a resin 1971 Dodge Challenger pro stock kit

I just ordered a few resin hoods last week and this body was not on there at that time.

I now have a source to do a 1/25 scale Mopar Missile Challenger kit

http://www.compresins.com/site/751597/product/CR-5024

Edited by gtx6970

Sounds good.

I've been looking for a builder of an original MPC 1971 Challenger kit to do the Motown Missle car,,,,,with no luck.

I have there 1968-69 Charger funny car body and if this Challenger is even close to that quality, it'll be a knockout

I just got the Demon at Christmas , It is gorgeous ! I will be ordering this Challenger - Now !

I ordered one of these just before X-mas and it arrived in 48 hours! I couldn't friggin believe it especially just before X-mas. It arrived on the 24th no less!

Anyway, the body is gorgeous. Not a blemish of any sort on it. The whole package (bumpers, lights, etc.) is of very high quality. The only thing I don't care for is the hood. The scoop is not for me and there are molded on hood pins (which should be easy to remove). It does not include any chassis or interior components and Roger at Comp Resins really couldn't recommend a donor kit so I've still got that to figure out. Once I do, I plan to build the M Missle. If anyone can offer suggestions for a donor kit(s), I would appreciate it.

For what it's worth, I have purchased a number of bodies from Roger over the years and every single one of them has been top notch.

I wonder if one could just use the AMT interor tub and chassis ? I didn't even think about the Joahn cuda kit as a doner , I just assumed this body is based on an original MPC kit ??

maybe I better ask

I have plenty of the Johan Cudas and also several MPC 72-74 Challenger builtups if needed as well

I sure hope it's not based on the lindberg Challenger.

ps, Reliable resin lists a Missle Challenger type hood but with the reviews of service I am gun shy to go there

Edited by gtx6970

OK, I had to do it. I dug out an MPC 1972 Landy Challenger body.

And did a test fit of both a Johan 71 cuda int tub and chassis as well as an AMT 1970 Chalenger int tub and chassis into an MPC body - and I think both could be made to work without to much difficulty . I think the best fit is combining an AMT interior tub and the Johan chassis .

Once I get my toy fund replenished I am going to order one of these .

Are the Stepp decals avail ? I saw a set of Ebay a while back for both the Demon and the Challenger but that was just a one time thing and I haven't seen them since + I didn't get them

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm not familiar with any of these older kits so I guess I've got some work to do.

I think Comp Resins also has a Missle type hood scoop avail separately. I kind of wish Roger had made the hood with a cutout instead of with the scoop but I can work with it. Happy trails...

As Edsel Dan has asked . Who is doing the '71 Challenger Raggtop to make the Pace Car ? I prefer before the Race Version . Thanx ..

Harts Parts makes resin conversion parts incl.a flat hood to convert the AMT '70 convertible to a '71.

Time Machine Resins makes a resin '71 body etc.

Yea, Definitely want an Early/Before Race start Pace car. That is the one that

coming to the Start forgot to slow down & hit the Press stand at the end of pit road.

Thanks for the info, Bet the Hart's Parts would be cheaper than the full body from Time Machine.

All I need are the front clip, Grill etc, Tail lights, and interior if different upholstery pattern.

I think I will use the Twinscoop hood in the last re-issue, or even the one I filled from the

Yankee Challenger issue!!

Or different cars.

71 is the year that the pace car was selected LATE.

Almost at the start of the event. (or that month/week before)

I have read that they just took one off the lot/showroom at a local dealer.

It happened to be Orange with the white & black interior

No Dealer offered replicas as they were standard production cars.

The Cady decal sheet has markings for several different engine options too. Likely

because those at the track had different engines too due to the late time frame in choosing it

Regarding the Comp Resins '71 Challenger P/S body, I just picked up an AMT '70 Challenger and it appears this will work as donor kit. I only did a quick check but the chassis pan and the interior tub seem to fit almost perfectly in the Comp Resin body. I haven't removed the flash from the resin body yet but it also looks like the hood and windsheild fit correctly also although I'm not sure the hood will work for what I have in mind.