Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin Mustang Lx's a Comparison and Review thread.

I have heard that as well, Chuck. Just think of it, take the V6 body and interior (or a very base GT), add the Brembo brakes package, the GT500 (or FR500C/R/S suspension group) and install that sexy EcoBoost V6! Makes me all giggly inside thinking about it!

Edited by whale392

Current issue of Motor Trend has a speculation write up about the 2015 Mustang (with some pretty realistic photoshopping of the current car with what they think it will look like in 2015) that says the SVO name could come back with a 250+HP EcoBoost turbo-charged 4 cylinder.

Edited by niteowl7710

And there's the thorny issue of 'if' that Revell notchback will ever be released. When it comes to Revell, I have pretty much adopted an "I'll believe it when its sitting on the shelf at the hobby shop" mentality. Maybe I'm being a bit too pessemistic, but given Revell's recent history of either taking forever to release a kit after it is announced or never bothering to release it at all, my hopes of this Revell coupe aren't too high. And I don't even want to get into the 'will it be any better than what's avaialable already' side of things as far as accuracy goes...

Edited by Chuck Most

I was really hoping revell would issue the new coupe in 1/24 just because the hatches and verts are still pretty common and a 25th coupe is gonna be outta place. As much as yall might hate me for this but i'd rather see it based on the current hatch or vert kits just for that reason

Exactly! Especially since it is completely unlikely that they would ever revisit ANY of there previous releases in anything but 1/24th scale. (Turbo Cobra,Turbo Capri and IMSA cars excluded) Personally I'd like to display all of them together rather then with the MPC/AMT versions.

Edited by Abell82

You know, that's the thing though I waited for quite a while, for the Reliable car to come out, and when it did I was sorely disappointed.

I don't want to be let down again. And Revell's track record lately... Personally I'd rather take a proactive approach.

Imagine if Revell used there existing Turbo Cobra or worse the convertible "cabriolet" version as the basis for the "New" LX coupe!

WOW. No offense to anyone involved here - But looks like this topic has a one way ticket to Lockville.

My take on this - If the flaws in the master (Darin, that would be referring to you) can be seen by the purists and your heart wasn't in it (You practically admitted that earlier in this topic) you cannot produce the most accurate body. I don't think that picking apart something (Jason, Now I'm talking to you) like you have is warranted either.

As Rabid as Mustang fans are (they are right up there w/ General Lee Fans), they will search out and find flaws & incorrect details. To then simply blow them off & say that you "didn't care for the 1:1" & that the imperfections 'aren't that bad' is like slapping them in the face, telling them to get over themselves and move on. I think they should move on to better things also, but I completely understand why things have been said & how defensive both side are on this topic.

I take no offense at all and completely understand what your saying.

However, if the issues are not addressed, how will they ever be fixed? And for the record I also completely agree with Dave, if it hadn't been so agressively sold as the only "correct" Mustang LX, then it would be a much smaller issue. If instead it had just been marketed as the "New and improved" Reliable Resin Lx...

They made ALOT of promises though, and then fell through. They KNEW what they were getting into, they even say so in the old thread (well they did before the edit job anyway!). AND so I really find it hard to feel all that sympathetic especially when they say "it's the best on the market", So buy it despite it's flaws.

Edited by Abell82

For those in the 1:25 camp, the offical MAD website image and info on the '79 Notch- http://www.madmodeling.com/store/ccp0-prodshow/79muscoupe.html

I have not yet had the chance to have one in my hands, but I think this is the one I'm getting. It appears to be a pretty complete transkit, its 1:25 (making it more consistent with 90% of my other models), and represents the earlier style nose and taillamp treatment. Nothing against the '87-up styles, I just prefer the earlier designs myself. B)

Please Note: I am not saying that any of these bodies are not worth building, and it should be noted that I am ONLY listing the more commonly known proportional problems with these bodies.

As these are resin cast bodies some bodies may be more flawed then others, but ALL will share in these flaws.

Here is an AAM that has had the side trim, and nose addressed... (it still needs a new roof, and the trunk fixed.)

100_2696.jpg

100_2878.jpg

103_0616.jpg

The thing I've noticed about all of the 1:24 bodies out there is this- none are perfect, but to me at least, the issues with them are ones I can either look past or fix easily. The notch I'm planning won't be anywhere near factory stock, and I do have to confess I'm not a stickler for 100% accuracy- IF such a thing exists in any scale model to begin with.

ANd besides, which builds to you look back upon more fondly- the ones that fell together so easily you barely remember the build process, or the ones that required a little bit of creative technique and effort on your part? B) From that perspective, ANY of these transkits look like a lot of fun to me!

Depending. But, I would start with the Reliable body combined with either the 87-93 GT bits (for an 87-89 car) or the 93 Cobra (for the 90-93 cars). Reliable also makes a set of 10-holes, but I would go with Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland before I would RR. Depending on agency, the lightbars will have to be made/modified. (I am doing an FHP 1993 SSP and am making the 'Jetsonic' bar from the lightbar in the Revell Impala Police car.

Reliable Resins car is as of right now the only kit (sort of ) readily available.

The issue (other then those stated) is that it does not come with mirrors. the only option for those is the 93 Cobra which may or may not be 100% correct. Or possibly you could modify a different set, such as those from the 87 T-Bird, or?

And the airbag steering wheel is the other item found only in the Cobra kit. (too bad Revell didn't include it in the new release of the SVO!)

It's kind of a shame as Brad stated earlier that you can't use one of the MUCH easier and cheaper to get Lowrider convertibles in it's entirety for these bodies.

Maybe the steering wheel is available in a different kit? Anyone? Explorer or Crown vic? F150 or?

Haven't seen it anywhere else Jason. However, maybe that means I need to get on making a resin copy of it, the corresponding steering column clamshell, and the small headrests!

And the ONLY reason I suggested starting with the Reliable piece is that it is the only one really available at the moment.........not because of the quality casting (all 3 are only so-so, as discussed here earlier).

Edited by whale392

Kris of M.A.D. arranged for me to master his Mustang LX. I also did his Mustang II notchback. I am by no means an expert on this body, and sadly, I did not have access to a real one, but I did try as hard as I could to make it as "right" as possible. I was nervous about submitting it to Kris when it was ready, but it seems to have gotten generally favorable reviews. The idea from the beginning was to try and keep costs reasonable. The decision on what to include and not include was entirely Kris'.

Shameless plug: You will never find a nicer guy, or nicer guy to work for than Kris Morgan.

I hope whatever inaccuracies the kit has won't be too difficult to correct.

Tom,

as to your mastering of the MAD 1979-82 Coupe....I would say you have done the BEST job at capturing the lines of the coupe so far. Better even than others claiming to be 'Correct'. I talked with Kris at length about this particular kit before I bought one, as the pics he sent to me showed some areas of concern. Once I received it and got to do a good up-close hands-on look, most of those concerns went away. Being as it was based on one of the most externally accurate kits available for its' day (don't get me started on the rest of the kit though....looks like MPC concentrated solely on the body and just sort of 'oh well'-ed the rest) it came out looking good. Don't be ashamed or feel bad about it, you did good (this coming from a guy who couldn't master a sheet of flat stock). I own 4 of the 1:1 FOXes, so I can be pretty critical.