Model Cars Magazine Forum

Whats the best masking tape?

l gotta try it then. l can't imagine getting better results, but it's worth a shot. l'm due for more tape soon anyway !

If you get it,spend the extra money and get the dispenser. It keeps the sides of the tape from collecting those fuzzies that will sometimes end up in your paint job. I use the 6mm for the edges and the blue tape for the rest.

It won't as long as you don't burnish it down like it will be permanent. A quick swipe with a thumb or finger attaches BMF well enough to be a mask without damage in removal. I also use 3M masking tape, but alot of folks feel it's too prone to picking up fuzz on it's edges but i've had pretty good success with it.

i'll give it a try - cause i certainly can't get it to look like chrome! i have better luck with photo etch than i do with BMF.

thanks

The adhesive on blue "long-mask" tape reacted with my polished-out clearcoat (Duplicolor) resulting in a grainy surface which then needed to be re-wetsanded and polished out again. Fortunately, my clearcoat was applied thick enough to allow it otherwise I'd have been screwed.

Tamiya tape is well-worth the expense, and that's coming from a confirmed cheapskate. ;)