Model Cars Magazine Forum

taking care of resin

I think everyone knows that resin bodies tend to warp some if not kept in the right conditions like temperature or not sitting right in the box. Do these problems continue once it's painted and built? The real thin bodies are nice because they're about as close to plastic as they get, but man do they get twisty. Maybe the paint and glass and interior helps keep them straight? Anybody run into problems?

here's a few of mine

http://public.fotki.com/BigPoppa/kriss_stu...sin_model_cars/

I've never seen the resin bodies warp once they're assembled; with glass and chassis and assembly they seem to hold up just fine, at least with my experience; but they're kept in pretty "friendly" conditions inside a showcase.

I've had a few bodies get a bit warped from improper storage, but nothing that hasn't been fixed w/some hot water. I have a Shawn Carpenter '62 Grand Prix, one of the nicest bodies I've ever gotten, and it warped inside the box after I got it because a couple of parts shifted and the body wasn't sitting squarely in the box. I fixed the warp and repacked the kit carefully in it's box; I checked it recently and the warp has not returned at all. I'm a lot more careful now w/storing the bodies.

I have an HRM Ferrari 365 Daytona transkit, and it was really twisted! I currently have it stored with the Fujimi kit glass taped in the body, the kit's styrene hood taped to the body, and the kit's chassis plate snapped in place. For the most part, the body is now straight, so it will stay like this untill it gets built. All my kits are stored indoors, so excessive heat is not an issue.

interesting question, i've had a resin Johan B-body Mopar chassis sitting in my attic since 2003. its from R&R and I only used the body, and not the chassis, so the chassis got thrown into a parts box and forgotten about. over the past 3 years it had held it shape. my attic does'nt get very hot but it gets alot hotter then the rest of the house.

• 7 months later...