Model Cars Magazine Forum

Showboat Redux / Quarter Master...Update 11/23/13

Thanks Brett & Ira. Always a pleasure to see comments from you.

Slow but steady is the keyword for the day. Got the body hinged and I'm debating a roof hatch. Happened to notice room between the firewall and the engines to put fuel and oil tanks as well. Too close to the pilot?

Also got some paint on the engine and drive train parts. More to shoot tomorrow.

Chugging right along..........

0018.jpg0019.jpg0020.jpg0021.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the overlong delay folks. It's been a crazy start to the month, but everything is under control. Right. Who am I trying to fool?

First things first !!!! WOOT !!! I've finally decided on a name. It's partly to honor the Wagonmaster incarnation, but since it's not a wagon, I had to come up with something else. QUARTER MASTER. With any luck I'll be able to manipulate the Goodyear font since it isn't available to the public. I have no great skills in PhotoShop, but I hope to pull it off. If it works, there will be a wingfoot logo between the words.

QUARTER / MASTER. I know that Goodyear won't sponsor an individual team that competes for obvious reasons. But why not an exhibition car that has a single purpose? Abuse the living daylights out of the sponsors product. "Smoke 'em if ya' got 'em."

It did take longer than expected to get the engines done, but so far I'm very pleased. The headers are the next challenge. Tried a plastic version using 3/32 styrene tubing, but I think I'll go with some solder I've got. Also 3/32nd. Only have to get 32 exactly matching pieces, drill one end to put a pin in and another to open up the exhaust tip to the proper diameter. There will also be a pair of jigs for left and right side angles.

So I'll be back with another episode when that's done. Thanks for checking in.

0025.jpg0024.jpg0023.jpg0022.jpg

Edited by Nitrozilla

Are you sure four Hemis is enough?

Given the way Tommy arranged the showboat with the LH side driving the front and the RH side driving the rear you could have six Hemis. Or eight...

:lol:

Great work. Looking forward to seeing this through to completion.

Thanx for the comments All. I know its a little low on horsepower, but the Gotcha' Factor makes up for that. Too bad I'm not using flames on the paint job because that would make it go faster. Maybe if I put a recess in the interior so that the gas pedal can go past where it should stop?

Working on the headers today. Got them cut to length and bent. Next a little trim and some drilling..........LOTS of drilling !!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Jigs, Jigs, Jigs, Jigs !!!!!!!!! Patience paid off after 3 different versions of the headers and 4 incarnations of the jigs to assemble them.

Thanx for your patience as well. After the headers are installed I'll move on to engine mounts and frame mods to accommodate the front axle. After that maybe tackle the nose. Who knows. See what I did there?

0026.jpg0027.jpg0028.jpg0029.jpg0030.jpg

...making four sets of anything identical is a major undertaking...

Hence my stalled Challenger 1...

I've been told that you shouldn't use cored solder for making headers as the rosin will corrode then from within. I've no idea if this is true but have always used the solid stuff just in case.

Hope i'm wrong as those look great.

Thanks again everybody.

Scott - If anybody knows about making duplicates, you do.

Vernon - I may be slow posting, but I'm old.

Fred - Please be wrong. I looked for solid with no luck. Hopefully between Super glue in one end and paint in the other, I've sealed them if that makes a difference. It's powder as opposed to a liquid core.

Neil - Welcome aboard the Crazy Train.

Stay tuned.