Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why do we smoke?

Not meaning to offend anyone, but It probably will anyway... Things I thing are stupid about smoking;

1. Ya ever hear someone say I don't smoke in my car, it ruins the interior...So you don't mind getting that stuff in your lungs but worry about the car you'll trade in in five years...Smart!

2. I'm 46 and a lot of people I know are my age or younger and smoke. This means they most likely started smoking in the 1980's or later. Did they not notice the warnings on the package or the news in general saying "this stuff will kill you"? I mean it's not like my grandfather who started smoking in the 1920's when doctors were in cigarette ads. You startred smoking when we already knew it was stupid!

3. A pack of smokes cost a minimum of $5 around here. What would a pack a day smoker say if I stepped outside where my cow-workers smoke and lit a $5 dollar bill on fire? they would think I was nuts. That's how I picture them.

4. I know several people, myself included who won't date smokers. imagine you meet your soulmate, and she won't date you because you smoke? that would suck.

Edited by Darin Bastedo

I feel a lump in my thoat for about the last two months so I figured it was time to give up cigaraettes. Also, my head just feels wrong in the mornings. I am now on day 10. Getting so hard. They told me the first few days were the hardest but I thought were actually the easiest. For me, day six and on were beginning to get tough. Yesterday my friend gave me some marijuana before we went to a chinese buffet for breakfast and it helped so much with the cravings. That wore off later that evening. Funny that I am not craving more marijuana, maybe not even nicotine but I think the cigarette itself. Mind you I get by, but I seem to eat more now and lack motivation. Never knew how dangerous this product is until you try to stop.

A big part of it IS psychological. Something you you did without thinking about it just like an involuntary reflex.

Finish breakfast, light up, finish a coffee, light up on and on. That is why a piece of hard candy or a piece of gum every time the craving hits works so well for most who try it.

The worst thing a person trying to quit can do is use any of the "crutches" that are being marketed. It takes forever to quit using them and the odds are much higher that you will start back up than if you go cold turkey.

Oh, and pot is not an answer to anything. It is just a mask that delays what ever you are using it for other than to just get high.

Edited by Johnny

trying to quit smoking after many years has to be the hardest thing anyone does. I need to quit myself. Have smoked since 1966 when I first went to VietNam. tried once on a bet with a paratrooper buddy and we stopped for a year until I saw him sneaking a smoke one day and out of anger I started back again. bad business it is.

I've quit drinking cold turkey ( 25.03.2002 ) . I've had *maybe* a couple of shot glasses worth of a tasty Ale or Stout (only because I loved a good Ale or Stout , the only beers I could enjoy !) since then , and only because a friend was drinking something that *looked* and smelled tasty .

I quit smoking marijuana (18.05.2002 ) as its effects were becoming , shall we say , less than pleasurable ( panic attacks , getting "the fear" , and other uncomfortable sensations) . Conversely , I wish it was absolutely legal . I know many who smoke it to ease chronic pains , boost their appetite , etc. , etc.

I haven't taken an amphetamine tablet or capsule in over 10 years . While I only used good , clinical prescription stuff ( typically , Adderall ) , and only if it was around , I didn't "abuse" it . Only took one if I wanted to stay up late after working all day and having to show my art at an art opening .

The only psychedelic I've ever taken was STP ( chemically , DOM ) . All I can say is , "WOW !!" . It was a heavy , but really fun , trip .

As far as cigarettes are concerned : I've been smoking on and off since H.S. , more on than off . Love me some Marlboro Reds , and American Spirit Piraque Blend (a tasty cig with coffee drinks).

I smoke a lot at work , but not nearly as much when I'm home all day . I might knock off about 5-7 Reds on my days off , sometimes only 2-3 a day !

Considering all of the other stuff I've used / abused over the years , my cigarette habit is nothing ! Ha ha ha .

I know people who only smoke when they're drinking , or only at work , or other special occassions , and they all agree with me :

smoking bans in bars is just plain stupid . Really , who goes to the bar for their health ??? Ascinine !!

So , yeah , I still smoke cigs .

" If I chase away all of my devils , my angels would leave , too ! "

My wife says it keeps her working, she gets the cancer they remove every day in the lab to run tests on. I quit 31 years ago, it was the hardest thing I ever did. When you get the sudden urge you need something to replace it. For me it was running and it hurt for a long time. I would run 3 or 4 times a day as far as I could. At first it was about 300 feet. When I ran a mini marathon I knew I would never go back.