Model Cars Magazine Forum

Union Pacific "Big Boy" Locomotive

She does OK Brian. Haven't ran her since I moved to Ohio though (she is still in Florida). I do have an Athearn SD40-2 that I have canned and added a lot of weight to (and a LOT of aftermarket detailing to) that I pull with at the moment. She was a CSX unit, but I have added the SD50/60 series blower duct, the GP50/60 series Dynamic brake blister (2 GP units cut and spliced to form the SD40s proper lengthed housing)..............all sorts of mods. She pulls 110 NMRA wieghted 60' boxes.

Now that sounds nice! I can't wait to start doing stuff like that with my engines. I haven't touched them yet but with all I've learned here I'm going to! :lol:

Well, I am also midway through a conversion, or a 'what if' if you will. I have two SD-9s from Life-Likes Proto-Power line, and two of their GP30s. I am keeping one SD-9 stock, while the other is donating its Chassis/running gear/various components to a 'Conversion'. I am splicing the 2 GP30 PhaseI shells together, along with the various components/chassis of the sacrificed SD-9 to create a "What if' SD30 (not what they did, but what I think they could have done). That way, I have the correct early EMD running gear along with the over-cab Dynamic brake blister that makes the GP30 so identifiable in an SD format.