Model Cars Magazine Forum

RRRobot! 12th Scale Rolling Robot with Pilot...Finished!

RRRobot!

I started this project by playing around with the Robot parts to see what I could come up with. Most of the parts come from the AMT "Lost in Space" Robot. I am going to add a 12th scale Pilot and Fiber Optics Lighting. I am also planning to get rid of the Robots Tank Tracks and replace them with a Big Round Tire. Lets get started!

DSCN2583R_zps62803b55.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

Playing with the Parts!

I started with the 2 main upper Body Halves and the 2 lower Body Halves. The most of the lower Body Halves are supposed to fit inside the upper Body Halves with just a small bit of the Round Bottom Section sticking out, as shown on the Box Art. I am pulling the lower Body Halves out of the upper Body Halves to form a new lower Body Section as shown. The photo shows the Front of the Robot with the lower section taped in place.

DSCN2568R_zps9722ad39.jpg

Here is the back of the RRRobot Mock-Up. This is about the time I decided to get serious and go ahead with this New Project!

DSCN2571R_zps02e0a40b.jpg

More Coming... B)

Turn it Around!

I glued the bottom Body Halves together and then sprayed all of the Blue Plastic with Primer. The Primer Surface makes it easier to see and to write on with a pencil. I ended up turning the Front lower half of the Body around to the back. Now I have the Front of the upper RRRobot Body matched to the Rear lower Body.

DSCN2601R_zps2b6b71af.jpg

I needed to do a little Cutting & Fitting to get the Top Body Halves to fit over the Lower Body.

DSCN2598R_zps15fded19.jpg

A little more Cutting & Fitting and the Top Halves fit together pretty tight.

DSCN2600R_zps86d549c1.jpg

More Coming... B)

Rollin' RRRobot!

This Clear Plastic Top came from a Bubble Gum Machine-Toy Container. It looks like it might work as the Big Tire for the RRRobot.

Fletch, a member of FMC in San Francisco recently Scratch Built a Robot from the 1950's Cartoon Show "Ruff & Ready". Ruff & Ready was my favorite TV show back in 1959! The Robot featured a "Ball' that it rolled around on. This was the inspiration for the RRRobots Big Tire, Thanks Fletch!

DSCN2625R_zpsd7e38f40.jpg

With just a little Trimming & Fitting it fits perfectly!

DSCN2617R_zps7f8888ea.jpg

Here it is with a spray of Primer. I am looking in the parts box for a Pilot for the RRRobot. This one looks like the right size.

DSCN2633R_zps67d5af98.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

Laid Back!

I worked on positioning the Top of the Robot on the Bottom for quite a while. Then I pulled the, back half of the Top, back until it touched the, back of the Bottom. That looked Right! Next I cut away areas where the Top touched the Bottom Details, until the Top rested against the Bottom, nice & tight.

DSCN2686R_zpsb7bc9e20.jpg

Here are the areas that were cut away from the Back of the Top to make it a good fit.

DSCN2693R_zps1dbc5cbd.jpg

More Coming... B)

Up Front!

With the Back of the Body fit in place, it's time to position the Front. I started by adding strips of plastic to fill the gap between the Front of the Body and the Lower Half.

DSCN2634R_zps94059b62.jpg

Here is the Front in place, a little higher than earlier.

DSCN2650R_zpsd59f9079.jpg

Here is another Front View. The Top of the Body is not glued in place yet...

DSCN2653R_zps95d2145c.jpg

More Coming... B)

Lower Front Panel!

This part is from the Center Robot Section, the one with the second set of smaller Arms. You can see it in the Robot Box Art. I am going to make it part of the RRRobot Body.

DSCN4020R_zpsab51d938.jpg

First I cut the back section off. I cut it off, following the contour of the underside of the Front-Bottom edge of the Body.

DSCN4023R_zpsd218f85a.jpg

Here is the part after a little more cutting & fitting.

DSCN4026R_zpsafd434cd.jpg

Mock-Up!
Here is the part in position. The center of this part has a clear plastic piece that fits inside the indentation. I will probably cut out one of the sections, so you can see what's underneath the clear part...

DSCN4033R_zps9748bc2d.jpg

More Coming... B)

Impala Lights!

I found 2 sets of '59 Impala Headlights. I thought they would work well on RRRobot.

DSCN4102R_zps0436d1d8.jpg

Tail Lights!
I cut out a little of the Body and fit the Impala Headlights in the back for Tail Lights.

DSCN4106R_zpsb709ffff.jpg

Then I did a little Cutting & Fitting and installed the Headlights.

DSCN4109R_zps2a4b5fef.jpg

Before I put the Headlights in I cut out an opening for the Pilot.

DSCN4018R_zpsf9bea87b.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

Rock & Roll!

RRRobot Rolls around on a Big Rubber Ball/Tire. RRRobot uses 2 Gyroscope to keep it Rock Steady! The Tire was a little too long so I marked it for Cutting.

DSCN4099R_zps78623509.jpg

I cut the excess off with a cutting wheel In a Dremel Tool.

DSCN4101R_zps00003ffa.jpg

Next I glued a washer on the end of a short length of Plastic Tubing. This will be the Main Support for the RRRobot on the Base.

DSCN4148R_zps38eba4e9.jpg

More Coming... B)

Mounting the Ball/Tire!

I drilled a hole in the bottom of the Ball large enough to pass the Plastic Tube through.

DSCN4151R_zps9e0c4e88.jpg

I glued the Plastic Tube inside the Body. Then I glued a Large Washer at the end of the Tube to hold it in place better.

DSCN4154R_zpsad1b3448.jpg

Here is the Tire/Ball glued in place on the bottom of the Body with the Tube Cut-Off at the outside edge of the Tire/Ball.

DSCN4156R_zpsfa3d8445.jpg

More Coming... B)

The RRRobot Base!

I found 4 Great RRRobot Bases in the Kitchen! They are Burner Covers for the Electric Stove. You can probably find these at the Dollar Store or Walgreens. I punched a small hole in the center. Then I enlarged the hole with a Reamer.

DSCN4136R_zps19488962.jpg

Next I cut a length of Plastic Tube the same size that I just glued into the Ball/Tire. I cut the plastic tube short enough to fit inside the Base with a little extra room for Fiber Optics. I glued a few Washers around the Tube to hold it in place.

DSCN4140R_zpsda283587.jpg

Then I glued a small washer on the end of the Tube.

DSCN4146R_zpsa55bb4f6.jpg

More Coming... B)

RRRobot Mock-Up!

First, I cut a length of Brass Tubing to fit in the Plastic Tubes in the Tire Ball and the Base. Then I taped the Upper Body in place and slid the Robot on to the Brass Tube in the Base. The Fiber Optics will go into the RRRobot Body through the Brass Tube in the Base.

DSCN4170R_zps11d6e7f7.jpg

Side View.

DSCN4162R_zps04cc5e51.jpg

Rear View.

DSCN4166R_zpsc5ec0bfd.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

Thrusters & Stuff!

I decided to add a few New Details to RRRobots sides. The grey round piece is a Sunken Headlight from a 1949 Mercury. I drilled holes and glued one in each side.

DSCN4135R_zps9cf468a8.jpg

I'm going to add Thrusters to RRRobot, so I used a Engine Parts from the X-Wing Fighter and glued one to each side.

DSCN4209R_zps62c3f049.jpg

Then I glued a Metal Washer on each end.

DSCN4213R_zpsd6fb6e9f.jpg

Edsel Grill?
Yes, I glued an Edsel Vent on each side...

DSCN4220R_zps6ef13861.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira