Model Cars Magazine Forum

Long Shock Absorbers.

I'm looking to build a Baja Bug/Beetle and need some long shocks, that's two on each corner! I have plenty of alloy and plastic tubing for the telescopic effect, but I can't find any springs, I used to use pen springs but don't see any anymore.

You can wrap wire around a piece of tubing, or a nail to make the springs. It won't support weight and work like a spring, but I always got my ride height set and glued things into place, so that the spring is just for show.

Depending on the scale and your method some shocks from a truck kit may work for you.

I am doing a Baja right now myself and this is my current attack at this problem. I may change it soon though.

I created a new spring plate and frame work for the rear out of solder. I am kicking around a standard has shock (in the picture painted) a coil which will be made by wrapping jewelry wire (cheap stuff from Walmart) around a screw to get the coil. Or possibly doing a coil over by combining the two systems.

post-14997-0-05664400-1431921923_thumb.j

I have done my share of scratch build suspensions including all sorts of shocks. I have used springs from pens which do work.

I currently am working on a stadium truck with functional suspension. I used pen springs for this one and IMO are a little flimsy looking.

6-5.jpg

20071103_2227.jpg

Another approach is go with the Nitrogen filled shock look. I did this on a Baja I built. I used pen springs for the front and Nitrogen filled duals on the back.

IMG_9535_zpslosptqli.jpg

IMG_9531_zps6dznkxtb.jpg

I recently came across something while working. I was replacing a huge seal (I am a service technician) and inside the seal is a spring. I brought this seal home removed the spring, cut it in half and stretchered it. It looks fantastic! Wheel seals will have the same spring. Different sized wheel seals will have different sized springs inside.

post-2112-0-67924100-1431963442_thumb.jp

post-2112-0-26764800-1431963451.jpg

I have done my share of scratch build suspensions including all sorts of shocks. I have used springs from pens which do work.

I currently am working on a stadium truck with functional suspension. I used pen springs for this one and IMO are a little flimsy looking.

6-5.jpg

20071103_2227.jpg

Another approach is go with the Nitrogen filled shock look. I did this on a Baja I built. I used pen springs for the front and Nitrogen filled duals on the back.

IMG_9535_zpslosptqli.jpg

IMG_9531_zps6dznkxtb.jpg

I recently came across something while working. I was replacing a huge seal (I am a service technician) and inside the seal is a spring. I brought this seal home removed the spring, cut it in half and stretchered it. It looks fantastic! Wheel seals will have the same spring. Different sized wheel seals will have different sized springs inside.

Just amaizing! I want to see the Stadium truck build pleaseeeeee!

Another alternative for springs is using aluminum rod and a machine screw. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and look for a screw that looks to be the proper size.

Find a rod (local hobby shop or a large Ace Hardware store) with a diameter that looks good, such as 1/64" or 1/32" (or metric sizes too). Place the machine screw in a vise, then wrap the aluminum rod around the screw keeping the rod in the screw grooves. When done, remove the screw by unscrewing it.

RESULT: same-diameter coils that are evenly/identically spaced.

Edited by BigTallDad