Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Texaco gas station blueprints - build it yourself

ChrisBcritter

Several years ago I obtained copies made from exterior blueprints for a three-bay Texaco station.They were dated from January 8, 1959 for a project to be built in Corpus Christi. They have all the dimensions for the building on all four sides, which is just what you'd need to build one in scale. I scanned the copies and made them as readable as possible, but the files are very large (8 files @ 7 to 10 MB each) so I can't post them here, so I made screenshots:

post-12159-0-85445500-1374184041_thumb.j

post-12159-0-84829200-1374184063_thumb.j

post-12159-0-23256600-1374184088_thumb.j

post-12159-0-71940900-1374184141_thumb.j

post-12159-0-86025500-1374184174_thumb.j

post-12159-0-70430200-1374184198_thumb.j

post-12159-0-68627400-1374184224_thumb.j

post-12159-0-13276800-1374184237_thumb.j

Now if these aren't readable enough, let me know and I can email the original large files to anyone who'd like to build one. The original blueprints were sold in an eBay auction; I got outbid but contacted the seller and asked if he would sell me some copies. He made them and sent them to me for free! So this is my way of paying it forward. I wish there were interior measurements as well, but hopefully you can guesstimate those.

The building itself looks to me to be nearly identical to the Buddy L kit with one more service bay; I imagine you could tweak the measurements to make a one- or two-bay station. Happy modeling!

P.S.: This former station in South Carolina is very similar except for the canopy:

http://forums.aaca.org/attachments/f169/11487d1181336318-ghostly-gas-stations-442242-texacoonebay.jpg

Edited by ChrisBcritter

There is a station near me that appears to be built to these specs exactly, except for just two bays. With these becoming available, am I to conclude that I MUST build this? Such riches in reference materials I rarely see. Hmmmm....

By the way, If someone else also wants to build this, I can fill in the details concerning the interior layout.

There is a station near me that appears to be built to these specs exactly, except for just two bays. With these becoming available, am I to conclude that I MUST build this? Such riches in reference materials I rarely see. Hmmmm....

By the way, If someone else also wants to build this, I can fill in the details concerning the interior layout.

Tom,

To be honest, you are among the few on here whom I have seen create a diorama or model to such exact detail that it isn't a question of if you MUST, it is a question of WHEN !!!!!!!!

I think it is great that the plans are available for us to duplicate something that is fast becoming just a memory for many.

Edited by mikemodeler

These plans also match one we had in my hometown in SW Iowa. I believe it had two bays though. This needs to be built since such complete and authentic plans are now available and I can think of no one who could do it justice but Tom. I would love to build this but I flat out don't have the room unless I built in in N scale and that's out of the question. LOL

Edited by gasser59

Boy, that is big, Tom. Wonder how close the Buddy L station matches up to it (figuring in the extra bay?)

As one who had the Buddy L station, I will say this: You can use it in 1/25 scale, but I think some dimensions were "compacted" to make it a more manageable size. The bay doors are narrower than any real ones I've encountered, the restroom doors are the same (though in real life, they were not wide). It's a great looking station, I just think they fudged some dimensions so it wouldn't be too big. The differences offended my eye, which led me to sell it some time ago. I'd rather make my own anyway.

Edited by Repstock

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...