Model Cars Magazine Forum

`62 Dodge Lancer

FASTBACK340

Finished the second build Friday night, bought the next build Saturday morning.....

NNL East blessed me with a MINT, un-painted built-up Revell`62 Dodge Lancer that quite literally fell apart after spending about 6 hours in the freezer. We have a new project....and it's a Mopar!

NNLEast13036-vi.jpg

Deciding the rolling stock & color.

Choice #1 considered with a metallic Sand/Beige finish

LancerMockup001-vi.jpg

Choice #2 might be Black on Black....

LancerMockup003-vi.jpg

Choice #3 can be a Gray/Steel color

LancerMockup004-vi.jpg

Powertrain will be a Gen3 Hemi and the ride height will be very low. Discuss amongst yourselves and kick back some ideas. :)

WAIT!!!! By putting a model in the freezer, it causes the Super Glue to release for a Rebuild?!?!?!?!?!

Since that's out of the way, I'm in for Choice #2 & #3. Love both sets of wheels.

I apologize for the freezer statement without explaining. I took it for granted it was common knowledge that if you take an old built up model, place it in a zip-lock freezer bag, and freeze it the glue loosens up. All I had go do was gently twist the tail lights and they popped right off. Sometimes pieces just fall off, hence the zip-lock bag. Same goes for the bumpers. A finger nail under the edge and they slid right off. I was very lucky the glass was glued in lightly too. Freezing the model helps loosen the bond. In my case, the original builder didn't scrape the chrome. No bonding to the plastic at all. I have an almost mint un-built vintage kit for the price of a re-issue. :)

And I have no conscience what so ever about modifying it B)

Edited by FASTBACK340

I should also mention this method applies to old vintage builds assembled with 1960's tube glue. You mentioned super glue, which can be de-bonded depending on material sometimes. Google for specifics, but in this instance mine was probs ly built when it was a new kit and boxed up all these years. Score!!!!!

What wheels are those in #1?

All three wheel choices were purchased from board member Steve Zimmerman. They appear to be modified Revell 32 Ford Torque Thrusts in picture #1.

Now that i think about it, I DO have a 12 cylinder DOHC Hemi I spliced together .... Hmmmm.

Edited by FASTBACK340

John, I'd go with #3 and a nice Gunmetal, that should look wicked with a dropped ride height!

I just finished a Titanium Woody that's a shade lighter with chromed Halibrands. Too close in my opinion. I am thinking the old Sand Beige with wheel choice #1. Or maybe a light Ice Blue with #2 or #3.....

John,

This is pure personal opinion here, so take it as you will. Wheel choice number 2 would look great with a Black body, but would also fit well with a Dark Red metallic of some sort, or an almost-Black Gunmetal (Mineral Gray Metallic from Ford with a tint coat of Black in one layer of clear comes to mind).

Wheel choice number 3 would be sweetness with a Burnt Orange, Deep Sapphire Blue Pearl, Black Pearl, or again a nice dark Red Pearl color. Interior color would be purely subjective based on the exterior color of course.

As to powering it with a modern Hemi; I am assuming you will be using one from the Revell Challenger kit. If so, you can also use the Challenger IRS/IFS set-up. Just be advised that the front frame rails will need some work to get the Challenger subframe to fit in correctly (may even need to narrow the Challenger front K or A-arms to get everything in there).

WAIT!!!! By putting a model in the freezer, it causes the Super Glue to release for a Rebuild?!?!?!?!?!bl

Since that's out of the way, I'm in for Choice #2 & #3. Love both sets of wheels.

It doesn't necessarily work with super-glue, but it has been known to work with plastic cement; sometimes, it helps to have the model slightly damp, and then put it in a Ziplock bag to make sure the parts are contained.

Choice #4: rep-stock in black with a red interior.:)

I wonder....did anyone ever make one of those in resin? I've been keeping an eye open for those Revell '62s for years. I heard a long time ago that Dave Burket was plannng on getting the molds for at the least the Chrysler Newport convertible fixed, but I don't know what became of that project.

Charlie Larkin

I won't add any more color suggestions, you already have plenty. Just want to add that I think that is going to be a very cool model once you get 'er done! I like all the wheel choices you've shown us, can't go wrong with any of them.

OK... one suggestion (can't help myself... :P )... I would stick to a light color, maybe even white (with a red interior). Light because the lines of the car are so quirky and unique, I'd want to show them off. IMO a dark color would tend to minimize the funky body lines and styling quirks... a car that unique needs to show the world its uniqueness! :D

This is cool. i remember at one time i thought those little Mopars were the...least attractive (trying to be nice) of anything to ever come out of Detroit. Over the years I've begun to really like them because they're so entirely unlike anything else. This build of yours is looking really good. I agree with Harry about staying with a lighter color to show off the lines, too.

I agree with the lighter color. That's why I was thinking that old vintage beige metallic Chrysler had in the early 60's with #1, or a gray/ silver for #3. As for #2 the contrasting lighter color is a better choice than black, which indeed would hide all those ungodly curves.

My week has me busy, plenty of time to think about it...... Thanks for the input gang!

John! You didn't go to the Revell booth and see that they are reissuing that Lancer this year? :lol: Just kidding! I have a couple of those ready for their next mission myself. Just be sure to look at some photos of 1:1s and fix the top of the windshield! Whatever else you do is fair game and I do know you have a warped sense of reality!