Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy Truck New Design

Hmm, not sure how I feel about it, I think I am going to have to let the new design digest for a little bit, I will always like the style from the late 80's -90's Chevy trucks

I agree. It almost seems as if they're trying to get some of that old style in there, but they just didn't do enough of it IMO...

What I want to know is when are they going to bring back the standard cab, 8 foot box, bare bones truck? Preferably with 4wd, V8 and an actual MANUAL TRANSMISSION with Granny Gear! Guess I'll just stick with my '55, which is much better looking anyway.

Amen!

What I want to know is when are they going to bring back the standard cab, 8 foot box, bare bones truck? Preferably with 4wd, V8 and an actual MANUAL TRANSMISSION with Granny Gear! Guess I'll just stick with my '55, which is much better looking anyway.

Outside of the transmission part, you still can get the rest of that with the Ram Tradesman pickups! If you need that granny low first, you may need to look at the front drivers with the 6 speed autos, the one in my 200 has a 4.127:1 first gear and isn't even good for 20mph :P

Ahh, but even then the trick would be finding one on the lot. ;) Not sure about your area, but around here, seems all the dealerships stock are extended/crew cabs, almost always with a 5'-6 1/2' bed and loaded with every doo-dad and goo-gaw they offer. Can't even get a standard cab shortbed without special ordering it.

From my understanding the reason why you can't get a manual transmission in pickups anymore is due to emissions requirements. Newer, more stringent requirements are very difficult to meet with manual transmissions as the vehicle's emissions output varies greatly with drivers.

From my understanding the reason why you can't get a manual transmission in pickups anymore is due to emissions requirements. Newer, more stringent requirements are very difficult to meet with manual transmissions as the vehicle's emissions output varies greatly with drivers.

The numbers would be too low for that to even be a factor

Wouldnt that also apply to passenger cars as well, and just not trucks?

The real reason that manuals went to the wayside in full size trucks is that the sales were far too low. Even commercial use customers, who tend to be a cheap lot, opted for automatics, as many folks these days do not know how to drive one. Manual transmission operation isn't even taught in Drivers Ed anymore. It's something I have to put up with every day when a manual trans vehicle comes in, as out of the 9 people that work at the shop I work at (1 manager, 3 on the counter, 4 mechanics, and a stock room/oil change tech), only 2 of us know how to drive manual transmission.

Edited by Longbox55

The real reason that manuals went to the wayside in full size trucks is that the sales were far too low.

Same thing applies to standard cab, longbeds. Great for construction companies, but since almost half of truck owners use them for hauling people, not "stuff", the days of plain jane, bare bones trucks are dead.

You can always swap in a manual trans, too, if you want one badly enough. There's no reason you can't customize the transmission to suit your liking, just like you can change the wheels and tires.

Ahh, but even then the trick would be finding one on the lot. ;) Not sure about your area, but around here, seems all the dealerships stock are extended/crew cabs, almost always with a 5'-6 1/2' bed and loaded with every doo-dad and goo-gaw they offer. Can't even get a standard cab shortbed without special ordering it.

I'd have no problem ordering one the right way, although I'd go 2wd and save the money spent on the 4wd for a mess of sandbags and some good snow tires.

Might want to take a trip to Vassar, Michigan- Cook Chevrolet prides themselves on stocking what they call 'Plain Jane Pickups'. It's weird to me- once you get into the 'rural' areas, most of the trucks you see on the lots are the loaded versions, while dealers in big cities stock more of the strip-o models.

That's what's happening here. While I'm not totally in an "out in the sticks" area, it is a mostly rural farming community. We have 4 Chevrolet/GMC dealers, 2 Ram dealers, 3 Ford dealers, and 1 Toyota dealer withing a 30 minuit drive of my house, none of them stock base model trucks regularly. Last time I saw a base model longbed standard cab was back in '08 at Bryants Chevrolet in Attica Indiana. It was a K2500 HD with the Duramax/Allison combo, towing and snowplow package, AC, stereo, and not much else. I considered it, but at $47000, it was a bit more than what I could afford at the time. Hindsight, I should have seen what kind of deal they could have made me, since it was a leftover '07, and I've known the owner of the dealership since I was about 5 years old.

Oh well, I still have my '55 longbed 1/2 ton, and if I really needed another truck, I have a line on an '88 K2500, as well as a '69 C20 Camper Special.

The pictures make it look as if it's made of LEGO pieces

Well GM trucks are toy like,even if they copy fords oversized grill.

My work waited 10 weeks for a 2011 with the only options being 8 foot box,extended cab,4x4,heavy suspention and a/c.The dealers wont stock a basic work truck because they make money on the up sale packages