Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell/Foose '67 Dodge Charger

VERNON

Hmmm...that could be an interesting build.. build a Foose-style GL '69 Charger...

It's already done! :blink:

kenny_wayne_shepherd_charger1.jpg

Kenny Wayne Shepherds 1969 Dodge Charger "Xtreme Lee"

and I liked it!!!

have even bought the decals to make this version ;)

Sorry... I guess I am distorting the topic :(

Most of Foose's 1:1 cars, including the ones upon which Revell's kits are based, are "pretty much stock everything except tires and wheels" and finishes.

The reason the kits don't match the pictures on the box tops is that those are artist's concept sketches intended to provide rough ideas of what the finished cars will look like. On the other hand, the pics of the built models on the box sides match the 1:1 cars pretty closely and are reflective of what's inside the boxes.

Definitely a smart move on Revell's part, IMO, to include the stock parts in the Charger ...

That's not really true. Usually he tweaks the body (including bumpers and grilles) of each car to make it unique and has a custom interior built for each. Also the suspensions are always modified to handle better and lower the car, of course.

So it sounds like there are some additional items besides just wheels and tires in this kit. I've been hoping that they would include a newer LS type engine and trans in one of these Foose kits, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen.

Has the 94 Impala been released, yet?

It's already done! :blink:

kenny_wayne_shepherd_charger1.jpg

Kenny Wayne Shepherds 1969 Dodge Charger "Xtreme Lee"

and I liked it!!!

have even bought the decals to make this version ;)

Sorry... I guess I am distorting the topic :(

Its cool, but I think the original looks better in some ways, but this one looks cool in some ways too

Edited by martinfan5

Not to sure of the year that the Boyd's cars where designed but Foose was Boyd's design guy years ago. It was Chip Foose that put Boyd on the Map.

Me I like the looks of the cars,And will buy more Foose Boyd or Tom Daniels.To me it don't matter who's name is on the box Just make it cool

It's cool that Revell is giving us a little variety with these cars. I just wish someone would make accurate kits of some of his post Boyd Coddington stuff that was not from Overhaulin'. And I am talking right down to the bone brand new kits. Some of the things I see Foose's name on are getting a little ridiculous. You can go get a Foose badge for your car from Walmart now. Somehow that shiny new set of rims that set a person back a couple thousand just for the Foose name don't look so good next to a beat down and rusted 83 toyota with a Foose badge in the back window. :blink: I'm not paying any disrespect to anyone's vehicle...might be all they can afford. But you guys get the idea here.

Edited by Skydime

It's cool that Revell is giving us a little variety with these cars. I just wish someone would make accurate kits of some of his post Boyd Coddington stuff that was not from Overhaulin'. And I am talking right down to the bone brand new kits. Some of the things I see Foose's name on are getting a little ridiculous. You can go get a Foose badge for your car from Walmart now. Somehow that shiny new set of rims that set a person back a couple thousand just for the Foose name don't look so good next to a beat down and rusted 83 toyota with a Foose badge in the back window. :blink: I'm not paying any disrespect to anyone's vehicle...might be all they can afford. But you guys get the idea here.

Yep you've seen my Toyota LOL joking

While I have no need for these kits (I still have an original issue Charger I haven't touched), it is good to see that Revell seems to be increasing their investment in the line and not turning out into another "Big Goofy Wheels" set of kits. While in my PERSONAL opinion I don't think the shaker hood looks good on this era Charger, at least they tooled it up. Kudos to Revell when they deserve it.

Boyd's 'Vern Luce '33 chopped 3 window Ford' is considered by many old fart hot rodders like me as THE car that put Boyd Coddington on 'the map. He build that trend-setting coupe in 1981, and it was based on a design study by Thom Taylor - a designer of hot rods & customs who's work was seen in "Street Rodder", "Rod & Custom", and "Hot Rod Magazine" back then. That car did more to define the super-smooth/barb-less style of hot rods for the better part of a couple of decades.

Here's more, as told by Thom Taylor:

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/1309_1933_ford_coupe/viewall.html

At the tail end of the above article there's a list of the many talents that were part of Boyd's team over the years; Chip Foose has been arguably the most successful of those in creating his own brand, and as most everything related to design & style, he's been influenced by, and learned his craft from many others, esp from his equally-talented father, Sam Foose. Chip Foose was only 18 yrs old when the Vern Luce coupe was completed (in '81), and he was still learning the trade working with his father, Sam Foose - who was perhaps best known for his chopped '48 Ford coupe w/ the black & white checker board painted firewall. (btw - that would be a cool version to build using Revell's chopped '48 Ford) I met both Chip & Sam at the Goodguys' event in Pleasanton, CA in 1989 when they invited me to display my chopped & channeled / track-nosed '34 roadster alongside Sam's chopped '40 Ford coupe (the car w/ the lengthened doors & slanted B-pillars), and Chip's baby blue w/ red scalloped, chopped '28/'29 Ford Tudor sedan. (that car was definitely old school w/ it's malbox-type 'swamp-cooler' hung outside one of the side windows, etc.- definitely not yet in the style that Chip is now known for)

Chip didn't go to work for Boyd until 1990, and that was only as a part-timer, and 2 yrs later was brought on as a full-time employee. Boyd's signature style was already well-established by then; it was that Chip further refined it, and pushed the boundaries, but basically remained true to what Boyd had started. Earlier in Boyd's career, it was Boyd's close friendship w/ John Buttera that had pointed Boyd in the direction that he was best known for. . .Backing up a bit - perhaps the car that first got Boyd noticed (by the magazines) was his John Buttera-influenced '26 Ford Tudor that had an early version of his later trademark IRS. Boyd was still a mechanist @ Disney Land when he built that in 1976, and was constructing his cars in his home garage.. This article is recommended, and the many photos may inspire some new model builds, too:

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/features/0808sr_boyd_coddinton_lil_john_buttera_tribute/viewall.html

I need to add that it was Marcel Delay and his 2 sons that did a great deal of the basic fabrication of Boyd's custom hot rod bodies, and thus contributed greatly to Boyd's reputation and his signature-style. But, that doesn't diminish the contributions that Chip Foose made, either. The first car that Marcel did for Boyd was done in the early-eighties - as I recall (and correct me if that's not correct). That project was a turning point for Marcel who had been doing almost exclusively exotic fabrications for restorers before he discovered hot rods. My '34 was another of Marcel's earliest efforts - but, I was only able to afford to have him construct the hood tops, sides, and grill shell for my car. Marcel later went on to greater projects - 'Cadzilla', Chezoom, Alumina Coupe, the 'WhattheHaye' - a one-of interpretation of a '36 Delahaye, and many other examples of both his incredible talents & workmanship - and not just for Boyd, either. . .It was Delay that did the rough-in work for Boyd who then pulled the project together after he received the body & it's parts from Delay. Chip was an integral part of the Coddington team, as were many other talents that probably got burned-out working 24/7 for Boyd (as exaggerated on the pseudo-drama American Hot Rod TV series). And, for the record, the way that Boyd was portrayed on that over-the-top TV show was not the Boyd that I remember. Boyd was both a hard-nosed hot rodder & a fair businessman making a decent living - perhaps, one of the first hot rod shops to do that. . .Super Shops - the once huge aftermarket retailer - screwed Boyd big time when they ordered, took delivery of, and then never paid Boyd for a large number of Boyd's wheels. One thing led to another, and Boyd went thru Hell and almost lost everything, until he rebounded (that chapter was portrayed on 'that TV show') until he passed away.

Chip's a terrific car guy in his own right, and is a master of color, stance, and subtle detailing that's not always handled well by other builders. He's also a really decent gentleman, as were/are those who I mentioned in this overly wordy reply. . .Didn't mean to hi-jack this topic, but, it's important to get the facts correct, and esp to not ignore those builders - many who have since passed - who had set the stage for the future of customs & hot rods. It's designers/builders - like Chip Foose - that now carry their torches forward. . .

• 2 weeks later...

I grabbed one of these kits today at Hobby Lobby with a 40 percent coupon (of course), and IMO, it's a good 'un. In addition to the wheels and the shaker scoop/hood, Revell tooled up a BUNCH of other new parts for it. Among them: A gorgeously engraved set of "Mopar Performance" Hemi valve covers. Interestingly, those are the exact valve covers you need if you're building the "tribute" version of the Chi-Town Hustler Charger F/C, but that Revell didn't tool up for that particular kit! Nice to have those available in scale.

Good on Revell, too, for leaving all of the stock parts in the box and the stock markings on the decal sheet.

I am thinking of building mine as a pro touring ride with the Foose wheels and other parts, but with a different paint scheme .... perhaps a traditional Mopar muscle car color (Sublime or Plum Crazy, anyone?) with a blacked-out hood and cowl.

Hey Carl, would you be kind enough to post up some pics of the wheels ?

A gorgeously engraved set of "Mopar Performance" Hemi valve covers. Interestingly, those are the exact valve covers you need if you're building the "tribute" version of the Chi-Town Hustler Charger F/C, but that Revell didn't tool up for that particular kit! Nice to have those available in scale.

Oooh, nice, I need a set of those...