Model Cars Magazine Forum

Real or Model #219 FINISHED!

Real or model?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Real or model?

Excerpt from Ernie Adams' site about this car, his 49-Merc and others... http://www.dwarfcarpromotions.com (Loads a little slow).

Ernie started with photos taken from a full-sized '39 Chevy 2 door sedan. He took pictures of the front, rear, both sides and everything in between. All measurements needed were taken off these pictures.

Ernie looked for a donor car with 12-inch wheels. He found a '72 Toyota in an alleyway and was able to get it for free. By using the Toyotas complete drive train, all parts remained compatible.

Ernie began construction in 1990. He spent two and a half years from start to finish. This car is a solid 1770 lbs. and will cruise at highway speeds with ease. Ernie’s '39 Chevy Dwarf has been on the road for sixteen years and has 54,000 miles on it to date.

Harrry

Looks like you got us all, but I have to say you really pushed the limits on this one. I was very intrigued and read the web site. These are street legal cars and have been driven across multiple states. These cars straddle a fine line between a model and a custom car. Yes, it is scaled down so I suppose that would fit the definition of a model, but they have Toyota running gear. If he had a scaled down flathead with running gear I would probably think it leaned closer to a model. As I said this is getting into a real gray area. Perhaps a separate thread on "what is a model" would be started.