Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Ford Custom

thatjellyfish

hi all, my name is Allen from Australia. I just got started on models last year, my frst completed model was a ford victoria, which drove off the bookcase while driving away from my cat, lol, and my second got destroyed by my cat aswell half way through. So im starting a new, and with more safty precautions from the devils cat!!

Anyways, not much to show besides i gave every thing that needed to be primed a first coat. But i am going to wait till my airbrush kit gets delivered before i paint it with colour. Anyways, cheers.

8539544802_8e7fc245d5_c.jpg
model by AllenLennon, on Flickr
8539544252_194dd2a4b5_b.jpg
model by AllenLennon, on Flickr
Thought to only show the car with the hood temporarilly attached.

Allen you will love this kit, I just finished mine with no problems other than the small delicate parts. The fuel line and steering link are really super delicate. Revell has given us a top notch kit once again. I will give you the link to my build, it may help although I don't know what direction you will go, mine is basic stock. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=68233&hl=

Edited by rmvw guy

Thank you guys, and Ron, i have read yours all the way through, as well as others on this forum, And i should of mentioned this before but the colour scheme for the car body will be two tone with a darkish blue on the bottom and a nice light blue(which i will be mixing myself) for the top, the colour of the top i believe im going to use as the interior. Wel, thats the plan, still awaiting on my airbrush kit to come in to paint everything

Hi all, some progress, i have been working on the engine, chassis and the body lately. The engine is coming along rather dispointingly. Some how, as i was putting the exhaust manifold onto the engine i somehow got glue onto my finger which was holding the engine as i was glueing the manifold on and when i let go a little bit of paint same with me. I am unsure if or how i will fix this, probebly get some paint the same colour and paint it on. Not to mention the fact i somehow mange to loose some very small bits to the engine. Cropping this up to pure excitement about making the model. And learnt for next time. I have painted the other parts of the engine, some parts where it says to paint gold i just painted silver.

The chassis is coming along nicely, so far all i got on it is the exhaust pipes fitted and engine mounts fitted. I have painted and awaiting drying is the rear diff set up and the shaft.

The body is coming along pretty good. Got the first coat of the upper half of the two tone on, besides some paint exceeding where the masking was and some bits of hair or something fallen into it, i am rather pleased. I am going to wait for the paint to dry completely than im going to wet sand it and give it another couple of coats.

And here is the photo of the body as it is now(i havent taken any other photos of the engine or the chassis as of yet but want to complete them first)

8553558082_96de7177a0_c.jpg
first coat of top by AllenLennon, on Flickr

. Hello all, I got the chasis and the engine done. Well, as much as i could, a few small items got lost and one item broke so it isnt going anywhere, chucking it up to a learning expeariance and to pace myself(if i can retain the excitment). As you will see some paint is missing on the engine thats because i somehow got glue on my finger as i was glueing the fan assembly onto it and i noticed after i placed the engine onto the chassis that the fan wasnt comepletly done, learning curve!. But on the bright side it is way better engine than my other two models i did last year, so thats a plus/

8554558526_94e4341568_c.jpg
chassis and engine by AllenLennon, on Flickr
Edited by thatjellyfish

G'day Allen. Looking good mate. Even though I try my best on every build, something inevitably goes wrong, and I chalk it up to experience. As long as you're enjoying your builds and learning from your mistakes, you're on a winner.

Don't be afraid to ask the forum members for tips if you get stuck.

Hi all, an update, and sad to say not really a good one. Firstly, the interior and chasis is finished. Secondly, the body has its two tone but the painters tap has somewhat kind of roughed up the light blue paint, short of stripping the paint and vigerous sanding, i will chuck this up to learning, next time i will get better tape and to take the tap of sooner. Also the engine has its air cleaner on and its finished!

8581781822_9f13d70a6f_c.jpg
ford custom model by AllenLennon, on Flickr

8581782438_23e310bc7e_c.jpg

8580681395_2eb0f6c355_c.jpg
the photo makes it look a littlle bit better than it really is

• 2 weeks later...