Model Cars Magazine Forum

Packard Street Rod

Even now this has turned out to be one of the most enjoyable builds in quite awhile :o . At the very beginning of this project I had decided to stay pretty close to the original colors and the magnificent detail, on this beautiful rendition of the original car by Monogram. It's a beautiful old kit with amazingly crisp molded detail, and the fit and finish is nearly perfect :lol:

I did add a chevy engine, that's mildly warmed over .

The wheels were for me, a street rodder at heart and by nature, were a perfect "Elegant" choice, that's not far removed from the original wires.

I wanted a classic, European, Art Nuvoe look. Almost pristinely stock, but with a bit of "ARTZY MUSCLE" :lol: Like something you'd see at a swank Concord De Elegance, but would turn heads, cause people to whisper, and maybe irratate the purists :lol: .

I put a lot of time in detailing this build. I wanted to do both the the original car and this beautiful kit justice.

I put many hours into detailing the top. From the multiple tapings for out-lining the stitching, to the application of the metal snaps.

Taping the body for painting the body molding, took hours to carefully place the tape, and to lay it down properly.

The car is nearly complete now. It still needs headlight's, door handles, etc., but will probably be finished in a day or two.

How fun is this plastic stuff?? Way COOOOOOOOOOLLL ;):P:blink::D

2008_0707Photobucket10037.jpg

2008_0707Photobucket10038.jpg

2008_0707Photobucket10035.jpg

Edited by Treehugger Dave

Hello there friend! I jus wanted to stop by and say that yer last post and what you wrote shows throughout this entire build. This piece is unbelievably beautiful and hands down the best Ive seen. I would love to see this up close and personal. Keep on wit the keepin on!! You are truly gifted!!

peace

ajulia

I say if you own it build it any ###### way you want.Its only a pastic model of a car.I have this same car and its molded in the same color.I checked your car out to maybe get some ideas off you.I think it looks pretty ###### nice if mine turns out half as nice i'll be happy.Heres a pic of one I found on the net.

After reading this thread, the one thing that sticks in my mind is aren't we all originals? Don't we all build what we want? If any of you build to make others happy (without being rewarded, monetarily or otherwise) then you are not in this for the hobby of it. Besides, who's to say if the original Packard was not built today, with today's tech, trends and opinions, that it would look much different than that??? Aren't those tires state-of-the-art performance, like when the original was built way back when??? While I do see classics as classics and would probably not do a full custom Packard like this, I respect those that take on the challenge and as it was done here, pull it off wonderfully! This is a terrific example of the exception to the rule!

Kudos my friend!

Build to make yourself happy and if you have something negative or derogatory to say, I challenge you to find someone who cares and post it there.

You know what... I got a Bugatti that is begging for some "26 spinners and a 540 crate motor... You know, in trunk flat screen and wicked skull paint job... The whole nine...

Edited by torinobradley

After reading this thread, the one thing that sticks in my mind is aren't we all originals? Don't we all build what we want? If any of you build to make others happy (without being rewarded, monetarily or otherwise) then you are not in this for the hobby of it. Besides, who's to say if the original Packard was not built today, with today's tech, trends and opinions, that it would look much different than that??? Aren't those tires state-of-the-art performance, like when the original was built way back when??? While I do see classics as classics and would probably not do a full custom Packard like this, I respect those that take on the challenge and as it was done here, pull it off wonderfully! This is a terrific example of the exception to the rule!

Kudos my friend!

Build to make yourself happy and if you have something negative or derogatory to say, I challenge you to find someone who cares and post it there.

You know what... I got a Bugatti that is begging for some "26 spinners and a 540 crate motor... You know, in trunk flat screen and wicked skull paint job... The whole nine...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAH :blink::PB):D

GIDDDDY_UUUUP!!! :o:P:lol:;)

Well, here I am getting closer to putting this one to bed.

Can't believe the way it turned out and how much I enjoyed doing this :lol: .

Got most of the undercarriage done. I need to fabricate a drive shaft and do fuel, and brake lines still.

Engine's mostly done. It just needs some final wiring. Photoetched electric fan is in and will get wired too.

Got the front suspension from a '32 ford kit. Used the chrome dropped axle, shocks, tie-rod and wishbones.

I think everything on the body itself is done. Interior is finished too.

I would love to drive something like this. Just think how unusual this would be on the street as a real cruiser ;). At least I think so, but I can be pretty weird, so what do I know :huh::blink:

2008_0710Photobucket10013.jpg

2008_0710Photobucket10014.jpg

2008_0710Photobucket10015.jpg

2008_0710Photobucket10016.jpg

2008_0710Photobucket10017.jpg

2008_0710Photobucket10018.jpg

WOW! Too cool Dave! That's it you've forced me into doing a "classic" of some sort. Thanks for posting the detailed pics on all of your builds too. I won't be able to approach the level of detail and quality of workmanship. I think it will be a "fun" build. After all isn't this what we all do this for. :D

WOW! Too cool Dave! That's it you've forced me into doing a "classic" of some sort. Thanks for posting the detailed pics on all of your builds too. I won't be able to approach the level of detail and quality of workmanship. I think it will be a "fun" build. After all isn't this what we all do this for. :D

Hey '84vanagon :o

Can't wait to see what you choose B) .Will it be the Cord or the Mercedes you mentioned in your other post?

Ya, your right :D . It's always about the fun :P .

I look forward to your project - Dave

Hey '84vanagon B)

Can't wait to see what you choose :lol: .Will it be the Cord or the Mercedes you mentioned in your other post?

Ya, your right :D . It's always about the fun :lol: .

I look forward to your project - Dave

I was originally thinking the Cord with the Jada Cobra wheels, but those things are huge! :blink:

Digging through my stash I found a Matchbox 1/32 Mercedes SSK and Packard Victoria and a 1/48 Renwall Packard that might be good candidates. Plus their odd scales might add to the interest. I also ran across a Lindberg Auburn Boattail. I'm going to have to go through my boxes to see what else I have that I've forgotten! :lol:

I was originally thinking the Cord with the Jada Cobra wheels, but those things are huge! :lol:

Digging through my stash I found a Matchbox 1/32 Mercedes SSK and Packard Victoria and a 1/48 Renwall Packard that might be good candidates. Plus their odd scales might add to the interest. I also ran across a Lindberg Auburn Boattail. I'm going to have to go through my boxes to see what else I have that I've forgotten! :lol:

Dave, I had a 'differing' with your wheels at first...(I'm a hopeless traditionalist) but the rest of the build was 'way above the 'tens'. Then the Packard guy came on, (was it his Boattail you did this to?)

There are extremes to everything.

The top on this car said volumes. Scale snaps! Overall impression was wonderful. Even the wheels.

I was originally thinking the Cord with the Jada Cobra wheels, but those things are huge! :rolleyes:

Digging through my stash I found a Matchbox 1/32 Mercedes SSK and Packard Victoria and a 1/48 Renwall Packard that might be good candidates. Plus their odd scales might add to the interest. I also ran across a Lindberg Auburn Boattail. I'm going to have to go through my boxes to see what else I have that I've forgotten! :mellow:

Lot's of great choice's <_<

Looking forward to see which one you choose :unsure:

This plastic stuff is so much fun - Dave

Well, here I am getting closer to putting this one to bed.

Can't believe the way it turned out and how much I enjoyed doing this :lol: .

Got most of the undercarriage done. I need to fabricate a drive shaft and do fuel, and brake lines still.

Engine's mostly done. It just needs some final wiring. Photoetched electric fan is in and will get wired too.

Got the front suspension from a '32 ford kit. Used the chrome dropped axle, shocks, tie-rod and wishbones.

I think everything on the body itself is done. Interior is finished too.

I would love to drive something like this. Just think how unusual this would be on the street as a real cruiser :lol: . At least I think so, but I can be pretty weird, so what do I know :lol::lol:

2008_0710Photobucket10016.jpg

Yer Packrard is lookin fine Dave! :lol: I've always said it'd be way cool to be able to actully drive these builds as 1:1s. Absolutely love how them big rear meats are hangin outside the fenders. As much as I like the looks of a lot of the other full bodied builds on the forum with the 'BIG' wheels, a lot of 'em just don't look driveable ifn they were 1:1s coz the fronts wouldn't be able to steer. Yeah, it's prastic and fer fun, but.........sorry fer rantin on yer thread, just nice to see a very driveable 'outthebox' build ;)

I was originally thinking the Cord with the Jada Cobra wheels, but those things are huge! :lol:

Hey 84! Love yer project car--go for it! I started my Li'l T, a 1/32 T rod with 1/25 scale Boydington wheels on it (on the workbench--Little T, BIG wheels) and it's got me more enthused than usual

(crazy :lol: ) to actuallly get it done. Hey, how bout a 1/25 with 1/8 scale mags on it? :lol:;):lol:

Yer Packrard is lookin fine Dave! :blink: I've always said it'd be way cool to be able to actully drive these builds as 1:1s. Absolutely love how them big rear meats are hangin outside the fenders. As much as I like the looks of a lot of the other full bodied builds on the forum with the 'BIG' wheels, a lot of 'em just don't look driveable ifn they were 1:1s coz the fronts wouldn't be able to steer. Yeah, it's prastic and fer fun, but.........sorry fer rantin on yer thread, just nice to see a very driveable 'outthebox' build ;)

Hey ######'n thanks :huh:

I'm really enjoying watching your "T" come together :) . Behind all your fun "Jargon" (There's a word you haven't heard in a while)there's a modeler with some "Very Serious Model Building Skills". Waiting to see what you do with colors. As an artist I love color and sometimes a lot of it ;)

I'm still watching your "T" build ;)

Tell George "Hi" for me - Dave

Hi Dave. Beautifully sweet build. I find it greatly ironic that I run across this thread today. Yesterday I was watching a RM classic car auction with my family. My wife and mother were going on and on about the Duesenburgs, Auburns, Cords, and so on. These are all cars that in stock form are works of art, but do nothing for me, which I told them. They thought I was crazy. I went on to tell them that if I could own one, it would have to be customized. No vehicle should be left stock, which is just my opinion. I think you did a fantastic job of exactly what I was telling them. I will be showing them this thread, and thank you for sharing your work of art with us.

Danny

Hi Dave. Beautifully sweet build. I find it greatly ironic that I run across this thread today. Yesterday I was watching a RM classic car auction with my family. My wife and mother were going on and on about the Duesenburgs, Auburns, Cords, and so on. These are all cars that in stock form are works of art, but do nothing for me, which I told them. They thought I was crazy. I went on to tell them that if I could own one, it would have to be customized. No vehicle should be left stock, which is just my opinion. I think you did a fantastic job of exactly what I was telling them. I will be showing them this thread, and thank you for sharing your work of art with us.

Danny

Thanks Danny :)

I understand what you're saying.

I love all kinds of street-rods and also the classics. I've scratch-built some totally stock "Rolling Art" classics, but once in a while, the style of a car just does it to you and you have "play with it" - LOL :lol:

Here's some photo's of a beautiful classic 1932 Chrysler. Not so much the model, but the elegance of the real car. To me one of Chryslers most beautiful :lol: . How would you like to drive a classic like this? - I sure would.

I'll include some pics of a scratch-built stock Duesenberg. In my humble opinion, this is one of the most beautiful vintage classics ever. The stock colors just do it for me.

2008_0609Photobucket10008.jpg

2008_0609Photobucket10009.jpg

2008_0609Photobucket10003.jpg

This is the the stock scratch-built 1935 SJ Airflow Coup' Duesenberg.

The black color of the body is flat, because the real cal car body was cloth covered over a wood frame.

2008_0118ebay20070040.jpg

2008_0118ebay20070038.jpg

Here's a faded pic of the real car. I built the car from this photo.

2008_0708Photobucket10006.jpg