Model Cars Magazine Forum

49 Mercury D Gasser

gbritnell

This is a model that I built to replicate the "D" gasser that my brother-in-law and I raced in the 60's. The kit is the AMT 49 Mercury. I one pieced the front end, built the solid front axle and ladder bars. It has the 302 engine out of the Revell 32 3 window coupe with wiring and Weber carbs. I scratched the headers from plastic round stock. I created the artwork for the decals in Corel draw and had Spare Time Hobbies out of Canada print them for me. The color is Boyd's pearl blue with Tamiya clear blue for the window tinting.

post-2519-1200852276_thumb.jpg

post-2519-1200852301_thumb.jpg

post-2519-1200852315_thumb.jpg

post-2519-1200852342_thumb.jpg

post-2519-1200852357_thumb.jpg

Thanks Harry, it's been quite awhile since we raced in 1962 and I can't say for sure whether we had taken them off or not. I know that the drive motor was removed. For the gas classes at that time the cars had to resemble a street type machine with the allowances that the NHRA mandated. I know when we made the front end into a one piece unit or at least it was all bolted together, hood and fenders, to resemble a one piece unit, the NHRA would stick a magnet on it to make sure that it wasn't fiberglass or else you needed a full rollbar. When I see my brother-in-law I'll have to ask him about the wipers.

gbritnell

Super cool build, definitely different from the other 587 Revell Mercs that have been posted around the web! No slam at all, just that most have gone the traditional custom route, which is fine with me. Always good to see someone thinking outside the (kit) box.

Bob

Thanks guys for the nice comments. I'm an old timer (63) so I grew up in a time when most of the drag racing machines were made from stock cars, except the factory stuff, so cars like this and almost anything that you wanted to hop up from Chevys to Packards was fair game. I still enjoy drag racing but I have to admit I get tired of seeing Camaros or Chevelles in every class.

gbritnell

• 4 weeks later...