Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg 31 Bugatti Victoria

Petetrucker07

Another incarnation of what was to become the Coupe Napoleon:

1929_Bugatti_Type-41_Royale_Coupe_body_b

This chassis went through so many guises before and after the crash, it's impossible to keep track.

However, it still has the prototype engine, with almost 15 litres of displacement.

Edited by Junkman

This is great thread, Nice to have the histories in one place. I'm huge Bugatti nut, so knew the individual histories, but you guys put it very well.

Here's a couple pics I had of other people's builds of the Weinberger.

Carlo, Ettore's father did amazing furniture. Huge $$, but beautiful.

I was fortunate to get ride in 41-141 when Richie Van de Water took it out for the monthly exercise in mid-80's. One of high points in my automotive life, that and the SSJ, SSKL rides same day. Kellner car is so well proportioned, it looks small from a distance, but is enormous as they all are. Still looks delicate and refined.

Here's built up pic for you. Credit to builder and photographer

post-376-0-14832600-1425519700_thumb.jpg

Edited by keyser

People, great informative thread! This is such a beautiful car.

I have a Coupe Napoleon Testors re-boxed version of the Italeri, and I must say, it has the most detailed instructions I have ever seen. Its an actual booklet. BTW, a very well executed model (currently in a state of multi-year limbo as I work out how to make open louvers on the hood).

In 1957, he donated the car to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, where it still resides.

I had no idea that this kit was of the car at Dearborn. I've seen it in person a couple of times and let me tell you, it is the most impressive motor-car I've ever seen up close. Absolutely gorgeous and huge.

If you're ever in the Dearborn area, Henry Ford Museum is a must see. Also, it's attached to Greenfield Village (Henry Fords pet project) which is just loaded with history. I take my family back there every few years, and we never get tired of it.

• 5 weeks later...

Some time ago I visited the Donington Race Circuit's Classic Cars Museum hoping to see the replica Royale that the late Tom Wheatcroft commissioned to have built. The car was not to be seen. An earlier reply to this thread is showing the replica on display in what looks like a museum or private collection. Does any body have any idea if the car is in the UK and actually where it now resides?