Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell "Orange Crate" '32 Ford Sedan Hot Rod

Casey

I too have fond memories of this as a teenager. It was a challenge, as much as the Stone Wood's and Cook Willys in a lot of ways. Fragile as hell, and the seams on the chrome parts did not sit well. I built mine OOTB as it was intended. IIRC, the rear axle in the original kit was a steel axle. Wish I still had it. I'll be picking up another one to recreate it as I have the Willy's.

BTW, the picture of the decal sheet shows two different "looks" for the caricature of the car. I don't remember which was the original......

I do have one of the re-issues with the head lights as part of the hood. Intended to build a Salt Lakes version, but never got too far.

• 7 months later...

1976-ish?

Square headlights or anything on a deuce is just wrong :wacko:

Built the blue one when I was 13 at a campground in Spokane in the mid seventies after we bought it at the white elephant store. Bit of a challenge but enjoyed the build; still have it around somewhere....

mike

• 6 years later...
2 hours ago, Casey said:

Did the original issue of this kit include spark plug wiring and (vinyl?) fuel line?:

sl16007-vi.jpg

It did. I managed to get the 2 clear plastic (vinyl?) fuel lines and the plug leads to stay in place with a bit too much polystyrene cement - and I got the flimsy chrome body supports to do what they were supposed to - but sadly it all began to come apart after a while. I was in my early 'teens but this model / this car above all others is pretty dear to me. I painted the grill flat black inside the orange shell 'cos I hated the transfer (decal) that was supposed to go there. Mine had no transfers in fact. 

On 5/10/2012 at 1:56 AM, CEKPETHO BCE said:

Has anyone ever built one of these in colors other than orange? For some reason I cannot imagine it. I was planing to build mine in metal flake red, but not sure what it would look like.

How can you build an Orange Crate that is not orange?

4 hours ago, DonW said:

That ain't the 'crate, man! ?

But the grille has certainly improved in that version.  Of course, once you tilt the hood forward and realize there is no radiator, the filled grille shell makes much more sense.

It's kind of impressive how many times Revell was able to reissue this kit, considering how unique this car is. Good to see it finally come full circle and be reissued as the original again.

20 hours ago, Casey said:

Did the original issue of this kit include spark plug wiring and (vinyl?) fuel line?:

sl16007-vi.jpg

The crazy part is that the car never went that fast! It was a faulty timing system reading, but, the announcer at the track read it and it became a fact once Revell printed it on the boxes!  The car looked fast, it sounded fast and the crowd was told it was fast, so, it was fast! 

Image may contain: car

4 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

The crazy part is that the car never went that fast! It was a faulty timing system reading, but, the announcer at the track read it and it became a fact once Revell printed it on the boxes!  The car looked fast, it sounded fast and the crowd was told it was fast, so, it was fast! 

I'd be quite happy to have it in my workshop. There's always the next meet. Interesting bit of info tho', thanks.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

But the grille has certainly improved in that version.  Of course, once you tilt the hood forward and realize there is no radiator, the filled grille shell makes much more sense.

It's kind of impressive how many times Revell was able to reissue this kit, considering how unique this car is. Good to see it finally come full circle and be reissued as the original again.

I'm such a purist. I prefer the original fake grille, it's more aerodynamic. Just don't like the graphics. The whole original Orange Crate is a great design and, like you, I'm glad it's back.

17 hours ago, DonW said:

I think you miss the point and so did the people at Revell who were guilty of that!

Nope, didn't miss the point and I am just making a joke. I know Revell butchered up the kit, to the point that when it was re-issued years back they had to include a resin hood to compensate for the destruction of the original. And I believe they ended up re-tooling the body as well. They had to do what they had to do, to keep selling and old tool. 

It was rather disheartening to see it parked at the end of the Swap Meet section a couple of years back at the California Hot Rod Reunion. Seeing such an iconic car parked in the dirt and gravel while some Rat Rod Jalopy was parked in the Grove section was sad indeed. 

And no, I am not a fan of the flames on the resto version

Edited by Daddyfink

On 3/26/2012 at 11:53 AM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Looking forward to building this one. Have a couple of the pre- resin hood. What stopped me was when all of the chrome is cleaned up it needs to be replated. Plan to use alclad for the chrome.

Hope they clean this one up a bit

What is the best orange to use for this?

bobthehobbyguy

Oregon State university orange I have heard.

On 3/31/2020 at 1:31 PM, DonW said:

Sorry Jesse -  I reckon I had a sense of humour failure! Glad there are people like you who care, all is not lost!

No worries. I don't think I have ever fully completed and OC kit, might have to give it a go again soon.