Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 4th Quarter new kit announcements

I think I know what you're thinking, we've already covered it in the 2014 Corvette thread. Two totally different generations. 70 is a unit body, 72+ are body-on-frame. If they use the 70 as a basis for this it would go down as the greatest kit blunder of all time!

Edited by Brett Barrow

I think I know what you're thinking, we've already covered it in the 2014 Corvette thread. Two totally different generations. 70 is a unit body, 72+ are body-on-frame.

Do we really know any true details on the Starsky and Hutch Torino yet? I've seen no photos. Heard no official details. Yet there are people worrying that Revell is going to issue their '70 Torino with a different set of decals. Who and how did this rumor start? We know nothing other than Revell has announced a kit of the Starsky and Hutch Torino. People need to quit jumping to conclusions until Revell shows and tells us more. This might be the must accurate kit in their entire history for all we know right now.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

I find it odd that they have never released (to my knowledge which I admit is limited) a 74-76 torino. But now we are getting a S.&H torino whithout any of the fanfare we got from the 50 oldsmobile, rat roadster, 5.0 mustang and the 70 cuda if they had a new tool (past record) we would of known about it I'd think closest I remember is the revell 70 torino again please correct me if I'm wrong

I find it odd that they have never released (to my knowledge which I admit is limited) a 74-76 torino. But now we are getting a S.&H torino whithout any of the fanfare we got from the 50 oldsmobile, rat roadster, 5.0 mustang and the 70 cuda if they had a new tool (past record) we would of known about it I'd think closest I remember is the revell 70 torino again please correct me if I'm wrong

Until you know more, stop speculating the worst.

Scott

Revell went to quarterly announcements this year instead of one big trade show reveal that covered the whole year like they used to do. There was more fanfare with those others because we had a full year or more to talk about them. Tower leaked the 4qtr list early before Revell's official announcement. There's a new guy in charge at Revell now (note to self - I still haven't asked his name). They're going to do some things differently now.

You're not the only one who's had that thought..

Why. Why do you guys expect the worst? Revell has made some mistakes, true. But, they've also done a lot of things right too. Give them a chance to prove themselves. Quit the fear mongering on this one.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Revell went to quarterly announcements this year instead of one big trade show reveal that covered the whole year like they used to do. There was more fanfare with those others because we had a full year or more to talk about them. Tower leaked the 4qtr list early before Revell's official announcement. There's a new guy in charge at Revell now (note to self - I still haven't asked his name). They're going to do some things differently now.

Adding to that, Tower Hobbies is owned by Hobbico, which of course owns Revell

I wonder if the kits getting listed before the Q4 announcement a mistake, or did they think that no one would find them?

Let's take the new 67 Camaro as an example. Announced in April for 3rd quarter, later that month Revell had a test shot at NNL East. Kit will be out late next month. Roughly 5 months announcement to shelf and it was slated for July for a while which would have put it at 4 months. 4 months from now is October, which is what Tower's showing (they're almost always wrong, mind you, but it could happen) for the Starsky Torino.

Let's take the new 67 Camaro as an example. Announced in April for 3rd quarter, later that month Revell had a test shot at NNL East. Kit will be out late next month. Roughly 5 months announcement to shelf and it was slated for July for a while which would have put it at 4 months. 4 months from now is October.

Actually, October is slightly over 2 months away since this is late July. But October in Revell-speak means late October for the preferred shops, early November elsewhere, so call it 3 months minimum...

Edited by Rob Hall

Adding to that, Tower Hobbies is owned by Hobbico, which of course owns Revell

I wonder if the kits getting listed before the Q4 announcement a mistake, or did they think that no one would find them?

That's why I put in the "great internal communication" dig in the OP.

Isn't the first time Tower's done this. Bet there's a Revell Facebook within a few days.

Actually, October is slightly over 2 months away since this is late July. But October in Revell-speak means late October for the preferred shops, early November elsewhere, so call it 3 months minimum...

Yeah, I'm also including the announcement month itself in my math. "Announced in April, scheduled for July", same timeframe as "announced in July, scheduled for October".

Why. Why do you guys expect the worst? Revell has made some mistakes, true. But, they've also done a lot of things right too. Give them a chance to prove themselves. Quit the fear mongering on this one.

Scott

please do not mis-understand me I

love the current revell kits like the 50 olds and 70 cuda all I am saying is this feels different I honestly hope I am wrong I haven't bought the mustang yet but I do not mind the "so called"short roof I canot comment on it since I have not seen it

Edited by mnwildpunk

I'm excited to hear about the Ford Police....But at the price point, I don't think I'll be as excited when it's released lol. The Matt and Debbie tbird was an awsome kit. Hopefully, the Lincoln that shared many parts, will also be reissued.

Looks like they also announced undecorated versions of the Zl1 Camaro and Challenger,

Looks like for the first time in a long time Revell has dropped the price of kits, I only paid $13 for the 2015 mustang snap kit. And most of the new announcements have lower price points

Just so we're all on the same Torino page here:

1970, being reissued:

70Torinomain-vi.jpg

1974-76 Starsky and Hutch Torino:

1974_ford_torinopic41070-vi.jpg

And just to confuse things even further, the 1972 "Clint Eastwood" Gran Torino, which is mechanically similar to the 74 and, IMHO, would make an awesome follow up... Now get off my lawn!!!

gran-torino.jpg?w=500&h=211