Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '70 Mustang Mach I

larrygre

That would be a MAJOR modification to the body mold Bill! However, being the master craftsman you are... that would be a simple fix for you to accomplish! :rolleyes:

Sounds like a great kit there Larry, thanks for the information! (Pictures would be nice tho....)

Picked one up this afternoon...seems pretty nice..lots of parts...two interior buckets (Mach 1 vs. Boss 302 trim), two sets of seats, two hoods, two tail panels, a separate chrome tree for the Mach 1 (side trim, wheels, etc), two engines. Decals w/ the Mach 1 and Boss graphics (Boss graphics in white and black, Mach 1 in black only) and wood trim for the dash are provided... the new parts look great at first glance..

I was pleased to see this kit arrive, and very excited to hear that it has a 351 Cleveland and non-shaker scoop, but very disappointed to learn that the otherwise stock Cleveland has after market aluminum valve covers as it's only option. I so want a set of Cleveland factory steel valve covers with the "Powered by Ford" stamping. Oh well.

It's good to see Revell give us everything needed to build the Mach 1 or the Boss 302 (including the Cross Boss intake and carb). Mix and matching parts will also creat a regular Mustang sportsroof from this kit. Now if they would just throw in the Boss 429 parts, we'd have a complete 70 Mustang kit.

Nice work, Revell!! (now about those valve covers...)

I was pleased to see this kit arrive, and very excited to hear that it has a 351 Cleveland and non-shaker scoop, but very disappointed to learn that the otherwise stock Cleveland has after market aluminum valve covers as it's only option. I so want a set of Cleveland factory steel valve covers with the "Powered by Ford" stamping. Oh well.

It's good to see Revell give us everything needed to build the Mach 1 or the Boss 302 (including the Cross Boss intake and carb). Mix and matching parts will also creat a regular Mustang sportsroof from this kit. Now if they would just throw in the Boss 429 parts, we'd have a complete 70 Mustang kit.

Nice work, Revell!! (now about those valve covers...)

Maybe the aftermarket will do a set of the stock valvecovers...I know SMBC has a complete resin 351C, don't know if they offer the valve covers separately.

So Larry, had a chance to dig on what they did with the wheels and tires yet?

The new simulated alloy 5-bolts are real clean, and the tires, which started life in the Pro Modeler '69 Charger, are certainly in better shape than the old Monogram GT Radials that mount on the Magnum 500's.

Problem is, the tires are 1/25; even scaled up to 1/24, they'd be a bit small for this car. And of course, each wheel option has its specific tire, so swapping in the other tires is not an option.

I like the crispness of the Polyglas tires in AMT's stock '71 Charger, and they certainly seem more appropriately sized in the wheel wells of this Mustang. I'm guessing Revell did this because the argent wheels were 14's, but at this point, I'm wondering if it might have been better for them to fudge the simulated alloys up to a 15" diameter, clean up the GT Radials a bit, and leave it at that...

Can't complain about all the other goodies, though!

So Larry, had a chance to dig on what they did with the wheels and tires yet?

The new simulated alloy 5-bolts are real clean, and the tires, which started life in the Pro Modeler '69 Charger, are certainly in better shape than the old Monogram GT Radials that mount on the Magnum 500's.

Problem is, the tires are 1/25; even scaled up to 1/24, they'd be a bit small for this car. And of course, each wheel option has its specific tire, so swapping in the other tires is not an option.

I like the crispness of the Polyglas tires in AMT's stock '71 Charger, and they certainly seem more appropriately sized in the wheel wells of this Mustang. I'm guessing Revell did this because the argent wheels were 14's, but at this point, I'm wondering if it might have been better for them to fudge the simulated alloys up to a 15" diameter, clean up the GT Radials a bit, and leave it at that...

Can't complain about all the other goodies, though!

One thing I wondered about those 'simulated alloy' wheels--are they hubcaps? I've never really looked closely at them in 1:1... I'll probably build one with these wheels, and another with something different...

THANK YOU, Rob!

No wonder I couldn't find these under a search for 1970 Mustang wheels.

And the set I found on Ebay are supposed to mount on 15's.

So now I'm really wondering why Revell did 'em the way they did...

I guess they are hubcaps, then.. :D

I know that the wheels on my 1:1 '69 Sportsroof are 14's (steel slotted wheels w/ aluminum trim rings and center caps).

Besides the Magnum 500s and the other wheels in the kit, in 1:1 there was also another '70 Mach 1 wheel style that has center caps and trim rings similar to the '69, but on a different slotted steel wheel (kind of like the wheels in the MPC '70 & '71 Cyclone kits).

A 4th wheel possibility are the trim rings and large center caps design more commonly associated w/ the '71-73 Mustang, but apparently also used in '70...

Edited by Rob Hall

Thanks, Rob. That's probably how I'll build mine. I like the Magnums better than the simulated alloys, anyway.

I did think the wheels/tires on the box art model looked a little puny!

BTW, another excellent non-stock wheel option would be the Cragars from the '37 Ford Coupe kit.

Good idea about the Cragars... One variation I want to do is a plain Sportsroof w/ the flat hood, and those wheels would work nicely...I was trying to think of some good 1:24th 1970s style aftermarket wheels..

Kool idea! Gotta check them Cragars out. And yeah, a plain-jane sportsroof is MANDATORY for at least one build of this kit.

I was kinda hoping for a worthy change-up from the Magnums, myself - but hell, since they're hubcaps anyway, maybe I'll hog out the middle of the Magnums, or some other Monogram 15" wheel, and actually use these new wheels as "hubcaps"...

:ph34r:

Maybe the aftermarket will do a set of the stock valvecovers...I know SMBC has a complete resin 351C, don't know if they offer the valve covers separately.

It's true, SMBC does offer a resin Cleveland, but unfortunately, they omitted the lettering on the valve covers.

It seems like a minor issue, but I've been waiting for a decent Cleveland for a long time. It is my favorite of the Ford V-8s. I have several projects that could use a good Cleveland, including a replica of my 1:1 69 Mach 1. No matter how modified the engine, I think Clevelands look down right mean in Ford blue with the factory lettered steel valve covers. Perhaps the after market will respond, but I imagine these would be difficult to master. I've considered it myself, but not sure how I would go about duplicating the lettering.

Of well, I am happy to have a decent Cleveland just the same.

• 1 month later...

‘70 Ford Mustang Mach1

Revell Kit #4203

1 2/4 Scale

Modified Reissue

134 Pieces plus Decals

The new Revell-Monogram Company has done it again. This company seems to want to cater to us “Baby Boomers†with either reissues, or new tools of significant automotive subjects that would normally appeal to modelers in this demographic. Even though I am not officially a “Ford Guyâ€, I am impressed that this company saw fit to reissue their ‘70 Mustang Sportsroof kit, this time with parts newly tooled to build an accurate ‘70 Mach 1, which was probably the best selling version of this car. I am also impressed by the way the manufacturer accomplished this, by adding extra parts to their ‘70 Boss 302 kit, and including the “newly tooled†parts in the same box, so the builder could choose which version they would build. A ‘70 Mach 1 has not been available in kit form from a major manufacturer in the American market since AMT marketed the annual kit for the 1970 model year. I took a hard look at my AMT ‘70 Mustang Mach 1 kit, and the new Revell kit is superior in every way. In comparison, the old AMT tool looks “toy-like†in comparison to the Revell tool. From the proportions of the body, to the interior, to the engine, to the wheels and tires, it would take a ton of scratch-building and body work to make the old AMT kit look half as acceptable as this new kit from Revell. I tried to find fault with this one, and while it is not “perfectâ€, it is damned good. According to the directions, the kit has enough parts to build either a Replica Stock Mach 1, a Replica Stock Boss 302, or a Custom Boss 302. I can take this a little further, in that a “Standard “ ‘70 Mustang Sportsroof can also be done, by mixing and matching the appropriate kit parts.

There are two separate engine assemblies in this kit, a 351 “Cleveland†4-Barrel V8, and a Boss 302 V8, with either a 4-barrel carburator, or the rare Autolite 4100 in-line carburator with it’s attendant parts. These engines are excellent examples of each, needing only proper paint, aftermarket products, and building skill to do a contest quality example. The 351 Cleveland engine cannot be built as a Factory Stock engine, as a set of “Ford Motorsport†Aluminum valve covers are included in the kit, whereas the factory issued this engine with a set of “Powered by Ford†stamped steel valve covers. Maybe the aftermarket can come through for us for this part.

The chassis is a simple affair, with a well engraved front suspension moulded in, a separate dual exhaust system, staggered rear shock absorbers and a separate rear axle/leaf spring system. Proper detail painting and aftermarket products will make this one stand out. If the modeler wanted poseable steering, a lot of scratch-building will be required as the front suspension is moulded as a single unit.

There are two basic interior assemblies, one being correct, and the second not correct, but workable. The first version is the “Mach 1" interior, which is correct for this car. There are separate door panels, which represents the “Mach 1" and the “Decor Group†interior, with the proper upholstery pattern and the panel for the wood grained insert, which is represented by a decal. The second interior tub has the “Decor Group†interior front and rear seats, with the “Standard†door panels, which is not a correct combination. A “Decor Group†interior could be accomplished by swapping out either the door panels from the “Mach 1" interior to the “Boss 302 tub, or the whole rear seat area by swapping the “Decor Group†rear seat and interior tub to the “Mach 1" front tub. Both versions use the same dashboard, which is well engraved, with decals representing the woodgrain and the gages, as well as the Hurst 4-speed shifter with “T†handle, and the “Rim Blow†steering wheel. The two-piece front bucket seats for both versions are well proportioned, and with the proper upholstery pattern engraved in it for the version as intended. Each interior tub had the center console and rear seat moulded into the floor. The pedals are also moulded into the interior floor, which in my opinion detracts from an otherwise fine interior tub. The bottom side of the interior tub is engraved like the chassis of the real car. Nice touch.

Each version has its own radiator unit, the Boss 302 Version adding a separate oil cooler. The rear view mirror mounts into the glass unit which mounts into the body. The head lamp and tail lamp lenses are clear. The outboard mounted front shocks mount into the front fender wells, after the area is painted. The export brace is also included, and is to be attached to the shock towers. There is also a separate battery in the underhood area, which the has the firewall and its components moulded to it. A very simplistic approach, which needs a little work and detail painting to be credible.

There are two rear tail treatments for this kit. The first is the “Mach 1" treatment, which has a patterned center insert, which is to be painted black, and the “Boss 302"/ “Standard†treatment, which is to be left body color. The tail lamps are moulded clear, so they must be tinted red, before they are mounted in the tail light bezels on the rear bumper, which should have flat black flowed into the recess in the bezels on both sides. Each version has its specific gas cap, the one for the “Boss 302/Standard†should have a black wash added for clarity. Separate chrome back-up lights, which need to be detailed, are also furnished. On the face of the rear deck lid, there are M-U-S-T-A-N-G letters engraved onto it. These letters should be removed, and replaced with the proper decal if the Mach 1 is the version being built. A separate rear spoiler, and optional well engraved rear window louvers are included.

There is a front body panel, where the grille mounts. There are two front grille/headlamp units. The “Mach 1" unit with its fog lamps and specific grill treatment is included, as well as the “Boss 302"/ “Standard†unit. Do your research and paint the unit properly for clarity. A separate front license plate, and front spoiler is also included for this assembly, which must be carefully mounted to the front of the body before painting and mounting the appropriate grille and spoiler.

There are two sets of wheels and tires included. The first is a set of “Sport Wheel Covers†mounted on black, no-name F70-14 ‘70 series bias ply tires, which are new to this kit, and are meant to be used with the “Mach 1", and could work with the standard version. White letters or a “Pin White-wall†could be added to the tires for added clarity. The second is a set of 15" x 7" “Magnum 500 wheels†mounted on black, no-name ‘60 series radial ply tires, which are meant to be used with the “Boss 302" version. They were often seen on the “Mach 1" version also. A set of white letter decals would dress these tires up nicely. Both sets of wheels need the appropriate detail painting for accuracy. Curiously, there is no brake detail on the wheel backs. The tire manufacturers should allow the model kit makers to put their brands on model tires at no cost. It’s free advertisement, and the kit tires look too toy-like without them.

Two separate hoods are included. The first is a hood with a “non functional†scoop on it meant for the Mach 1. There is an opening in this hood , which should be filled in with a piece of sheet plastic underneath after the scoop is installed. The stripe decal should be installed and mounted on the hood before the scoop, which should be painted flat black by the way, is installed.. Twist type hood pins are also included for this hood. The second hood is a flat hood, which is meant to be used with the “Boss 302" has it’s own decals unique to that model. For this hood, there is a custom hood scoop, which is to be meant to used with the Autolite 4100 inline carburator system, after the appropriate hole is cut out. A “Standard†Mustang could use either hood, without striping of course. There is a moulding engraved on the front edge of the hood, which should be chromed.

The body of this kit, which by the way, is the best rendition of a ‘70 Mustang “Sports Roof†in scale, is not perfect. I find that the rear quarter windows are cut a little short, and look triangular. The real car has a flat area of about 3 ½ inches across the top, and this is not represented on this kit. Curiously, the annual AMT kit had rear quarter windows that were too wide, and the original MPC kit didn’t have pillar posts. It’s up to the modeler to deal with this issue, as most will just leave it alone. Dual sport mirrors with separate mirror faces are included. Curiously, the body lines depicting the fender to cowl panel separation is not there. For the “Mach 1", the lower ribbed mouldings are represented by separate chrome parts, which attach to the lower door panels. The recesses should be painted with a deep flat charcoal, with only the fins, lettering, and the upper edge moulding left chrome. Each version has the appropriate stripes and emblems rendered as decals.

All in all, I really like this kit, and plan to buy a few more for various versions of the Mustang Sportsroof, one being a “R†Code sleeper with a 428 Cobra Jet, which can be sourced from the Revell ‘69 Shelby GT 500, or the ‘69 Mustang Mach 1 kit. If I were the kit planner, I would have included a shaker scoop, hood, and 428 Cobra Jet from the Revell ‘69 Mach 1, along with the appropriate decals. Keith Marks does a comprehensive decal set for the Mach1and the Boss 302 in Black and White, as well as the rare regional “ Twister Specialâ€. Now if we can get some decent photo-etch for this kit. Highly recommended.

Ron Hamilton

great review Ron..

my opinion is that while Revell did not hit a home run with the mach 1 update of this kit, they should proud to be standing on 3rd after hitting a triple.

a home run would be the afore-mentioned shaker scoop and stock valve covers being included.

I picked up a couple already for myself, and need one or two more...

Edited by LVZ2881

Can someone post pics of the Boss 302 valve covers as if they have the Power By Ford on them they would work on the Cleveland as the cover would interchange. Also maybe a little undersize but MPC Bronco kits had 351M/400 engines and

although the PBF isn't there they are the correct shape.