Model Cars Magazine Forum

Real or Model #166

Real or model?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Real or model?

Harry for this one I have to ask the definition of a model. I suspect that this is a display version of the car. They are not operational race cars and are taken to events for display only. They do not have 90% of the stuff that would make the car work so in a sense they are 1:1 models. Often they are windtunnel models. So, my question. If that were true, would that be a model or real for this forum?

Pete

Logically, regardless of modifications, if it's a 1:1 I would have to call it real.

Harry for this one I have to ask the definition of a model. I suspect that this is a display version of the car. They are not operational race cars and are taken to events for display only. They do not have 90% of the stuff that would make the car work so in a sense they are 1:1 models. Often they are windtunnel models. So, my question. If that were true, would that be a model or real for this forum?

Pete

Final vote: 14 REAL, 46 MODEL.

It's REAL! Here's the link:

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/oIod_XY8uro/Ferrari+Launch+2008+Season+F1+Car/9jOjz5PVqT8

If anyone can prove that this is a full-scale "model," show us the proof. :lol:

Model or not, THAT was a truely lousey pic. Throw us a BETTER bone next time, PLEEEEEZE!:( :( :( :(

And thats why I google....Harry can fool us with images that are poor.....I will find the image....you can see the difference in these two pictures..same source.

The poor quality is a trick to make you think model.

This one was quite easy....too many Dzus fasteners on this car........

Final vote: 14 REAL, 46 MODEL.

It's REAL! Here's the link:

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/oIod_XY8uro/Ferrari+Launch+2008+Season+F1+Car/9jOjz5PVqT8

If anyone can prove that this is a full-scale "model," show us the proof. :(

Harry - It is a presentation car, so by your definition it is real. It is made of real Ferrari parts and it looks like the real deal but as a presentation car only Ferrari knows if it is a operational 2008 race car. I have seen a number of Fomula 1 unvailings and they almost never fire the car up or drive it on or off the stage so we will never know its status. So for future posting presentation=real. Your game, your rules. :(

Edited by Pete J.

Darn you Harry! LOL just kidding

But seriously, what's up with the rims???

For several years F1 cars had what amounted to wheel covers. They were mounted on bearings and bottom weighted to hold their position. They all had some kind of air intake or exhaust to help cool the brakes. Since band by the FIA.

HE HE HE.................ENJOY!!:D:P

ferrari_hat.jpg

Thanks for supplying the hat, I was hoping I'd be right because I didn't have a Ferrari hat to eat!! :o:huh:

I printed the picture of the hat and ate that, so I ate my Ferrari hat. I did, really I swear I did!!! :blink::blink::lol:B):P

Holy slippery slope, Batman. When they do F1 PR shots, or the "presentation" press releases, the line between "model" and "real" is blurry. Often the cars are a spare of last year's "real" race car dummied up to look like the new one, or a prototype/test car that isn't in driveable condition anymore. But only a handful of people know for sure, since sometimes the cars shown are real-deal racers.

Mark, you bring up a very valid point, the show cars NASCAR teams use for promotions at your local car dealer or supermarket are just like you said, an older car "modeled" after the current car. I've had the honor to speak with some of the show car drivers of a few NASCAR teams, and have asked about the cars, and that is always the answer. They take a older chassis that is either outdated or not raceworthy, take an older engine and really "make a model" of the new car.

The slippery slope in this case, most of these "model" showcars might be "reissues" of older cars for new versions, but most all of them I've seen, the driver of the show car hauler is usually on his own, and drives the car into the trailer! They may be models made from older cars to represent newer cars, but when that "old" engine fires up, there's a REAL shake in the ground!!!!

The only big difference is the technology gap...NASCAR glamour cars are pretty easy to keep running. All they need is a crate motor with a choppy cam.

Yeah, you are right, I was looking at the pics in the link Harry posted, and I think that steering wheel alone shows the tech gap! :lol: