Model Cars Magazine Forum

Possible fuel pump failure?

Austin T

My 1999 Chevy S-10 (2.2L 5spd) has started showing (in my opinion) signs of fuel pump failure. After I get off of the interstate and sit at the light on the off ramp for a minute or two my truck will idle just fine,but whenever I start to release the clutch and apply the gas it's like I get no response from the accelerator and I have to pump the gas to get a response. This has happened twice now and I need some advice on what to do. I doubt it's the ignition system since the truck runs fine at all other times (It has only done this twice and once it's happened it doesn't occur again until I've spent some time above 70 mph and come to a complete stop for a minute or two) and the check engine light does not come on. I just need someone who is more mechanically inclined then myself to let me know if I'm on the right path since I'm either going to have to get a $260 fuel pump OR (more likely) an ACDelco fuel pump rebuild kit. Thanks in advance.

It does possibly sound like the pump is weak, but usually they won't idle very well and will be hard to start if the pump is going out. You'll want to do a fuel pressure test before you condemn the pump. It could possibly be the Throttle Position Sensor not telling the ECM that you're trying to accelerate. If it is the pump, don't bother with a rebuild or the overpriced ACDelco pump. Go to Autozone, Advance, or O'Reilly and get an Airtek pump. They're about 1/2 the price and much better quality. I've put several in, never had one fail.

How long has it been since you had the fuel filter changed? I have had a few almost totally plugged. Changed the filter and it was like a brand new truck. In my experience, electric fuel pumps usually either work or they don't. There isn't really an in between.

It does possibly sound like the pump is weak, but usually they won't idle very well and will be hard to start if the pump is going out. You'll want to do a fuel pressure test before you condemn the pump. It could possibly be the Throttle Position Sensor not telling the ECM that you're trying to accelerate. If it is the pump, don't bother with a rebuild or the overpriced ACDelco pump. Go to Autozone, Advance, or O'Reilly and get an Airtek pump. They're about 1/2 the price and much better quality. I've put several in, never had one fail.

Do not get an Airtex pump, instead get a Spectra. Same price and better quality.

Good news,I think the fuel filter fixed it! She's been running great the last few days and has not shown any signs of fuel pump failure. Bad news, on my way home from work last night I got rear ended. <_< After the reports were filled out and I went home i figured I would just need a new rear bumper and new bumper mounts but upon closer inspection the frame is damaged. :angry: Hopefully it doesn't get written off as totaled and given a salvage title, if that happens I may take what the womans insurance gives me for the truck and sell the truck to get something else.

Edited by Austin T

Honestly, even if it just needed a bumper, it's probably still a total due to age. I'd probably see what it would cost to straighten out the frame, you could probably get a bumper and the mounts for a decent price. Happy to hear the new filter worked though, was it on the pump's pickup or an external?

Well I'm not super worried about the frame,I'm just mainly worried about the other drivers insurance completely writing off my truck as totaled and giving me a salvage title which would absolutely kill the value of it. If that does happen I may try and sell my truck and upgrade to a Miata,I've seen a lot of decent ones in the 3000 range.

Well I'm not super worried about the frame,I'm just mainly worried about the other drivers insurance completely writing off my truck as totaled and giving me a salvage title which would absolutely kill the value of it. If that does happen I may try and sell my truck and upgrade to a Miata,I've seen a lot of decent ones in the 3000 range.

OK...you DON'T have to let the other insurance company "total" your truck. Tell them YOU WANT IT REPAIRED.

YOU WANT THE MAXIMUM THEY'LL GIVE YOU TO REPAIR IT WITHOUT TOTALLING (this is if it's otherwise a good vehicle that you know well. Insurance RARELY pays enough for an old "total" to replace it with something as good. You usually end up with a collection of other problems instead..

OK...you DON'T have to let the other insurance company "total" your truck. Tell them YOU WANT IT REPAIRED.

YOU WANT THE MAXIMUM THEY'LL GIVE YOU TO REPAIR IT WITHOUT TOTALLING (this is if it's otherwise a good vehicle that you know well. Insurance RARELY pays enough for an old "total" to replace it with something as good. You usually end up with a collection of other problems instead..

I've been doing a little research and going that route is something I'm going to counter with if the agent tries to total it. I've also thought about telling them to replace it but then I'd have to re-familiarize myself with the condition of a "new" truck and figure out all it's little quirks. Kinda aggravating,while my little s-10 hasn't been the funnest vehicle ever it sure is reliable and I know it is mechanically sound. Pre-accident I would have no concerns for a 500 mile trip,that peace of mind is something I really enjoyed about my truck.

Everything Bill said.

I don't know about Tennessee, but a total here doesn't always mean a salvage title automatically, especially if the insurance comapny doesn't take the truck. Where you weren't at fault, they probably won't take the truck.

Even if it's salvage-branded, you can usually get it removed with an inspection by a qualified mechanic, or police. In Massachusetts, it requires an inspection by the Massachusetts State Police, and runs about $100. Considering it can save most, if not all, of the value of the truck, it's money well-spent if the inspection passes.

As long as the frame isn't bent, it probably won't get "totaled," but they will probably make you a cash offer. Take it, get a bumper, and get it installed and painted.

Charlie Larkin

Good news. I'm not going to question them as to why I'm getting so much but I'm getting $500 more than the truck is worth (The KBB value came out around $2,100) and they aren't touching the title. I think I'll head on over to pick-n-pull next weekend and get a new bumper and just put the rest in the bank.

When my Jaguar got hit, the offender's insurance company totaled the car (one fender and bumper of damage) and offered me a small percentage of the car's value. Take it or leave it, and they wanted the car. So I told them to take a hike. That was during a tough time in my life when I couldn't take on another project, so I lost out. Otherwise I would've had to take them to court.

Today, insurance companies are in the business of collecting up and selling damaged cars as a profit center. That's why you see truck loads of cars with minor damage on them. All from people swindled out of their cars.