Model Cars Magazine Forum

1976 Chevrolet Caprice

LongRoofNut

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I have always liked the '71 to '76 "big" Caprice/Impala line up. Sure were commanding cars on the road. I have the Modelhaus '73 Kingswood that I have had for a few years but still have not built that one and a '73 promo that needs a nice resto. I have another '73 Kingswood on order to do a '74 front clip conversion.

Helix: Yes that is a London Taxi. I built it when I was 13-14 years old. One of very few I have left from when I was a kid. Somehow by what grace, the black came out darn near perfect. So this time around I just did a gentle clean up and adjusted a few things.

CrazyGirl: The interiour dye is by Dupli Color for 1:1 cars. It is ment for vinyl and fabric. However I used the black dye on my real '76 Monte Carlo, it makes the carpet stiff but works great on the models. You can find this stuff at Advance, Auto Zone, Pep Boys or just about any well stocked auto parts store. Just mist on a few light coats.

Ron: I looked at some of my materal I had collected and saw some pictures with and without the trim. I don't know if it was bad editing, a model change or what. I see the '73 promo has the raised area for the stainless steel trim but '74, '75 and the '76 did not. By the way Ron, your work is inspiring.

Charlie: Yes I am back! It has been a long time! My computer took a poop, lost everything and I figured in time I would get around to coming back. Once you get into this hobby, it will always follow you and bring you right back in.

Jonny,

When MPC re-did the Chevy Caprice body after '73, they made a mistake by not adding the raised area on the windshield pillars. One of the projects I have to do in the future, is my Mom's '74 Impala "Spirit of America" .

I bought this "builder" years ago,

2008_09051960Corvair20001.jpg

and I am thinking that I am going to go one of four ways with it:

1) Restore it to a '72 Impala Custom Coupe (Not likely as I have another one to re-do in much better shape)

2) Turn it into a '72 Impala Convertible (likely)

3) Turn it into a '72 Caprice Hardtop (most likely)

53217482_pr.jpg

4) Turn it into a '74 Impala "Spirit of America"(Very Likely)

1974-impala-1.jpg

The '72 "builder" I have is actually closer than the '74 Caprice builder I have to do the conversion.

190.jpg

Your build is one of the absolute best examples of this kit I have seen in scale. Period.

Thank you guys! I was watching The Rockford Files and James Garner was being tailed by a '74 Caprice in silver and black. That body style looks so proper in silver!

Ron: I have NEVER seen a Spirt Of America done in scale form. It is on my list of many cars I would like to do myself. On the B-body form I am on, someone had a bllue one of these. I guess the blue ones are more rare than the white. And the wheels look like they are for the Suburbans and Blazers, could be taken from Monograms pick up truck kits. I'm jealous you have a '72 Impala, LOL! I have been looking for a '71 and a '72 since I was a teenager. Always a day late or a dollar short!

One of my next projects is a '74 Kingswood. I have an untouched '74 kit with a roof that is warped and the pillar on one side is mangled to the point of no return. This is the kit I took the interior tub out from for my '76 (graving was better on the side panels, wrong style for the year but better to work with). So I have on the way a '73 Kingswood from The Modelhaus and I want to change the front clips over and somehow make the 5mph rear bumper. This will be one of the biggest projects I have taken on, let alone most expensive.

Thank you guys! I was watching The Rockford Files and James Garner was being tailed by a '74 Caprice in silver and black. That body style looks so proper in silver!

Ron: I have NEVER seen a Spirt Of America done in scale form. It is on my list of many cars I would like to do myself. On the B-body form I am on, someone had a bllue one of these. I guess the blue ones are more rare than the white. And the wheels look like they are for the Suburbans and Blazers, could be taken from Monograms pick up truck kits. I'm jealous you have a '72 Impala, LOL! I have been looking for a '71 and a '72 since I was a teenager. Always a day late or a dollar short!

One of my next projects is a '74 Kingswood. I have an untouched '74 kit with a roof that is warped and the pillar on one side is mangled to the point of no return. This is the kit I took the interior tub out from for my '76 (graving was better on the side panels, wrong style for the year but better to work with). So I have on the way a '73 Kingswood from The Modelhaus and I want to change the front clips over and somehow make the 5mph rear bumper. This will be one of the biggest projects I have taken on, let alone most expensive.

I like the idea of the '74 Kingswood Estate.

On Memorial Day, 1974, Mom made the decision to replace her '71 Duster (Basic 6 cylinder car in Dark Sherwood Green). We rode around to the different dealers in the area, which at first she was going to get another Plymouth. The salesman tried to sell her a Valiant sedan (well equipped 6 cyl), but we came to the conclusion that if she bought that one, she might as well hold onto the Duster a little longer. We left the Chrysler dealer, and headed to a Chevy dealer, where se had the intention to look at a Nova Sedan (V8). When we walked into the dealership, on the showroom floor was a Spirit of America Impala in White, trimmed in Blue. She walked over to the car and jumped in, giddy like a little child. We then looked at the Nova, and proceeded to make a deal on it.During the conversation, I asked the salesman "How much is the net dollar difference between this Nova, and the Impala in the corner?" When the salesman told her the difference, well to make a long story short, we rode home in the White "Spirit of America" Impala. In my stuff, I still have one of the original license plates from the car. Mom's 80th birthday is next June, and she would be estatic to get such a gift, and I think I could do such a build.

Here is the '71 I restored from a Terrible Glue-bomb.

2008_09201960Corvair20042.jpg

Ron: MAN! That '71 looks simply awesome! Looks like it has '70 issued wheel covers. Or did they come on the '71 kit?

It is funny how things turn out on real cars. I went in a Ford/Mercury dealer in 2004 to look another Lincoln Town Car. I had a Town Car in green, 1996 with 130k and had seen a black one with a glass sun roof (dealer installed) on the lot. Few hours later I was signing the paper work for a brand new 2004 black Mustang five speed at a little over a week away till college. One of the moments in your life that your pretty sure you lost it and ask yourself what on earth did you do. Longest car I ever owned, sold it this time last year.

• 2 weeks later...

She looks real classy. I liked the way you had built her the first time, but have to agree, than the color combo now is nicer.

I have plans for another '76 in that color combination I originally had. I kinda miss that one in my collection.

• 1 year later...

Can't believe I missed this one when it was new! Exceptional build! Jonny, if you're still around here, I've got to tell you I agree with Ron: best big Chevy model from the 70's I've ever seen!! And , your dashboard is phenomenal! Stunning!

Check in with your more recent work.

• 2 weeks later...