Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Tamiya Datsun 240ZG

stump

• 1 month later...
Cool,Greg, I'm Definately lookin forward to it! i KNOW it'll be another KILLER Daddy-O!!! REAL GOOD ta see ya back at it, an GREAT hearin from ya!!! ;);)

Cheers George.. ;) (man..can't believe how quick that month went.... :huh: ...)

Just wanted to drag this back, as the dust is about to get blown off the Datto again......YAY !!! :P

I will have a "test" shot of my wheels an tyres in the next day or two......YES, THEY ARE READY.....WOOHOO..... :huh::)

They will be available for sale in the very near future (1-2 weeks..)....thought the day would never arrive..... :D

Well...was a little longer than "a day or two"....... :lol: .....

Fresh outta the mail this arvo......I have a set of "test" samples.....NICE ! B)

Please excuse the dirtiness....I didn't even give them a clean for pics... <_< ....but they DO look great.

Clean up will be minimal, and I feel once the tyres have a scrub down, they will yield a very convincing street tyre....

Rims will only need a slight clean up on the inside of the outer half, along with the spokes. :P

I'm negotiating on a set (4) of turned aluminium valve stems with a very reputable guy, so I can add those to each set.. B)

Enquires may be forwarded to me here, or by PM..

PICS.....

NEWwhty09002-vi.jpg

NEWwhty09006-vi.jpg

NEWwhty9006-vi.jpg

NEWwhty9012-vi.jpg

Cheers guys.....more soon.....

Greg

Edited by stump

OOOO Greg, them rascals look GREAT!!! Especially when you think of their size! hey, the wait wasn't bad, caz anything worth havein,is WORTH the wait! these certainly are! Don't worry bout how clean they are, after a lap, they WON'T be!!

Greg, this is gonna be even MORE fun than it has been! Seein this bad boy come together has been SOOOOO cool! I can't wait ta see it finished, no matter how long it takes!!! B):lol::D

• 3 weeks later...
Tires and wheels look Awesome.

Really Awesome..

What did you mold the tires with?

My friend Molds lots of parts but can't seem to find anything

to mold tires with but hard Resin.

Thanks Rodney. :)

Mate, I had a friend make these for me...I believe he used a "rubber" compound to form the tyres...not sure of it's origin..

They were offered in "soft, medium or hard" compound....I chose medium. They feel good. I didn't want them to squash after years sitting on the shelf. ;)

Packages are ready for shipment....Any takers ?.... :D:lol:

tyreset1003-vi.jpg

Cheers guys.

Thanks Rodney. :)

Mate, I had a friend make these for me...I believe he used a "rubber" compound to form the tyres...not sure of it's origin..

They were offered in "soft, medium or hard" compound....I chose medium. They feel good. I didn't want them to squash after years sitting on the shelf. ;)

Cheers guys.

Thanks, My friend is trying to find that Rubber stuff for tire molding..

Hard Resin tires aren't that great.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Figured it was due time to get yous up to speed...:P

I got pretty busy over the Christmas break....aaaah, 3 weeks annual leave sure pays off.......

First off, I tackled the rear duck-tail spoiler for the hatch. Relatively easy sheet plastic and 2-part putty....

jan2010005-vi.jpg

In place on the hatch. It will bolt on from beneath as on the 1:1 variety.....

jan2010007-vi.jpg

Attention was then directed towards some interior work....

Tamiya supply a beaut pre-molded rubber like interior tray which does look good.....but I had plans for something just a little bit wilder.... :blink:

After finding several good reference pics, I did this.......

jan2010002-vi.jpg

I know the holes are not entirely accurate......it's all about saving weight....................:lol:

jan52010002-vi.jpg

Rear floor area was smoothed and new boxes behind the seats were built up from plastic sheet..

jan72010005-vi.jpg

Next was the installation of a "safety" item....................

jan092010014-vi.jpg

jan102010009-vi.jpg

Since the interior was shaping up ok, I decided to send the motor to the "shop"......................MAJOR overhaul time. :D

The head was stripped down.........................

jan10a2010015-vi.jpg

The order went out for a new head as the old one was warped from an overheating drama........:lol:

The apprentice come back with this.......

jan162010012-vi.jpg

Hopefully with some more sanding and trimming this will resemble an OS Giken Twin-Cam head. :D

I managed to keep the height pretty close, thanks to a buddy from another board. Beside the standard motor they almost look similar....

jan162010001-vi.jpg

Work has continued today on the rocker cover, it should be close to done by tomorrow.....

Hope you like where I'm heading with it.....it has been a blast so far...

Many thanks guys

cheers

Greg

Hey Greg, its nice to see some more work, lol. i love it, lol. wow that looks awsome!!!!!!! and about the holes not being accurate....... dont worry about it, lol. i have found alot of people doing different stuff trying to save wieght in cars. i had a friend that had a suzuki swift, and he took the front bumper bar and drill over 100 holes in it, lol. it looked like a giant cheese grater, lol. and wow, that twin cam looks awsome too! i can't wait to see more on this big bad boy! lol. i hope you have a good one, and keep up the fantastic work!

Stumpman, I always tell ya good stuff is worth waitin for!!! It's lookin GOOD homie! The interior is commin out GREAT! Like Brad says, the holes look like they belong there, it's a racer for cripes sakes! Don't know what a racein 6 looks, like at least not what Datsun 6 looks like. But it does look like i would expect one to look like.

Does THAT make sense? Anyway I'm lookin forward to seein this bad boy's updates Daddy-O, Jus keep 'em commin!!!biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif

• 3 months later...

Hey guys...back from a mini hiatus.....purchased a new set of wheels and been having waay too much fun driving....;)

So after some 2......um, 5 months break, it's time to get busy once more...:huh:

Most of what follows has been finished a while.....just never got around to posting.....B) sorry....

The rocker cover has been finished........twice. Hood clearance issues with the first version saw about 4-5mm of fat trimmed off the head and rocker cover...;)

This was the initial trial fit.....

OSGikenjan252010008-vi.jpg

Also, note.....the engine tilts the opposite way to what it is supposed too.....on purpose. :D I swapped engine mounts, cut off the tranny and re-aligned it.

This also involved re-modding the sump to slant the other way....Whilst at it I made a sort of race style sump....

OSGikenjan262010009-vi.jpg

This is how the rocker finished.....well, almost. Still some detail painting to do.....

OSGikenjan312010019-vi.jpg

Started adding extras like the water bypass hose.....

OSGikenfeb072010004-vi.jpg

Nestled in for another trial.....

OSGikenfeb072010012-vi.jpg

New headers from 3.2mm solid solder made to suit. The water pipe along the head is fitted too..Lots of tiny bolts.......

OSGikenfeb072010033-vi.jpg

That's where we're at for now.......I'm also working on my "stock" conversion of the Safari car, so updates may be slow......

Thanks for stopping by guys.

cheers

Greg

looking very nice!

about the cam cover, i take it you mean you basically lowered its profile on top of the head. i have to say it looks much better this way. maybe its not prototypically correct, i dont know, but it looks great with the lower profile.

thanks for posting more pics, its really looking good!

Thanks JB and George..;)

JB, yes. I actually trimmed approx 1.5mm off the top of the head itself, then approx 2.5mm off the cam cover.

It really looks a lot closer to the 1:1 version now...so I'm glad I had to do it......:) It also gave me an excuse to add the OS logo, which I wasn't going to worry about.

George, yeah.....figured it was high time I got my butt into gear....:lol: Goin' alright mate..;) How you doin' these days..? All good I hope man.

More soon guys...

cheers

Greg

post-3007-12729541196436_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well.....long overdue update time again.........:D

240Z "Showroom stock"

Yes, you read that right.....I have started on my second big Datsun. :lol: The first one is still a work in progress, but I decided to get this rolling too....

A lot of work has been completed over the last month or two.....Here's a start......

I had saved a few of the major components from the first build, especially to add to this one...main items being the fuel tank, spare wheel housing and interior parts....

As it turned out, that was the easiest part of this build..................

stockzmay102010003-vi.jpg

The voids in the front chassis rails got smoothed, I added the top of the firewall (after it was carefully cut from the body), added some ribs and bumps, plus a new hood latch.

stockzmay102010001-vi.jpg

From there on in....things got a bit tougher.......

First challenge was to fabricate an exhaust system, as most of the key items were already in use on the first car....

My first design was a twin-pipe duel tip........

stockzfeb222010023-vi.jpg

As happy as I was, most of my reference showed that a single pipe system would be much more accurate......so I then made this.....

stockzmar182010007-vi.jpg

Attention was then directed back to the motor. It had been assembled and painted some time ago......

I needed to make a heat shield, this was cut from .5mm sheet, added some ribs, a couple of holes, and it was ready to bolt in place.

stockzmay102010006-vi.jpg

stockzmay122010009-vi.jpg

Continues......................

It was time to add some detail to the SU carbs.....They are nice enough as they were, just needed some extra fuel connections...

Oh, and I added a choke assembly to them as well, as it would appear to be a common feature.....

stockzmay162010006-vi.jpg

I made a new fuel rail from .7mm solder. It is held together by two fuel blocks and two brackets, which bolt it to the cam-cover and front engine plate.

stockzmay182010001-vi.jpg

Once this and the carbs were added, it was starting to take shape nicely.....Plus the addition of a few vacuum lines.....

stockzmay182010004-vi.jpg

stockzmay182010008-vi.jpg

The air cleaner.......I think this is where I got distracted and went nuts......:lol:

I made the top removable and made a foam element for it......but the tight confines in the engine bay mean it will either stay on or off....?????

stockzmay252010003-vi.jpg

With the air cleaner added, some plug leads and some finishing off, this is where it's at.....still need to finish the starter motor too.....

stockzmay292010002-vi.jpg

stockzmay292010011-vi.jpg

stockzmay292010010-vi.jpg

Continues........................

The last couple of days I have worked on the fuel and brake lines...(a week off work helps..:P )

stockzjune062010005-vi.jpg

At the rear, the fuel supply and return lines connect to two rubber hoses.....I made tiny insulators to fit over each line too..

stockzjune06a2010005-vi.jpg

Towards the engine bay...............

stockzjune06a2010011-vi.jpg

I also made a new fuel filter and bracket....the kit part looked a little small.............???

stockzjune06a2010004-vi.jpg

Engine bay taking shape. :D Fuel filter installed, along with two new brake proportioning/distribution valves....

stockzjune082010001-vi.jpg

Working on the brake master cylinder/booster right now....it will then go in and finish connecting the brakes. ;)

Then I just need to nut out how I intend to add some realistic wiring looks.......:lol: I'll let you know how that goes.................:lol:

More soon guys...

cheers

Greg

Just a little more happening lately.......

Tried my first attempt at wiring.............:P A second loom is in the works, as this one just doesn't quite do it for me......:lol:

stockzjune102010009-vi.jpg

And just a teaser of the motor in place.....Still need to sort a few issues yet.....

stockzjune112010004-vi.jpg

Yesterday I did some final testing/fitting of the last pieces of throttle linkage.......

stockzjune132010003-vi.jpg

stockzjune132010006-vi.jpg

I'm waiting on some more supplies (cable ties, etc) so I can secure the wiring in place, so updates will slow for a while.....

More as it happens guys

cheers

Greg

Well you know me well enough to know i wouldn't lie to ya Stumpman. I DON'T think I've EVER seen a 260 Datsun engine compartment. BUT, I got a feelin that if I ever DID, it would look like THAT! Your just cruisein into it now Daddy-O, take your time an button that bad boy up nice an tight, an just show that rascal off!!!!laugh.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif