Model Cars Magazine Forum

People recasting stuff that you mastered without your permission

I was going to send you a P.M. but I think it's more important for the board to see how this whole thing was worked out in public. Gentleman to gentleman. I agree with the "little fish" comment, although each and every one of us do aspire to be the big fish, otherwise what's the point right? I'm sure I will be having more than one conversation with Mother Mopar in the future and you all have my word I will do what I can to continue doing what I do.

If I get big enough that Chrysler corporation feels it's due something i'll swim that river when I get to it. :)

SpkGibson , et al. - While I certainly agree that "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery" , I also completely understand where Steve's coming from ; I absolutely empathise with this righteous assertion that (to paraphrase) : " I don't want someone turning out [my 1972 Demon grille] as a poor attempt at copying my original part..."

Personally , I had some of my artwork plagerised ; and , no , I wasn't very happy .

To wit : the elementery school I attended (1975-1982) had a Lynx mascot . In 1980 , the school held a contest to see who could design the best illustration of a Lynx , and said illustration would be chosen as the school's newsletter's header .

I won the contest ; all was good .

Fast-forward to c.1985 . One of my sister's friends went to the same school where I created their mascot . On a t-shirt she was wearing was the school's name , and my Lynx design !

Too add "insult" , my signature was ostensibly missing !

At first I was irritated ; then , the more I thought about it , I concluded that , "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery" !

I know , apples-to-oranges . However , the sentiment is the same : the creator of "x" original item , etc. , should feel that righteous sensation of "Don't mess with my design !" .

Please keep on creating your awesome parts for our beloved scale MoPars , Steven ! Your work is nothing short of amazing !

SpkGibson , et al. - While I certainly agree that "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery" , I also completely understand where Steve's coming from ; I absolutely empathise with this righteous assertion that (to paraphrase) : " I don't want someone turning out [my 1972 Demon grille] as a poor attempt at copying my original part..."

Personally , I had some of my artwork plagerised ; and , no , I wasn't very happy .

To wit : the elementery school I attended (1975-1982) had a Lynx mascot . In 1980 , the school held a contest to see who could design the best illustration of a Lynx , and said illustration would be chosen as the school's newsletter's header .

I won the contest ; all was good .

Fast-forward to c.1985 . One of my sister's friends went to the same school where I created their mascot . On a t-shirt she was wearing was the school's name , and my Lynx design !

Too add "insult" , my signature was ostensibly missing !

At first I was irritated ; then , the more I thought about it , I concluded that , "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery" !

I know , apples-to-oranges . However , the sentiment is the same : the creator of "x" original item , etc. , should feel that righteous sensation of "Don't mess with my design !" .

Please keep on creating your awesome parts for our beloved scale MoPars , Steven ! Your work is nothing short of amazing !

well after having an Angina attack....And seeing a Cardiologist Tuesday .....And findin out.....I have NOTHING wrong with my heart....After worrying about it for 8 years.....It was as if I got another chance to live a long productive life....Me and my Wife Kelly are ecstatic......So now I need to calm down . Anyways...I still have alot of ideas for parts...I just couldn't let down my other family ....You guys on here.....Things do happen in life for a reason....And it's to short to worry about trivial stuff.....Here's a tip for anyone building the '71 Scamp remove 1/4 inch off the back mid quarter...doing so little mod will in fact make the body exactly like the real car....That's how much longer the body is...Then it should be...Also....When it comes to the grill for the car....Cut the Duster 340 grill out of the chrome part....And do the same to the Valiant/Scamp grill.....And now you have the insert to use in the Chrome part....And also....It's alot easier to detail the grll..

well after having an Angina attack....And seeing a Cardiologist Tuesday .....And findin out.....I have NOTHING wrong with my heart....After worrying about it for 8 years.....It was as if I got another chance to live a long productive life....Me and my Wife Kelly are ecstatic......So now I need to calm down . Anyways...I still have alot of ideas for parts...I just couldn't let down my other family ....You guys on here.....Things do happen in life for a reason....And it's to short to worry about trivial stuff.....Here's a tip for anyone building the '71 Scamp remove 1/4 inch off the back mid quarter...doing so little mod will in fact make the body exactly like the real car....That's how much longer the body is...Then it should be...Also....When it comes to the grill for the car....Cut the Duster 340 grill out of the chrome part....And do the same to the Valiant/Scamp grill.....And now you have the insert to use in the Chrome part....And also....It's alot easier to detail the grll..

I hope it wasn't because someone copied those parts that caused your angina to attack you ?

I hope it wasn't because someone copied those parts that caused your angina to attack you ?

Okay...someone has to say it...might as well be me...That's bad juju! :D My aunt Gina attacked me once but I had it coming. I called her fat. :huh:

Edited by MAGNUM4342

No that wasn't the cause....Stress from taking care of my mother....She had a stroke last April.....And it's a pain dealing with her.....She's a mess even with hospice care.

I knew a guy a few years ago who would buy memorabilia (Star Wars and Star Trek stuff) and figures that other people had made. He would make a mold of it to sell on Ebay and at shows. He was pretty bold about it, sometimes he wouldn't even take the copyright off of the legit stuff before making a mold. He said that the big guys were too busy to pick on a little guy like him.