Model Cars Magazine Forum

I started a in progress thread awhile ago, but got lost in that shuffle. I didn't repost until I got a bit more done. I'm building a model of a '72 Hayes COE my Dad drove, from a AITM F-Mack. Although he offers a Hayes, I went with the mack because it doesn't have molded in headlights or A/C. I sort of started this 15 years ago with a MTFAC cab, which was too much work for me at the time, see the side by side. From the 1:1 pics, I'm going for the black paint.

So far, I chose the KW 123 as a donor, which adds a bit of a challege, but has most of what I need, spring suspention, cummins, etc. I have a Pewter grill from ????? but looks good to me. I've so far scrach built a battery box, modified a Diamon reo bumper, and for the tanks I used the K123 tanks with Diamond Reo end caps, the mounts are from a Frieghtliner COE & I took about 2mm off the top, and added a strip to to the top. The straps are .015" sheet plastic.

Lots to do on this one, it will be a suprise hopfully by Aug, its hard to get info about it, since my dad sold it when I was 2.

hayes1_zpsda4471a4.jpg

hayes3_zps8ed9fe69.jpg

DSC01332_zps1b25d7d3.jpg

DSC01336_zps206c435e.jpg

DSC01337_zpsec0b758a.jpg

DSC01878_zps016b17a0.jpg

DSC01887_zps6837e30d.jpg

DSC01880_zpsf08008a3.jpg

Edited by Modelmikey

Good start, Mike. I never tire of seeing these older cabovers. :)

Do you have a 'macro' lens setting on your camera/cell phone? That might help with getting the close up detail shots a bit more in focus.

I do appologize for the poor pics, the camera has lots of settings, BUT we took it to a sandy beach, and well, the sand prevents the button from turning. I'll get my hands on a better camera and get some better pics :lol:

I snapped a few more pictures with my phone which turned out waaay better. Here are the Peterbilt mufflers, the elbows I made from 5mm rod and aluminum tube, and the KW 123 exhaust piping (I didn't like the KW elbows). Front shot of cab with Pewter grill, and headlights from a Revell KW COE kit, they are only .03" wider then the AMT round headlights found in several kits, but eyeball engineering to me looks better.

cab_zps36badeb1.jpg

stuff_zps47e6768f.jpg

exhaust_zpsc9230981.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Small update, with so much snow I've spend more time shoveling then building. My dads truck had a toolbox behind the cab, so I scrach built this one, and here is some stuff to put in it, mostly from the Italeri accessories kit. The pry bar I made from 1/16" aluminum rod, and flattened the ends, then filed to suit.Thats a photo etch hinge, I'll put the top on after its painted

stuff_zps08ee4716.jpg

Edited by Modelmikey