Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 plymouth golden commando engine

I'm building the new amt christine model and i have looked all over the web and can not find what color the engine block is and i have watched the movie over and over the only color i can make out is a goldish copper in the sceene were christine rebuilds after buddy and gang smash the car any help would be great

Well the engine should be the blue chrysler used at that time. But it was a movie car and john carpenter or who ever made the choice to paint the block the same red as the car. I couldn't find the site that I had read that on again but it came from the movie guy who was responsible for upkeep on all the cars in that movie. This web page supports what I read because there is a picture of the engine http://christinemoviecar.com/ which is painted red

The Pamphlet I have lists all Plymouth & Dodge engines from 1928 to 1960 as Aluminum

Aircleaners are listed as black. It also states colors could be reversed black engine with aluminum/sliver aircleaner

Valve covers could also be black on aluminum engines, aluminum/silver on black.

Dual/tri-carb aircleaners are listed as Gold..

But this was listed as factory. Not sure how good his research was back then.

Use Frame captures, watch the movie to determine Christine's engine color.