Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to Make Body Panels

Okay, let me give this a try, my system with uploading tonight doesn't want to work.. so I will use afew photos that I have uploaded afew days back to give you all the basic idea until I can get things here iron out.

First you start out with a very thin piece of metal of some short, any kind that you are use to working with and that can be bent and form by hand. I like to use alumin cake pan so that is how I will discrib my stuff, you will get the general idea. I cut a piece of alum cake pan bigger then the panel area is. I then lay the piece down on the area of the model shell I want to make the panel for on or to replicate the panel. I do my best to fold a small portion of one edge to act as a hanger arm to attach to the model shell from under side the side. Now say your doing the tail end just notch the very small corner of the alum piece so you an fold the piece around the tail area and part of the side portion of the tail panel.

427804_3904062124292_850635211_n.jpg

427804_3904062164293_1849632936_n.jpg

Once you have the piece in place and bent under the side panel. Take your hand and start rubbing back and forth starting at the bottom and working your way up the side panel getting all the indention's that the shell has.

543051_3904035163618_1555002983_n.jpg

When you finish, you should have a panel something like this or maybe even better as this one ripped on me.

525903_3904094485101_800281323_n.jpg

All you need is sizzers to cut the alum or what something to cut the stuff your using to make the panel out of. This idea will or would be great for you dio guys that likes to build garages and smashed up cars with bent car panels. This will even work on truck models as well.

• 2 weeks later...