Model Cars Magazine Forum

Very Interesting...

While at the LHS today I was browsing the magazine rack and realized there are some empty slots in the rack. While I did find my Model Cars Magazine, I noticed the "other" publication was missing. When I asked the owner, he told me dropped the "other" periodical due to rapidly declinign sales and increased stipulations for ordering the magazine.

I was at a Hobby Town last weekend and they also dropped a certain publication due to "increased hassles" when trying to deal with the publisher.

Gotta make you wonder what's going on...besides the obvious! Living proof that if you put a qiality publication together, they WILL come. Congrats on an awesome magazine Gregg!!! Your hard work is paying off.

How much is Gregg paying you guys to toot his horn? I'm sorry, but MCM, after 10 years still has a fanzine feel to it. I dont feel at all it's better than SA. The forum, yes, but not the magazine.

All magazines today are pretty much fanzines. they all are given free product they all write reviews based on said free product and advertisement. I read magazines for the ancillary articles how to this and how to that, Scratch building tips, and reader submissions. Rarely do I read kit reviews except to see the included parts.

I don't think you can really compare SA to MCM they are two completely different beasts in terms of magazines. SA has more manpower and money in one issue than MCM probably does in an entire year.

Would MCM be better off with larger issues and be bi-monthly to give them more time and bigger error margins probably but that's not the way they do it. I applaud what they are doing hundreds of magazines come and go in a year and many of them have more power and resources than MCM and MCM has stuck around for a while now.

Instead of hammering MCM on what they are doing wrong why not offer suggestions to fix the issues. One of my biggest issues with with MCM is that in the scratch building section they seems to skip common steps that the builder expects the reader to know. It's annoying to try and build exactly what is in the article and come to a point where what you have doesn't match up because the articles writer expects you to know something you don't. Now granted SA is the exact opposite laying everything out in such baby steps as to make me feel like I am in first grade that is annoying too.

I personally like the fanziney feel to MCM just like my favorite slot car mag (model car racing mag) it makes me feel like the writers actually care about the hobby and aren't just writing for a pay check. Could it be toned back a bit yeah and it would be nice but I would rather feel a connection with the magazine than feel nothing when I read it.

Gregg - if you read this you might want to contact the Model Car Racing Magazine guys, if you don't know them already, they had many of the same issues people are talking about here and they have pulled trough and made a really nice niche magazine. You guys might be able to bounce ideas off each other. From the look and feel of your magazines though you might actually use the same printer, lol.

Edited by ra7c7er

I've never seen a copy of Model Cars Magazine, but I bought my first copy of SA in at least 13 years on Friday and was terribly disappointed. It seems like 50% of the 60 pages were ads. The entire thing felt like a supplement that they'd give away at shows, not like a magazine I'd pay $6 (the most expensive of the 5 I bought and the least number of pages) for on the news stand. The content was weak, nice photography, but show coverage was slim and who wants a tutorial in building a complete kit? Id prefer individual tips amd tricks rather than a step by step on how to duplicate something someone else has already built. Their forum is also pretty lame.

I'm going to subscribe to MCM because I like the forum, support those that support you. This forum is free, as is emodelcars - has anyone priced out hosting costs for a high traffic site like this? Its not free, thats for sure You guys complain like a group of little girls. If you don't like something step up to change it - write an article and submit it. Nobody forces you to read, post, or subscribe. If ya don't like it, move on, there are lots of hobbies out there, I just like mine to be fun.

Ian,

You bought your first SA in 13 years and are disappointed with it. Did you register your complaint with them or are you going to just let it go quietly?

Comparing MCM to SA is a FAIR comparison as they both cater to the same interests, regardless of who the publisher is! Do I enjoy not getting my MCM on time? NO, I don't.

As was stated by Double D and Bluesman Mark, there is some progress to be made before MCM can be looked at the same way as SA. The buck stops with Gregg and only he can make the difference.

MCM is chock full of ads too, they just put them all together in about 4 or 5 pages. Tha's how magazines generate revenue. It isnt from subscribers like most think.

Ian,

You bought your first SA in 13 years and are disappointed with it. Did you register your complaint with them or are you going to just let it go quietly?

Comparing MCM to SA is a FAIR comparison as they both cater to the same interests, regardless of who the publisher is! Do I enjoy not getting my MCM on time? NO, I don't.

As was stated by Double D and Bluesman Mark, there is some progress to be made before MCM can be looked at the same way as SA. The buck stops with Gregg and only he can make the difference.

Probably not, aside from that post I'll probably never talk about it again, and I'm sure I'll keep buying it, lol.

I'm not seeing where anybody is blowing MCM out of the water. I'm also embarrassed to admit that I don't know what A Fanzine feels like. I read both, I've had stuff in both and I like both but in the last few years I feel that MCM gives me a little more. Consistency issues, content issues, thickness issues, punctuality issues, I think it's more a matter of what you've found in each rag that appeals to you and we all peak and valley. I can't pretend that I have a great knowledge of magazine making but I'm pretty sure there is more to it than what I am aware of. Either way, I do not want to see SAE decline or diminish or go away or whatever. It's no fun being number one if you're the only competitor, well, not as much fun.

Edited by samdiego

That's still three more issues than SA will give you for your yearly subscription... ;)

In reality, MCM is only 8 issues per year as their February issue is the contest annual.

Considering the last two issues of 2010 have yet to be received, how do you figure your 9 issues per year? Does that mean in 2011 I will actually get 11 issues because November and December 2010 will theoretically arrive in 2011? Or will November and December 2011 arrive in 2012?

Sounds like Enron math to me..................... :D

In reality, MCM is only 8 issues per year as their February issue is the contest annual.

So the contest issue isn't real? Is it an imaginary issue?

Let's put it this way:

SA: one year subscription-6 issues. The contest issue is not included and costs extra.

MCM: One year subscription-9 issues, which INCLUDES the contest issue at no extra cost.

"Do the math," as they say...

Harry, you still did not answer my question- will the last 2 issues of 2010 that should ship in 2011 count towards the 9 issues per year in 2011?

Yes, the contest issue is real, never disputed that. What I meant was that in reality, MCM puts out 8 issues that competes with Scale Autos 6. The MCM contest issue does not have tips, how tos or any features other contest coverage.

The fact that Scale Auto makes their contest issue a separate deal at additional cost does factor into my decision to subscribe to both magazines. The MCM 2010 contest issue was 75 pages, the 2010 Scale Auto was 115, worth paying the extra price for 40 more pages to me.

The fact that Scale Auto makes their contest issue a separate deal at additional cost does factor into my decision to subscribe to both magazines. The MCM 2010 contest issue was 75 pages, the 2010 Scale Auto was 115, worth paying the extra price for 40 more pages to me.

If you subscribe for a year (9 issues), you'll get 9 issues before your subscription runs out.

Unfortunately when you'll get them is beyond my control. I guarantee you, if it was under my control, the magazine would always be on time. Every single time.

As far as cost/value:

SA: One year subscription is $27.95 for 6 issues. Contest issue (if you want it) is $12.95 plus S/H.

MCM: One year subscription is $34.65 for 9 issues. (8 "real" issues plus a contest issue)

So if we disregard the contest issue, we get a per issue cost of $4.66 (SA) vs. $4.33 (MCM).

If we include the contest issue, we get an average per issue cost of $5.85 (SA) vs. $3.85 (MCM).

So there. I "did the math" for you... :lol: