Model Cars Magazine Forum

85 GMC Van 8/9/17 Fixed for Fotki

I just have one short section to fill with clay and it should be good to go, then I can work on the fronts, which would be very easy with the lathe.

I will keep the 3/4ton floater hub separate, so it can be used a 2wd truck also.. I will add a smooth slightly recessed center after.

PC204189-vi.jpg

PC204191-vi.jpg

Edited by RyanSilva

Ed and Clay, I really appreciate the comments. I'd have to bet it will be next year for a finish .. really do! B)

I got the new paint today and it IS the right stuff. I'll repaint the interior this week. The body is in primer and only needs me to get back and add the hinges before I start denting and rust holing it. (wow .. "holing" passed the spell check!)

Now, Ryan ... those rims look fantastic! B) When you're done, you be sure to post them in their own thread. I'm not sure how many have really seen them, though it seems there's plenty of lookers here. I'm sure you will have many takers for this set!

Now, tell me those AREN'T my rims! B)

rear tire P6291591

Edited by Foxer

I'm back on the job after a few things got in my way. First, here's the correct Dark Blue paint.

Dark Blue DSC 7667

The body is in full primer and only awaits the hinges ....

Body primer DSC 7670

Body primered DSC 7672

Speaking of hinges, I finally bit the bullet and started cutting the whittled down plastic tube into hinge lengths. While filing down the 3/32" (.0928) tube the inner hole became off center. The tube was chucked in a Dremel and I used a heavy sanding stick to take down the OD. I'm not sure why it ended with one wall thinner on one side using this method, but looking now at the photo I see I must have exerted uneven pressure on the sanding stick end to end along the tube. I had to stop around .073" OD as the wall got thin, but it's much better than the original ... even if 1.75" OD hinges ARE big! I feel good finally about these. :)

PLastic hinge DSC 7665

Edited by Foxer

I have been watching your GMC Van project. This one looks very good so far. Lots of modifications you have done, all of them are very nicely made, I mean that everything looks like how they are in 1:1 and those parts are sanded smooth. Awesome job with it so far, can't wait to see, what is coming in next update. :lol:

First, the hinges have have continued fighting me and getting absolutely dangerous! As I was cutting the tube and trimming the cut, I dropped the knife and instinctively closed my legs to catch it ... I did ... completely horizontal between my thighs and drove the blade into one thigh. It bled like a stuffed pig but did finally stop and close. Just another day in the shop. :lol:

So, I went on to finish the seats and made the mattress for the rear. Both patterns were printed out on good quality paper and stuck with Household Goo. That worked well. The passenger seat is the stock one with some half rounds giving the pattern on the new molded seat.

Interior Mockup DSC 7678

Edited by Foxer

Thanks, Clay ..but I don't understand that "finishing" word you used .... :lol:

Its when you run out of parts to put on a build, that's called "finished", they go in the "finished" section.

You know the section right underneath this section, its called the Under Glass section. Thats where the "finished" models go.

Mike,

The interior is incredible! The pattern on the driver's seat is exact. Where did you find it?

I had the one photo with part of the seat in it and was able to manipulate it in Photoshop enough so it looked right. Thanks for noticing! :rolleyes:

Thanks, Clay ..but I don't understand that "finishing" word you used .... :P

Its when you run out of parts to put on a build, that's called "finished", they go in the "finished" section.

You know the section right underneath this section, its called the Under Glass section. Thats where the "finished" models go.

oh! :rolleyes:

I wrote that down so I'll know where this has to go next.

Edited by Foxer

That is some incredible work you've done.! Your daughter is going to be amazed with what you've made. She'll be even more amazed if she were to read this forum and see the work you've put into this for her.

Merry Christmas and be careful during the holidays.

cposada...

That is some incredible work you've done.! Your daughter is going to be amazed with what you've made. She'll be even more amazed if she were to read this forum and see the work you've put into this for her.

Merry Christmas and be careful during the holidays.

cposada...

Thanks Cory. I have sent her a link to here and she is appreciating the work. :lol:

I'm going to try for a knife-free holiday, but those hinges keep staring at me ...

Have a happy holiday

Update on the wheels are, I got the first master in silicone now curing, tomorrow I will see what my copy will look like, then I can fit one of my 8 bolt 3/4ton hub in the center. (stole it from a amt dirt track car)

What do the front wheels look like, just a dust cap conical type center?

Sorry I missed answering this,Ryan .. but I'm not sure what the front rims look like bare. All my photos have the dog dish caps on. I would expect they are as you say.

Edited by Foxer

Mike, this post is like the "Energizer Bunny".......it just keeps going, and going, and going.....seriously, this is looking great....I am following along....keep it going.....buy the way, Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. :)

hehehe ... and I got new Lithium batteries for Xmas! :angry:

Thanks, Peter, and a Merry one for you and your family! :angry:

Just to prove I'm back on the hinges and progressing. These are all plastic and hopefully the plastic to plastic joints will survive. This image has all the hinges pieces glued and curing along with another engine shot with headers in place.

plastic hinges and engineDSC 7753

Now, I got another surprise when reviewing progress with my daughter over the holidays. What I thought were plastic garbage bags in the van photos were actually black bean bag chairs! So it was off to the net to locate some bean bag chair patterns and a pair of old leather gloves pulled out of service! ;)

This should prove interesting getting it all to stick together. I'm considering just sewing the pieces together and filling with some sand so it keeps shape. I could probably find some Styrofoam small enough but I think the scale will be too small for the foam to hold shape. Gluing the pieces (6 sides and circles top and bottom) would be too fragile and may make the leather too stiff along the seams.

beanbag pattern DSC 7757

Edited by Foxer