Model Cars Magazine Forum

clear coat

Hi everyone i just wanted to share a clear coat i found that seems to work great. i paint my models with nail polish using my airbrush and i started using this clear. and i have to say i have great luck with it and it levels out great. only down side is it does take about 3 days to dry.

post-9064-0-98445800-1400863224_thumb.jp

My buddy with the '54 Chevy you see in my avatar painted his engine and it was soft for months. A shop told him that's because engine paints partially count on the heat of the engine to cure it. For that reason I've never used engine paint for modeling. Might also explain why yours levels so nicely, but over time does it get rough from shrinkage?

"The dry time never bothers me as I let all sit for a period of at least a week."

Same here Carl, I acquired lots of Testors enamel and let them dry several weeks, or years :D but I have been on the lookout for a reasonably priced dehydrator (free or close to it). I do have projects that it would be nice to move along quickly but there is never a shortage of things to get done. At least for me. Thanks for sharing Matthew.

Enamels are notoriously slow to dry. That's why I like lacquers or acrylics. ;)

That's exactly why I don't use them Harry ? & they're just TOO temperamental. So many other types around that are way better, for final results/polishing, that enamels are basically pointless in comparison. ??

I use Future floor wax. Easy to put on (I use cotton balls). Levels itself well. Dries fast. And I have not notice any yellowing over time. A trick thought to me by other members of my local model car club. After nearly 10 years, I've been very happy with it.

Scott